KO at the Senior Bowl

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
I was just over on Yahoo! Sports and saw this article with some Senior Bowl coverage. Mike Tanier from Football Outsiders, a pretty sweet football site imo, said that KO stood out among other O-lineman, routinely putting defenders on their butts.

Hopefully whoever drafts KO puts him sticks him at guard. I think KO will end up in the first round if he continues to perform at the senior bowl, and I think he could be a Pro Bowl guard in the NFL.

Link: Mike Tanier’s Senior Bowl Report: Tuesday Morning Practice | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo! Sports

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I was just over on Yahoo! Sports and saw this article with some Senior Bowl coverage. Mike Tanier from Football Outsiders, a pretty sweet football site imo, said that KO stood out among other O-lineman, routinely putting defenders on their butts.

Hopefully whoever drafts KO puts him sticks him at guard. I think KO will end up in the first round if he continues to perform at the senior bowl, and I think he could be a Pro Bowl guard in the NFL.

Link: Mike Tanier’s Senior Bowl Report: Tuesday Morning Practice | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo! Sports

Please tell me you saw what school Marvin McNutt was listed under in the article:yes:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

I really want to see both KO and LJ end up in good organizations. It would suck to see KO drop to the top of the 2nd round and be drafted by a crappy team. A lot of good players have had their NFL careers wasted playing for crappy teams.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

not many guards drafted in the first round.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

It seems like it's becoming more common. A couple more OG's get drafte high each year.
There are at least two or three OG prospects (including KO) with a first round grade by multiple sources.

We'll see though.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011

True. But this year is a crazy strong guard class. DeCastro from Stanford WILL get taken in the 1st round, and Glenn from UGA also has a good chance. I've also seen a few mocks with KO as a late 1st round prospect. top of the 2nd is more likely, but it would be nice to have a 1st round pick.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It seems like it's becoming more common. A couple more OG's get drafte high each year.
There are at least two or three OG prospects (including KO) with a first round grade by multiple sources.

We'll see though.

just counted
2, 1st rounders last year but only 5 in the last 5 years.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
just counted

I agree. 2 is not a lot, but teams are starting to realize that they need to solidfy their OL up the middle.

There are a few teams that have needs on the interior OL. Cowboys, Steelers, Ravens, Pats...

In the end it all depends on who fall where, and who impresses who. I really want a 1st round pick from ISU though, even if it's to the Pats at 32.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Sure tackles are much more coveted position but if you need a OG, you are still going to take the OG. You may not give him top 15 money but a team in the bottom half of the first with OG as a need won't pass just because it's a OG. If he gets to the Pats, I see them taking him.

LJ is going to struggle to find the first 3 rounds, IMO. He measured small and has trouble out of press coverage.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I agree. 2 is not a lot, but teams are starting to realize that they need to solidfy their OL up the middle.

There are a few teams that have needs on the interior OL. Cowboys, Steelers, Ravens, Pats...

In the end it all depends on who fall where, and who impresses who. I really want a 1st round pick from ISU though, even if it's to the Pats at 32.

Cyhiphopp - WOW i would love to see the cowboys grab KO....that would be great. Probably not going to happen, if KO is there in the second round i will be disappointed for him, but, really happy for the cowboys.

Now here's another snippet on him....

Kelechi Osemele – Iowa State: I have to say I was impressed with the big man from Iowa State. He tooks reps at both tackle spots and at guard and showed flashes of terrific potential. He needs to get those long arms on pass rushers a little more quickly, but his ability to mirror and redirect when defensive ends tried to use spin moves inside on him was quite impressive.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
just counted

I think the new rookie wage scale will benefit players in positions that aren't typically 1st round picks. In the past, because of the giant salaries that first round picks commanded, it was common to see teams tend to use their first round picks on positions that tended to have higher average salaries on average, quarterbacks, tackles, D-linemen, etc. Now that salaries are set, and are considerably lower, you might see more teams drafting for talent regardless of position, and it might equate to more interior lineman getting selected earlier.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
I think it's his flexibility that gets him drafted in the 1st round. All the notes about him there have him working out at different spots on the line. I think he goes because teams think he can be a starting potential All-Pro level guard that they may be able to develop into a really good tackle. His measurables, wing span especially, are great.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I think the new rookie wage scale will benefit players in positions that aren't typically 1st round picks. In the past, because of the giant salaries that first round picks commanded, it was common to see teams tend to use their first round picks on positions that tended to have higher average salaries on average, quarterbacks, tackles, D-linemen, etc. Now that salaries are set, and are considerably lower, you might see more teams drafting for talent regardless of position, and it might equate to more interior lineman getting selected earlier.

Could go both ways. If a team needs two positions filled and will have to fill one with a high draft pick and one with a free agent, they may use the draft pick on the more expensive position. If the draftee will be paid the same regardless of position, you are saving more money drafting players at positions that would cost more had you gone the FA route instead.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Could go both ways. If a team needs two positions filled and will have to fill one with a high draft pick and one with a free agent, they may use the draft pick on the more expensive position. If the draftee will be paid the same regardless of position, you are saving more money drafting players at positions that would cost more had you gone the FA route instead.

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that some teams will still enter the draft with needs at those positions. Free agency doesn't solve all roster issues, and is pretty well done by the time of the draft. For a position like guard, for example, there just aren't enough quality guards available for every team to fill their roster accordingly.