KSU game will show who ends up in the cellar of the Big 12

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
tenor.gif

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
This team has talent, some promising young players and some good experienced ones. No surprise that this team looks like poop early. Prohm's future is going to lie in how this team progresses through the season. It isn't going to the Tournament but we need to see some kind of semblance of cohesiveness and they show some idea of following the game plan by mid season then use that to actually push other upper tiers teams in the B12 towards the end of the season it can provide a launching point and momentum for next season. However if they don't do any of that and the product is this same bad basketball we've seen for 2 of the last 3 years then Prohm gets a no confidence vote and I think the people's opinions that matter (big donors) look for a replacement.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
a bunch of old women could beat k state...Iowa state is a lot better, my god if we are at the same level of futility as k state....I don’t want to think about it

I mean I have no hope, but isu is a lot better than k state

davehon

Apr 4, 2015
You don't seem to care about the Fred'ds guys angle but look at the program without them. 3 terrible years, 1 above average year with a great 3 days in KC.....which one is the exception, which is the rule. Seems obvious to me. Even with two of the most talented rosters ever at ISU, he's still a below .500 big 12 coach. We've had 2 coaches in 10 years, idk how that is repeatedly firing them. You're right about what kind of time he'll get to prove himself but that has nothing to do with faith in him from the AD, it's because of money. The good news is, JP has almost always followed up bad hires with good hires. I guess if having to sit through another season and half of Prohm burying the program leads us to another Fred or CMC, maybe its worth it.
The problem that we are having is years 3/4 should have had Freds Guys. Prohm has had to piece together rosters since his 3rd year because he had zero underclassmen... I think with this class that trend will stop..Foster and DD will be dudes. Hopefully DB stays ( mom was sick while he was in HS) and I am intrigued by Walker...This class's stays together along with Jackson and Hunter and now he is no longer finding 5 new guys every year. I hope they start winning because it sucks seeing what the new coach is gonna do.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
The problem that we are having is years 3/4 should have had Freds Guys. Prohm has had to piece together rosters since his 3rd year because he had zero underclassmen... I think with this class that trend will stop..Foster and DD will be dudes. Hopefully DB stays ( mom was sick while he was in HS) and I am intrigued by Walker...This class's stays together along with Jackson and Hunter and now he is no longer finding 5 new guys every year. I hope they start winning because it sucks seeing what the new coach is gonna do.
Another trend i hope will stop is people blaming a coach who was here for 5 total years and had the best win percentage in school history for the failures of a coach who has been here longer.

How many years did any of Fred's woes get blamed on mcdermott? 1? 2? Were people blaming mcdermott when we got bounced first round to UAB? No, because that would be silly.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
ISU has shown spurts of good basketball. That's the only thing that keeps me excited to see what we can do. If we don't win tomorrow then no more excitement for me.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Another trend i hope will stop is people blaming a coach who was here for 5 total years and had the best win percentage in school history for the failures of a coach who has been here longer.

How many years did any of Fred's woes get blamed on mcdermott? 1? 2? Were people blaming mcdermott when we got bounced first round to UAB? No, because that would be silly.

Zero years we blamed McDermott, we were extremely grateful to have him gone.

The second I watched a Fred coached game made me happy. Those kids played HARD. It was the best .500 year I have ever seen. Plus sitting in the bleachers at home games was the future right in front of our eyes. We knew it would get better. I’m not sure it will with Steve.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Respectfully, I have an issue with this take. how many four year guys have completed careers at ISU over the last 20 years? Not many at all. Prohm had a two year head start to acquire older guys and brace for what he saw on the roster. He does not get a pass for that poor roster management. He was the HC for 24 months by then- that is NOT Fred's fault.

You can flip programs and make the NCAA's in two seasons if you are good at roster management. By your third season- it's your program, no blaming the other guy. This ain't football. College hoops is a transient sport where youth can win and the 1995 way of doing things is mostly gone

Next, your hopes on this freshman class are too high. I will wager you that not more than two of them are here in 24 months.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Iowa States top 7 scorers
6th year Senior
Junior
Rs Junior
Rs Senior
Junior
Freshman
Freshman

Average = 3.28

Kansas State top 7 scorers
Senior
Freshman
Sophomore
Freshman
Junior
Freshman
Redshirt Sophomore

Average = 2.14
We are always 'young' whether we are or not!

Reactions: Halincandenza

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
a bunch of old women could beat k state...Iowa state is a lot better, my god if we are at the same level of futility as k state....I don’t want to think about it

I mean I have no hope, but isu is a lot better than k state
Could come down to who gets outcoached

Reactions: surly

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Yeah, mark me down as another one who doesn't even follow the hoops schedule right now. If not for checking in on this website, I wouldn't ever know if we had a game.

I'm not on the message boards as much as in past years but since when did it become "cool" to act like you don't know/support our basketball team? It seems to me that most ISU fans proudly display that "loyalty" badge through good and bad years, but now some of you are starting to remind me of Iowa basketball fans for the last 15 years or so. Kind of gross.

Reactions: VeloClone

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I am going to guess the game is a lot closer than some expect until about the last ten minutes and then ISU pulls away.
I hope Jackson plays. He will probably won't be fully ready in his first game back but I am interested to see if he has improved.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Will there be fewer Prohm defenders if ISU loses tonight? Oh man losing to this team would be real bad.

• Winner
Reactions: surly

Help Support Us

Become a patron