KSU- "Why does ISU have so many draft picks and such mediocre results?"

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We had quite a few the last two years. That's about it. Those guys that were drafted also won a lot of games, so I don't know what their complaint is.

And they were really successful while at ISU.

If ISU had a bunch of Olineman drafted vs the overall team success it might be different but otherwise the numbers probably align just fine.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Not a totally unfair question. I would also like to know how a team that beat Oregon in a NY6 game and returned nearly every starter ended up like we did in 2021.
Luck. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good and that season sans the opener is a good example of that.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
Not a totally unfair question. I would also like to know how a team that beat Oregon in a NY6 game and returned nearly every starter ended up like we did in 2021.
Ask Baylor ‘22. The schedule flipped from 5 home games to 4 for them, also.

Reactions: isutrevman

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
And they were really successful while at ISU.

If ISU had a bunch of Olineman drafted vs the overall team success it might be different but otherwise the numbers probably align just fine.

Yeah, even with all those guys drafted, ISU hasn't had an OL drafted in what, 10 years? The wins they've had were basically in spite of the OL. You can't win consistently without solid OL play...even if you have some of the best skill players in CFB.

Last edited:

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Luck. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good and that season sans the opener is a good example of that.
Agree. Unless you're way better than most teams you play (we're not) you need to win a ton of close games to have a great season. Some of those will involve luck. For example: Having Texas Tech's kicker make a 63 yard field goal to win the game in 2021 was bad luck. Having Texas' usually great kicker miss a game winning field goal in 2020 was good luck.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agree. Unless you're way better than most teams you play (we're not) you need to win a ton of close games to have a great season. Some of those will involve luck. For example: Having Texas Tech's kicker make a 63 yard field goal to win the game in 2021 was bad luck. Having Texas' usually great kicker miss a game winning field goal in 2020 was good luck.

Having Herman call fake punts and another boneheaded decision or two helped in 2020 as well.

If like 5 plays go different last season ISU is coming off another winning record and there would probably be a bunch of hype around CF.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Are we viewed as having a lot of draft picks? I guess thats news to me. We did win the Fiesta bowl with a lot of the guys that were drafted, but there is no arguing the past two years have been disappointing. I guess I would point this critique more at Iowa than us.