Kingland Systems update

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Why wouldn't you want beautiful old buildings, including an old theatre torn down for cookie cutter, crappy new construction. I can understand why a 19yr old wouldn't give a xxxx, but I would expect more from the city.

I'll take 'things clueless people say' for $1000, Alex.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Why would it need a name change, when it's still a busy, thriving bar?

The point was that it's been an example of a bar property that has changed. If they move, my guess is it would still be successful. The point wasn't about Yokes, really, more the bar scene in Campustown.

sleestakCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2013
CT should cater to the student population. But is it really too much to ask for ONE decent bar/restaurant that doesn't smell of vomit or bleach and have sticky floors with a decent bathroom for us parent/faculty/staff codgers? Café Beaudelaire is it right now I think. Perhaps the new development can accommodate us codgers.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
CT should cater to the student population. But is it really too much to ask for ONE decent bar/restaurant that doesn't smell of vomit or bleach and have sticky floors with a decent bathroom for us parent/faculty/staff codgers? Café Beaudelaire is it right now I think. Perhaps the new development can accommodate us codgers.

Cafe B is great for lunch, but if that is now what's considered a decent bathroom than things in Campus Town have gotten even worse than I remember!!

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Cafe B is great for lunch, but if that is now what's considered a decent bathroom than things in Campus Town have gotten even worse than I remember!!

Pretty much no bathrooms in campustown are considered "nice" though. Paddys and Yokes are acceptable. Cy's is still well Cy's. Even the Es Tas' men's bathroom is becoming a dump.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
The question that needs to be debated here is how much gentrification can the locals and the students settle on. There's a demand for both bars that have mug nights or 25 cent beers. There's a need for nice restaurants for profs to go to for lunch. The trick is to make is somewhere in the middle where the campus nightlife isn't closed off by a bunch of new businesses that shut down at 9pm.

I can tell you one thing, I really miss the college town nightlife that Ames has, especially in collegetown. Being in a similar university (NCSU) in the middle of a big city (Raleigh) that could give two rips about students - you really notice it. Everybody goes home on the weekends. Nobody serves beer in pitchers. Many restaurants near campus are too expensive for students. It's no fun. If you want to go out you have to catch a cab or a bus downtown and drink $5 beers and $6 shots all night. All of this because the city wants to cater to locals, even though there are restaurant/bar districts all over the city that already to the same.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think there are maybe 3 business left in the stretch they plan to demolish, not including their own building: the bar at the corner, a consignment/second hand clothing store and the glass pipe store. The other businesses either closed or moved already.

But...but....but....does not anyone need the glass pipe store?

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Isn't Paddy's completely renovating and up scaling to become an authentic Irish Pub? By up scaling I mean becoming a Certified Guinness Pourer and very nice maybe even authentic glassware. Pretty sure that is happening but I could be wrong. If so then I would like the Kingland remodel and maybe adding another higher standard pub like a Hessan Haus in Ames or a good German Pub. You will always have the clubs and cheap drink joints in campus town but with a few higher quality bars it could begin to offer more for eveyone.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

If a pee/vomit smelling bar doesn't bring back memories from college you did it wrong

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Came across the old proposed plan from LANE4 and JCorp, its interesting that the proposed kingland development looks nearly the same as what was proposed by Jcorp back then for that block (except 1 story shorter). Also, I think this answers the question of who the major retailer is (although I already had a hunch due to the drive-thru), CVS looks like a good bet.

Campustown Redevelopment » JCorp, inc.

Last edited:

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
The parking lot of the expansion plans... is that where the building for cocost\pita pit is?

Yep, the opening to the parking lot will be where that building is currently located (pita pit is actually already closed, not sure if that is due to this project though as they have had problems with management recently). I hope the final design looks better than what is proposed right now, they need to have brick on the first level too instead of glass (Doesn't fit into Campustown). I prefer the JCorp design to the preliminary Kingland one.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yep, the opening to the parking lot will be where that building is currently located (pita pit is actually already closed, not sure if that is due to this project though as they have had problems with management recently). I hope the final design looks better than what is proposed right now, they need to have brick on the first level too instead of glass (Doesn't fit into Campustown). I prefer the JCorp design to the preliminary Kingland one.

Yeah agreed.

I hope cocost can relocate somewhere, always loved going there

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
It's really good that Kingland is only going to use 2nd and 3rd floors for their business. If the 1st floor isn't exclusively bars/restaurants/retail I'll be upset.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames

Kingland has been doing a good job listening to everyone. The design continues to be refined. Rarely do final designs look exactly like concept drawings, so stay tuned.

MartyMcCy

Sep 6, 2011
Here is a rendering of the proposed Kingland building. There are more images in the 1st pdf linked below. They are hoping to start construction in "early 2014" and finish in the "2nd half of 2015".

657901_web_11-13-Kingland-29-picas-cmyk.jpg

Kingland presentation at the Ames City Council meeting last night.
http://www.cityofames.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=14675

From the Kingland website describing the development:
http://www.kingland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ames11-12.pdf

As part of the updated plans and renderings, Kingland has taken the continued direction and insights from a variety
of groups and made the following further refinements to its construction plan:
• Developed a more material statement with the structure at the corner of Lincoln Way and Welch Avenue
• Added a store front entrance for the major retailer at the southwest corner of the property on Welch Avenue
• Removed the drive-through element that was part of the initial major retailer plan
• Added a three level foyer and entrance on Lincoln Way for office users on the second and third floors
• Created three ground floor retail suites ranging from approximately 2,500 to 3,200 square feet
• Expanded parking capacity, adding subsurface parking on the southeast portion of the site for office staff
• Signage areas have been addressed with common bands for the retail users and with signage for office users at the foyer entrance

Article from the Ames Tribune:
Council approves plan to redevelop Campustown | Ames Tribune

More information from the City Council meeting can be found at the Hearings section (#30).
City of Ames : City Council - Nov. 12, 2013