KU not a threat from deep

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I was looking at some Big 12 statistics thus far & was shocked to find, among other things that KU is statistically a worse 3 pt shooting team thus far than TCU. I see us packing it in the lane, throwing some zones at them & going under screens virtually every ball screen against them.

Seems there best possibility of beating us is to turn us over & get some easy buckets in transition. Anybody see them beat Duke? How did they do that with such a poor shooting team?

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
I was looking at some Big 12 statistics thus far & was shocked to find, among other things that KU is statistically a worse 3 pt shooting team thus far than TCU. I see us packing it in the lane, throwing some zones at them & going under screens virtually every ball screen against them.

Seems there best possibility of beating us is to turn us over & get some easy buckets in transition. Anybody see them beat Duke? How did they do that with such a poor shooting team?

Duke wasn't exactly playing great basketball when they played each other. Duke's defense was pretty poor.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm sure they'll find a way to bank in a three or two when they need it most.

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
Yea, I've seen them a few times this year and they are a terrible outside shooting team. But they were last year also. Elijah Johnson couldn't hit the broad side of a barn all yaer and then went off for 50 on us. Ok close to 50.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames

Interesting statistic. Good find.

I agree that we will sag a little, but probably not truly pack it in. I also agree that we'll likely go under screens when we can't switch (like the point guard with Embid setting the pick), however, I think one of the hallmarks of Fred's defense so far is switching on screens. ISU switches everything and it is a good strategy since we typically have four guys at any one time who are flexible on defense and able to guard several positions.

You're probably right about zones though. We might try a few, but Hoiberg seems to run man about 95% of the time so I imagine we'll only see zone for brief periods. Plus, it's easier to rebound out of Man, so I don't know how much zone we'll truly run.

Interesting points though!

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Yeah, they don't have a single reliable 3 point shooter other than Frankamp, but I'm not sure how much he even plays.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

Wasn't that our initial game plan vs. UNI? We packed the lane and they hit the shots. Just seems like any team on a given night is capable of explointing that successfully or settling for it and paying for it. UNI made us pay for it early. We had to go to more pressure to speed up the shooters.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I've been keeping my eye on this issue. KU has three really good shooters on the roster, but they're something like the 9th, 10th, and 11th best players on the team. I don't think Self trusts any of them to play big minutes because of defensive concerns. And I'm not sure anyone in the top eight is an above average shooter. I think I would at least try to play some zone, which seems to be working well with these new rules anyway, to try to hide the shooters' defensive deficiencies. Self seems to hate playing zone, though.

But, more importantly, I don't really think a neutral-site loss in November to a top 10-ish team and a road loss in December to a tournament team is bad enough to really start to worry about anything, especially with one of the youngest teams in the country. It's going to take time, and a few losses, to get to an elite level.

Last edited:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
They'll be just fine by the time ISU plays them. Young teams like that can struggle early on. But they have a crapload of talent.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
OP, you better hope they have ****** days from long range when they play us, or this thread will be bumped to the top. Nice jinx.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
It is almost like the factor of fraud in elections now. For us to beat KU by 1, we really need to beat them by about 15 or else the referees will call phantom fouls and give privilege to KU. We along with our Big 12 bretheren MUST keep this on the media's radar. The Big 12 referees have no shame and for whatever reason thier collective conscious is captive to the Jayhawk myth that they should always win and close calls must go in their favor in close games. There is really nothing else like it in college sports. I would actually welcome a new conference alignment without KU in it just to escape their and the Big12 referees/RoyBoy/Self golfing buddies. Hate KU.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Admittedly, I didn't see the entire KU/Colorado game. But, what was wrong with Self? He didn't get his typical technical to rant and rave when things weren't going their way.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012

Tread lightly. I thought the same thing about Elijah Johnson last year.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Interesting statistic. Good find.

I agree that we will sag a little, but probably not truly pack it in. I also agree that we'll likely go under screens when we can't switch (like the point guard with Embid setting the pick), however, I think one of the hallmarks of Fred's defense so far is switching on screens. ISU switches everything and it is a good strategy since we typically have four guys at any one time who are flexible on defense and able to guard several positions.

You're probably right about zones though. We might try a few, but Hoiberg seems to run man about 95% of the time so I imagine we'll only see zone for brief periods. Plus, it's easier to rebound out of Man, so I don't know how much zone we'll truly run.

Interesting points though!
CU rarely plays zone, but they played zone a lot against KU and it was very effective. I would force them to shoot the three. They didn't look comfortable shooting from the perimeter.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Admittedly, I didn't see the entire KU/Colorado game. But, what was wrong with Self? He didn't get his typical technical to rant and rave when things weren't going their way.

That only works on Big 12 refs

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
I will never get over this. That play was the very definition of being an Iowa State fan.

I've actually used that play as an example of what it's like to be an Iowa State fan. It's why I'm not surprised at atrocities like last year's KU game or this year's football game against Texas.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
They'll be just fine by the time ISU plays them. Young teams like that can struggle early on. But they have a crapload of talent.

This is kind of where I'm at. I know they are very talented, but it doesn't seem like a very good mixture of talent. Hopefully for our sake there shooters don't become a big part of there rotation.