KU @ ISU on CBS

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Great stuff. Based on the times I've watched them I agree that they look far from invincible...probably surprisingly so compared to their expectations. That said, Self has had plenty of teams that weren't world beaters early on but then the calendar turns to February and they hit their stride. We can hate the guy all we want but he's a helluva coach. I think they'll look like the best team in the conference and a FF contender as the season winds down.

If we can find a way to avoid our all too typical 4 points in 8-10 minutes (seemingly end of the first half/start of the 2nd) scoring drought it would go a long ways toward winning this one.
I think they would have been a FF potential team if one of their guards hadn't raped someone. Losing him really hurts them at the guard spot. Just not as athletic there as they've been. I think they will struggle with ISU's pressure.

• Agree
Reactions: ca4cy

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
This is one of those very rare times I can't decide if I'd rather be at the game or just watch it live on tv.
There's essentially zero chance I turn on John and Eric tomorrow unless I need to change up our juju (because of course I have that kind of power) and that is VERY rare for me.

Tomorrow will have a March feel, for multiple reasons.

Mel4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 3, 2016
West Palm, Florida
FWIW, if I were you, I'd drop Sling in a heartbeat and pick up YTTV. However, it is $20 more, I think.
I have my cable through my HOA,i don't have a choice. But I can add on. I went to Xfinity &. got the sports package for $10 more per month. Dropped sling and Disney+, kept my ESPN+. So it all worked out in the end!

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Bringing this back. It is night and day watching games on espn networks vs cbs and fox Saturday games. This felt big, the production was top notch, and is the way it should be. I am so glad espn doesn’t have the tournament, and hope to everything holy, they never get it.

Last edited:

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Bringing this back. It is night and day watching games on eapn networks vs cbs and fox Saturday games. This felt big, the production was top notch, and is the way it should be. I am so glad espn doesn’t have the tournament, and hope to everything holy, they never get it.
Friends and I have been saying the same. Everything about it was better and the announcers are absolute pros.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Also not sure if anyone else noticed but as they were going to commercial after Lipsey hit a three and then stole it for wide open layup they were playing Hometown by Kane Brown (“I just want to make my hometown proud…”).

Obviously were waiting for that one, but gives you an idea how much prep they do. Wright, Eagle, and Raftery has clearly watched the entire Houston game as well. Their recollection of sets we ran earlier in the game as well as in prior games shows you the homework these guys do.

Make ESPN crews look like clown shows.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Old school! I feel like CBS used to carry a lot of our games back in the day before ESPN took over more of the sports programming. I'm old enough to remember Billy Packer calling the very last Big 8 Conference Tournament Championship game against KU back in 1996.

Correct. CBS covered Iowa State quite a bit during the 80’s and spilled over into the early 90’s. After that, like many have mentioned ESPN took over. 70’s & 80’s CBS was really the king of basketball networking both college and professional. And to be honest, as far as quality broadcasting they’ve really never missed a beat.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Bringing this back. It is night and day watching games on espn networks vs cbs and fox Saturday games. This felt big, the production was top notch, and is the way it should be. I am so glad espn doesn’t have the tournament, and hope to everything holy, they never get it.
Hell, CBS Sports Net games, even those with low majors, feel like a big deal with how CBS presents them. Their halftime shows always talk about the game they're showing and they show league highlights regardless of the league the game is from. NEC, Patriot League, SoCon, it doesn't matter. It's just so professional. Then you watch ESPN and there are long stretches where they don't even talk about the game they're doing during the game.

It's night and day.

Reactions: CychiatricWard

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Those talking about Ian Eagle, his son Noah is a really good play by play guy too.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I was happy to see Hilton showcased on a real broadcast by a network that cares about the product it is producing. It looked beautiful. Just add this to the list of ways that ESPN is complete trash and should not have the reach it does.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Hell, CBS Sports Net games, even those with low majors, feel like a big deal with how CBS presents them. Their halftime shows always talk about the game they're showing and they show league highlights regardless of the league the game is from. NEC, Patriot League, SoCon, it doesn't matter. It's just so professional. Then you watch ESPN and there are long stretches where they don't even talk about the game they're doing during the game.

It's night and day.
I think ESPN is contractually bound to talk about SEC football 10% of every collegiate sports broadcast.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I was at the game but recorded the CBS coverage of the game. After KG made the 3 at the end to go up 5 and I believe they were heading to commercial for KU timeout, Jay Wright made the comment "Look at this place. What a place to play" Thought that was fantastic.
I also liked how he said his best coaching decision is never coaching a game against Iowa State in Hilton.