Kinnick Flyover before IU-OSU game under investigation.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I didn't think it was that close, but I just found one video on youtube from one of the last rows on the east side of the stadium... it clearly looked like they were mere feet above the scoreboard! Epic flyover.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
The flight lead in that flyover is one of my best friends and yes, there is an investigation being conducted at this time. That is all I can say about it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLY8BAoRiN0&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Last edited:

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
The flight lead in that flyover is one of my best friends and yes, there is an investigation being conducted at this time. That is all I can say about it.

YouTube - Kinnick fly-by iowa vs ohio state 2010

What I heard was one of the pilots (don't know if it was your friend or not) was making his last flight and is a huge Hawk fan and these guy's had permission to flyover at 500 feet instead of the standard 1000. But if there is an investigation I guess they didn't have permission.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I thought I heard that the university gave them permission to go lower than 1,000 feet. So their CO might not have approved, even if they had clearance from the university.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
I thought I heard that the university gave them permission to go lower than 1,000 feet. So their CO might not have approved, even if they had clearance from the university.

It doesn't matter if the University gave them permission to fly lower. The 1000' AGL / 300 knot restriction is a written regulation that has to be followed and the only time the jets can go lower or faster is with specific permission from the Air Force and from the FAA and the only time they give permission for this is at airshows and for "special" events from such acts like the US Thunderbirds.

So yes, an investigation is still ongoing for this flyover and they were lower than 1000' AGL.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
It doesn't matter if the University gave them permission to fly lower. The 1000' AGL / 300 knot restriction is a written regulation that has to be followed and the only time the jets can go lower or faster is with specific permission from the Air Force and from the FAA and the only time they give permission for this is at airshows and for "special" events from such acts like the US Thunderbirds.

So yes, an investigation is still ongoing for this flyover and they were lower than 1000' AGL.

That's basically what I meant to say. I didn't know there was an actual regulation, but the basic idea still applies: University=cool with it, CO=P*SSED. lol

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Wonder if anyone got a talking to for this one:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLPC-4Mj3N8&NR=1]YouTube - TCU at NAVY FLY BY![/ame]

This is still my favorite flyover:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QtKmIUM-S8&feature=fvw]YouTube - Alabama vs. LSU 2005 Flyover[/ame]

Will be interesting to see what the results of this "investigation" are.

fanaticagain

Jun 6, 2009
I was at this Chiefs game a couple years back when a B2 bomber did a flyover. Flat awesome.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVaxslagP14[/ame]

Last edited:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
the Alabama-LSU isn't real, the plane disolves into the construction.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
the Alabama-LSU isn't real, the plane disolves into the construction.

That was a real flyover. All aircraft are members of the Alabama ANG with the KC-135 being out of Birmingham and the F-16's being out of Montgomery.

It does look like the jets disolve though into the construction but the flyover was actually real.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
How come there wasn't a single flyover at Jack Trice this season???

Iowa State has to request flyovers from the Pentagon. The easiest way if for the AD to get with the Commanders of the ROTC Detachments and request flyovers for certain games (I believe they can request 3 games for the entire season).

The other way is for an alum to request the flyover from the Pentagon themselves and then get with the ROTC Det and AD to work out the details.

Now if JT had neither, then that means the AD didn't request any and no alum requested any either.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
The Iowas AD is all over this. I expect the investigation will be thorough and fair, with the report from the ADs office to be forthcoming.

-keep

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
That was a real flyover. All aircraft are members of the Alabama ANG with the KC-135 being out of Birmingham and the F-16's being out of Montgomery.

It does look like the jets disolve though into the construction but the flyover was actually real.

And if you watch the last second of the video, you can see that the F-16's had pulled up and were climbing after they passed the stadium, while the 135 kept the same course.