KU Police investigating report of teenage girl raped at KU’s McCarthy Hall

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
What bothers me is this "16-year-old girl, who was not a KU student, was visiting residents in the building."
A 16 year old comes to visit and you don't watch out for her?

I think "visit" in this context means people taking advantage of a vulnerable minor. There is no good reason for a minor women to be in a dorm at all unless her older sister lives there and she really is "visiting" which I seriously doubt was what happened since they are threading this together with other stories citing she might be a runaway.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Is it possible that they were just neighbors who didn't know what was going on? Or that they were known to have returned late that night from the game, so they want to know what they "witnessed?"

I want to bash KU basketball as much as the next person, but just because some players are being called "witnesses" does not necessarily mean that they even knew that they knew anything about the crimes until being questioned.

That is all possible. However, it sounds like a party at the basketball apartments.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I think "visit" in this context means people taking advantage of a vulnerable minor. There is no good reason for a minor women to be in a dorm at all unless her older sister lives there and she really is "visiting" which I seriously doubt was what happened since they are threading this together with other stories citing she might be a runaway.

Yea, no sister lives there. Sounds like only men. And if you believe the KU boards, the basketball team and "a bunch of Asians" are the men. I believe the place is pretty high priced for those not on an athletic scholarship.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Two notes:

1. The incident happened on Dec 18th, but is not made public until Jan 24th. I wonder why the information got released now?

2. The report is made public on the morning after KU's loss to WV. Could knowing it was coming have affected their performance at WV?
It said in the article that the incident was posted publically a few weeks after the incident, which means late Dcember. Apparently no one in the media noticed the public notification until this week.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
That is all possible. However, it sounds like a party at the basketball apartments.

Yes, but if any of the players were as closely involved as being at a party where this took place, I think you would have seen much more attention being given to it, such as at Minnesota with the football team and recruit.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
What bothers me is this "16-year-old girl, who was not a KU student, was visiting residents in the building."
A 16 year old comes to visit and you don't watch out for her?

I am in NO way condoning this, but I know a 16 year old girl who hooked up with a couple ISU athletes (I won't name names but you wouldn't believe me). And I know this because the girl was friends with my stepdaughter.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It said in the article that the incident was posted publically a few weeks after the incident, which means late Dcember. Apparently no one in the media noticed the public notification until this week.

No one in the media noticed it? ISU can't have a player jaywalk without it being all over the news 5 minutes later.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Any rumors on your side if players were involved?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Yes, but if any of the players were as closely involved as being at a party where this took place, I think you would have seen much more attention being given to it, such as at Minnesota with the football team and recruit.

According to the article, the only witnesses besides the girl are five KU basketball players, although they interviewed the two 19 year old women.

• Informative
Reactions: surly and Cycsk

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I am in NO way condoning this, but I know a 16 year old girl who hooked up with a couple ISU athletes (I won't name names but you wouldn't believe me). And I know this because the girl was friends with my stepdaughter.

That wouldn't surprise me in the least. People can get all up in arms about the age thing, but it's really the equivalent of a high school senior dating a freshman or sophomore and then advancing the time-line a year. It sounds horrible when one hears "16-year old girl" on it's own, but when many of us were 16-19 years old, we weren't considering the age thing to be an issue. (that paragraph had nothing to do with my opinion of the rape, btw)

As far as the rape accusations go, I just hope the guilty parties are punished to the fullest extent. I don't really care if it involves KU players or not. Rape is disgusting. I hope the girl is doing ok and can recover from any physical and emotional damages that she incurred.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
I remember talking to a girl who started chatting me up at a party in friley who told me she was a junior. When I pressed for info and found out she was a junior at Ames high, I promptly got up and let all my friends know to leave the jailbait alone and asked the girls she showed up with to remove her. This should have never happened.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I could be wrong, but the way they stated that 5 KU basketball players were witnesses makes me feel that, that is good for the mens basketball team. Now, I could be wrong and it could be them witnessing another teammate do it. But if 5 players are knowingly willing to testify(who knows if it even gets that far) as a witness, it would leave me to believe that means it is not a basketball player who committed this act. But that is just how I read it.

Although: "Crimes reported to KU police typically are posted publicly, to the department’s online daily crime log, within a few days. The alleged rape at McCarthy Hall was not posted until a few weeks after it was reported." This makes me think there's more to what we will be told.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 3GenClone

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I could be wrong, but the way they stated that 5 KU basketball players were witnesses makes me feel that, that is good for the mens basketball team. Now, I could be wrong and it could be them witnessing another teammate do it. But if 5 players are knowingly willing to testify(who knows if it even gets that far) as a witness, it would leave me to believe that means it is not a basketball player who committed this act. But that is just how I read it.

Although: "Crimes reported to KU police typically are posted publicly, to the department’s online daily crime log, within a few days. The alleged rape at McCarthy Hall was not posted until a few weeks after it was reported." This makes me think there's more to what we will be told.

I don't think being listed as a witness in a police report necessarily means you are willing to testify or are corroborating what the victim said.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Even if the basketball players weren't directly involved, if this happened at a party that the basketball players threw, it could look bad for the team.

There's also a chance that the perpetrator is part of the entourage of one of the players. Star athletes, particularly high profile basketball players like at KU always have hangers on that they are usually not seen without and always attend their parties. If one of these guys raped a runaway 16 year old, the program will get unwanted attention.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I don't think being listed as a witness in a police report necessarily means you are willing to testify or are corroborating what the victim said.
That is fair, and I was taking it a step further than I should've. But did they come forward as witnesses or were they labeled by someone who saw them there? Idk. Obviously it does not look good, but I think if this were ISU basketball in this situation, we would be looking at it with different colored glasses. Don't want to jump to conclusions.

• Winner
Reactions: surly

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Even if the basketball players weren't directly involved, if this happened at a party that the basketball players threw, it could look bad for the team.

There's also a chance that the perpetrator is part of the entourage of one of the players. Star athletes, particularly high profile basketball players like at KU always have hangers on that they are usually not seen without and always attend their parties. If one of these guys raped a runaway 16 year old, the program will get unwanted attention.
I think you are spot on with this. Completely agree.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

I think entourage is about the only way the suspect isn't a player. This is after finals before Christmas, not sure tons of other people hanging around except foreign students and athletes. As far as being listed as witnesses, that could be based on the victim's statement, I'm not sure there is any indication of cooperation.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I think entourage is about the only way the suspect isn't a player. This is after finals before Christmas, not sure tons of other people hanging around except foreign students and athletes. As far as being listed as witnesses, that could be based on the victim's statement, I'm not sure there is any indication of cooperation.
Was it stated if the victim knew the alleged rapist?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
That is fair, and I was taking it a step further than I should've. But did they come forward as witnesses or were they labeled by someone who saw them there? Idk. Obviously it does not look good, but I think if this were ISU basketball in this situation, we would be looking at it with different colored glasses. Don't want to jump to conclusions.

I'm not sure exactly how ISU fans would react in a similar situation. Every fanbase has jack holes who put the sport above the victim.

But we had people ready to tar and feather BDJ over noise complaints. And the Bubu Palo case was very polarizing.

If there were any real evidence linking members of the ISU basketball team to sexual assault, I think there would be enough support to cut them loose and face the consequences as a program.