Kevin Warren moves on from B1G

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Wonder if this has any impact on the conference race and realignment given he seemed to have big visions and ideas for the Big 10.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Not even sure how I feel about this because nobody knew his future vision and how it will affect ISU. If he had a passion for trying to get Oregon, Wash, etc than that would change things.
I don't see how UCLA and USC don't push to get more PAC12 teams in the BIG so they are not on an island.
So the new guy will have his work cut out.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Show up

Set everything on fire

Leave

The Covid decisions were a mess but that can mostly be laid upon the decisions by the school presidents. As for realignment...what has he done that hasn't been good for the Big Ten? And TV contract? I guess if you mean set everything on fire as meaning the rest of college football I would agree with you. But as much as I hate to say it...he is leaving the Big Ten is a very strong position. And if they hire the ACC commisioner to replace him they will even be better off (he will know exactly how to bring UNC/UVa and others on board).

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
The Covid decisions were a mess but that can mostly be laid upon the decisions by the school presidents. As for realignment...what has he done that hasn't been good for the Big Ten? And TV contract? I guess if you mean set everything on fire as meaning the rest of college football I would agree with you. But as much as I hate to say it...he is leaving the Big Ten is a very strong position. And if they hire the ACC commisioner to replace him they will even be better off (he will know exactly how to bring UNC/UVa and others on board).
Yep, I do mean CFB as a whole

Reactions: cyfanatic

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
They hire Yormark, and he merges the PAC, Big12, and ACC into the B1G and renames it "The American Collegiate Athletics Association of America"

Reactions: Prone2Clone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Agree, and I do hope Phillips is the next commish.

Reactions: cyfanatic

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
B1G football is just Ohio State, a few B listers, and the rest of their little buddies.

Herby almost slipped on his lotion in the booth during the title game equating TCU’s blowout to a narrative that the Big 12 and PAC can’t hang with the SEC and the B1G.

Michigan got dogwalked by UGA in the CFP last season and lost to TCU a few weeks ago. The B1G isn’t what they think they are. Influence and $ will get more of their teams in the expanded playoff. I don’t see them winning a title outside Columbus anytime soon.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Not even sure how I feel about this because nobody knew his future vision and how it will affect ISU. If he had a passion for trying to get Oregon, Wash, etc than that would change things.
I don't see how UCLA and USC don't push to get more PAC12 teams in the BIG so they are not on an island.
So the new guy will have his work cut out.
The rumors were that he wanted to go to 20 and add Stanford, Oregon, Washington, and ND, but some of the current Big 10 presidents wouldn't sign off on it. Not sure how real that was, but wouldn't shock me if he felt there were too many egos to answer to in the commissioner role. Now he only has to answer to the McCaskey's lead the new stadium project (and likely team sale in the next decade or so).

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
B1G football is just Ohio State, a few B listers, and the rest of their little buddies.

Herby almost slipped on his lotion in the booth during the title game equating TCU’s blowout to a narrative that the Big 12 and PAC can’t hang with the SEC and the B1G.

Michigan got dogwalked by UGA in the CFP last season and lost to TCU a few weeks ago. The B1G isn’t what they think they are. Influence and $ will get more of their teams in the expanded playoff. I don’t see them winning a title outside Columbus anytime soon.
Herby is fine breaking down some things on field I guess but when gets to macro stuff, he's a complete twat.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Snydes and alarson

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The rumors were that he wanted to go to 20 and add Stanford, Oregon, Washington, and ND, but some of the current Big 10 presidents wouldn't sign off on it. Not sure how real that was, but wouldn't shock me if he felt there were too many egos to answer to in the commissioner role. Now he only has to answer to the McCaskey's lead the new stadium project (and likely team sale in the next decade or so).
Yeah he went from having 16 bosses with differing views/goals to just having to appease a family rep. I’d take that move in a heartbeat.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I highly doubt ND was ever in the fold.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The next Commish is basically starting on 3rd base, I would think it would be hard to phuck it up.

The national media is freaking out that Big Ten teams didn't still get to play in the national championship game after losing in the semifinals. Biggest layup job in history of American sports.

Even when they lose, they win in the media.

I can't remember the last time Kansas lost one of their Final Four games and the media was outraged KU didn't still get to play in the championship game.

Reactions: Acylum and CyCrazy

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
why did he leave? more money? More stability? not sold on the future of college athletics?