KCCI-TV and Heidi Soliday "part company"

PlymouthCy

Mar 21, 2006
Hinton
Visit site
KCCI-TV and Heidi Soliday "part company"

November 5, 2007

1 Comment

Heidi Soliday, the first local female sports director in U.S. history, no longer will fill that role at KCCI TV-8 in Des Moines, according to a press release from the station.

Soliday, 54, has worked at KCCI for 31 years.

The reason for Soliday’s departure was not provided. Soliday has not returned telephone calls from The Des Moines Register during the past month seeking comment.

In mid-October, representatives of the Register’s business department asked KCCI about Soliday’s absence from the air. KCCI's news director said at the time that Soliday remained employed at the station, but declined to discuss her status.

The press release from KCCI did not mention who would succeed Soliday as sports director.

Soliday began work at KCCI as a part-time sports and news photographer in 1976. She has covered the World Series, Masters, NCAA men’s and women’s Final Fours, the Heisman Trophy and scores of Iowa athletic events.

“We wish Heidi nothing but the best,†KCCI president and general manager Paul Fredericksen said in a statement. “She’s been part of our proud tradition for 31 years.â€

Soliday was quoted in a statement: “Wow, 31 years. What a run. It’s time for this old dog to learn some new tricks!� ?

DesMoinesRegister.com

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Heard that Jim Rose, who was the voice of Nebraska Football during Calahan times, was moved from his job, for low ball comments bengtruthful about the inept play in Lincoln. He did not broadcast the 76-39 game. They brought in a fellow from kansas on Thursday tohandle duties. My my, but people are getting touchy about their Big red.

Yes, we will be on TV six times to, at the most, four times for nebraska (Nevada, Missouri, USC, Colorado). Times change.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Not that this was a big suprise... everyone saw it coming for weeks.

And then Fales leaving his station in KC all of a sudden??? hmmmm.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Not only that, but Hearst-Argyle owns and operates both KCCI and the Kansas City affiliate that Andy worked at for a few months.

Supposedly, KCCI's GM got on M&M's show and said they have no interest in Fales. Freaking please. They would kill to get Andy and take some sports viewership back from WHO.

PlymouthCy

Mar 21, 2006
Hinton
Visit site
Heard that Jim Rose, who was the voice of Nebraska Football during Calahan times, was moved from his job, for low ball comments bengtruthful about the inept play in Lincoln. He did not broadcast the 76-39 game. They brought in a fellow from kansas on Thursday tohandle duties. My my, but people are getting touchy about their Big red.

Yes, we will be on TV six times to, at the most, four times for nebraska (Nevada, Missouri, USC, Colorado). Times change.

I was listening to Big Sports 590 on the way back from the game and a caller commented on him not being there. The host quickly said it was "personal reasons" and dropped the caller. I do enjoy listening to his play by play, especially this season :)

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Andy Fales is terrible... Have you ever tried to have a conversation with him about sports? He knows nothing... Why do you think he has to throw so much comedy into it...

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
People watch sports coverage on KCCI? Soliday was bad at best.

Excactly, get someone with Charisma like Fales, and now have the best sportscaster, following the best weather, following the best newscast. Good problem for KCCI to have.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I'm a big fan of Andy. He is WAY better than the young guy on channel 13. Keith and John are better than Andy, but no one else is.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Excactly, get someone with Charisma like Fales,

When it comes to charisma, I prefer Charisma Carpenter.
charisma_carpenter_1.jpg

Last edited:

goldmember

May 31, 2006
According to Frederickson at KCCI, Fales is not coming to work at KCCI. At least that is what he said on Marty and Miller this afternoon.

ppclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Bottom Line Communications

Andy Fales came to KMBC-TV9 in June of this year a sports anchor to eventually take over the top sports job when icon Len Dawson retires. However, that is no longer the case as Fales, 36, announced he will be leaving KMBC to return to Des Moines for personal reasons.
Shortly before Fales was hired the station canned long-time weekend sports guy Bill Pikus (below). Fales will stay on through the end of the year.