Kinesio Tape - Does It Work?

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
..or is this just another type of 'snake oil' marketing? You saw it used a lot on Volleyball Players and Tennis, but not so much on NBA, or College Players.

Anybody use it? What is the purpose - to prevent muscle injury, or repair something already injured?

6hqbuw.jpg

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
i heard it's more of a 'placebo effect' for the athlete mentally... never actually seen anyone in person use it though

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
They had a booth at the Chicago Marathon Expo last year and would do a taping for free. I was having some issues with plantar faciatis so decided to give it a try and have them tape me up. I don't think it makes a huge difference, but there is SOME noticible difference.

At the booth they said it basically acts as an additional ligmaent or tendon, providing more support.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Its supposed to increase blood flow to the area taped. My chiro had me wear some for my back. I think it's a placebo more than anything.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Theory is to support an ailing muscle/tendon usually. I use it at work on athletes at work occasionally. Often times with an overuse injury (throwing, hitting a vball, distance running). I would not be surprised if it is pretty common in MLB, but you just can't see it with their uniforms.

For ligament it really isn't all that effective, as I would rather use McConnell tape or just regular athletic tape.

Just my 2cents.

But yes, I do have to guess there is a strong placebo effect.

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
They had a booth at the Chicago Marathon Expo last year and would do a taping for free. I was having some issues with plantar faciatis so decided to give it a try and have them tape me up. I don't think it makes a huge difference, but there is SOME noticible difference.

At the booth they said it basically acts as an additional ligmaent or tendon, providing more support.

About 3 months after my daughter was born she started to develop tortacollus(sp?) which caused her to hold her head mostly to the right and limited her movement to the left ... We were sent to a physical therapist and they used some of this on her weak side to strengthen that side of her neck and make it easier for her to move it that way ... Bolded part above is exactly how it was explained to me and also how we were able to see improvements for her ... Did weekly visits with leaving the tape on for 48 hrs and after about a month or so she had full ROM ....

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I can see it offering some support - kinda like taping your ankle, but how in the heck can it "stimulate" blood flow?

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
About 3 months after my daughter was born she started to develop tortacollus(sp?) which caused her to hold her head mostly to the right and limited her movement to the left ... We were sent to a physical therapist and they used some of this on her weak side to strengthen that side of her neck and make it easier for her to move it that way ... Bolded part above is exactly how it was explained to me and also how we were able to see improvements for her ... Did weekly visits with leaving the tape on for 48 hrs and after about a month or so she had full ROM ....

glad to hear it helped your daughter. do you think she had issues with her neck - muscle, vertebrate or tendons? or all three?

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I can see it offering some support - kinda like taping your ankle, but how in the heck can it "stimulate" blood flow?

I think the proposed theory is by 'lifting the skin' it improves lymphatic and blood flow.

Kinesio taping in treatment and prevention of sports injuries: a meta-analysis of the evidence for its effectiveness. --

That is an article stating there is no drastic clinical evidence to state that it does work to improve ROM or pain. A lot more research is needed to determine if it really works.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I was just thinking about this topic the other day when a diver had it on.
I always wondered if those woven/cloth titanium necklaces would be a fad or not, but I still see people wearing them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron