KU Loses to ASU

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We definitely can win this game in Hilton.

Kansas is a good basketball team -- the computers have them in the #10 to #15 range, though that #1 ranking in the polls was a little ridiculous given their near-misses and weak schedule. It is just residue from the preseason hype of their roster composition.

Barttovik actually gives us a 61% chance of victory at home...

upload_2018-12-22_23-15-4.png

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Kansas is a good basketball team -- the computers have them in the #10 to #15 range, though that #1 ranking in the polls was a little ridiculous given their near-misses and weak schedule. It is just residue from the preseason hype of their roster composition.

View attachment 61078
Ku did not have a weak schedule.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

View attachment 61078

Huh? Kansas has played MSU, Marquette, Tenn, ASU and Nova so far.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO

View attachment 61078

I thought I saw they played THE hardest non-con. If not the hardest, certainly in the Top 10.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Ku did not have a weak schedule.

Huh? Kansas has played MSU, Marquette, Tenn, ASU and Nova so far.

I thought I saw they played THE hardest non-con. If not the hardest, certainly in the Top 10.

Fair point. I phrased that badly. Their SOS is definitely solid. I should have expounded into talking about their margins of victory within those games, however.

They have definitely played some good teams.

Their problem is they just squeaked by...

(+5) Michigan State
(+6) Tennessee, but in overtime
(+6) Stanford, but in overtime
(+3) New Mexico State
(+3) Villanova

History says that winning close games is mostly a 50-50 luck proposition in the long-term. They could not keep winning games by one or two possessions like that.

If they had lost to Stanford and Tennessee -- which they could have in regulation if one free throw had gone differently -- we would regard them very differently.

Eventually it would catch up with them, and tonight it did.

I stand by us having a good chance or even being favored in Hilton in a few weeks, though.

They are definitely a very good team. They have the talent to be one of the few best in the nation. But I put them more in the teens right now from what they have done and the computers think, which is really not far off our Cyclones' performance.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
We definitely can win this game in Hilton.
Kansas is good, as always. They have played a tough schedule. I have watched several of their games, and I have neVer felt they looked like the best team in the country. If they are, it is a down year. When they get their big center back they will be better. However, I agree, we can beat them. I agree with other posters, given how our season has developed, I do not like playing them so early. Clones 88, beakers 84.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I wish we didn't play KU so early. Second game of the conference season. It will be only the third game of the season for the team as a complete team. Maybe 2 or 3 more weeks into the season, I'd be more confident about it.

Yeah, would have preferred to play them with Wigg/Solo having a few more games under their belts. But, this year's team seems to be further along in terms of chemistry at this point in the season than in the past, perhaps further along than Kansas. Just can't afford to lose at home if we're going to compete for the conference championship.

Still, I have a good feeling about this game, despite the students not being around. Great turnout for E. Illinois on Friday so I think Hilton will be rocking.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I wish we didn't play KU so early. Second game of the conference season. It will be only the third game of the season for the team as a complete team. Maybe 2 or 3 more weeks into the season, I'd be more confident about it.

I actually like getting KU early. They are just a 2 man team right now with Vick and Lawson that can be counted on game to game. Duke being out and their talented freshmen are still adjusting to the uptick in competition they may be as vulnerable as they will be all year. Self will get those weaknesses up to Big 12 level soon enough but not likely in the next couple of games. Losing to ASU actually makes the game at hilton more difficult IMO, Self will use it to focus them.

It would be nice to have had the full roster for ISU playing more in the non-con but ISU will be close to full strength after getting 2 weeks of practice together. Hard to draw to many conclusions off the EIU game but the players seemed quite comfortable with the full team.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
I just can't cheer for the Adidas Academy at Lawrence (AAL) any more. Generally, I cheer for the Big XII teams as a strong league helps ISU when they do well in league play.

However, after the arrogance of their fans regarding the pending NCAA investigation, I just can't. I hope they burn. Any fanbase that claims it is OK that Adidas gets them recruits, but won't concede that any other Big XII team should get the same benefit can burn.

I hope they lose every game and get embarrassed each and every night. I hope they get called for every travel they commit (the officials even missed one last night) and hope Self gets T'd up every time his red-faced tirade at the officials shows up. I hope the tide turns against them and officials stop giving them the benefit of missed calls and wrong calls ala Duke.

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
1. Let me be clear: I will hold my hatred of Kansas up against anybody's.
However:
2. They got absolutely jobbed in Tempe last night.
However:
3. Screw them anyway, because they're usually on the beneficial end of screw jobs.
However:
4. I HATE it when officials let the home crowd do the "officiating" in competitive sports.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
It was a pretty good win to begin with.
Drake won the Vegas Tourney in double OT. I think they are 10-2. Time will tell, but I think they hired the right guy for them. Dramatic one year turn around - it appears at this point. Decent win for us.

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy