KU reportedly hiring Buffalo's Leipold (not Monken)

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Just glad to see some new bodies coming in. KU still doesn't have a viable QB so they are still going to be pretty terrible but this at least may help them look a little more like a D1 team.
They're ku so they're going to be terrible.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
What happened to "players should be able to transfer to play for whoever they want at wherever they want"?

I don't disagree with that, might even have said it. Thats why I phrased it as a question.

I suppose it depends on the initiator - "that's what the kids wanted" vs "the coach pillaged his former employer". Just depends on the situation, which we can't know.

Just like the claims of tampering now happening in FB and BB both. If a kid wants to go somewhere else and initiates, that's fine. If a coach reaches out directly or indirectly then that's tampering.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Is it a little crappy to leave your employer and then poach a bunch of players too? It's probably good for the players to get more exposure, and probably they love their coach or they wouldn't have gone to Buffalo. But idk, it does seem kind of kicking Buffalo on the way out the door.
Not too much different than Campbell bringing pretty much the entire Toledo coaching staff with him. Also Willoughby followed Floyd from UNO.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Not too much different than Campbell bringing pretty much the entire Toledo coaching staff with him. Also Willoughby followed Floyd from UNO.
I think I’ve said this on here before someplace but I thoroughly believe that Willoughby is one of the (if not THEE) most underrated ISU bball players of all time.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I don't disagree with that, might even have said it. Thats why I phrased it as a question.

I suppose it depends on the initiator - "that's what the kids wanted" vs "the coach pillaged his former employer". Just depends on the situation, which we can't know.

Just like the claims of tampering now happening in FB and BB both. If a kid wants to go somewhere else and initiates, that's fine. If a coach reaches out directly or indirectly then that's tampering.
I don't really believe many athletes go to the school of choice for the academics. It is a noble notion but one I don't believe is reality. If the kid loves the coach and the coach bounces it is not unreasonable to expect the kid to transfer also.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Don't most assistant coaches live/die by the fortunes of their boss (the head coach)? When a coach leaves a school and a new coach comes in, seems like they usually clean house of the previous staff to a large extent. I think I look at taking your staff with you a little differently than taking your team with you. One or two does not surprise me. But good grief, that looked like about 25% of the roster. It will be interesting to see how it pans out for them.

Reactions: ISUguy

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
And I'd say living in Lawrence is a considerable upgrade over snowy Buffalo. Still, it seems odd with all the portal guys available that HCLL would take a bunch of MAC guys to bolster his roster. I presume he believes they can compete in the B12 and upgrade his locker room as well.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
And I'd say living in Lawrence is a considerable upgrade over snowy Buffalo. Still, it seems odd with all the portal guys available that HCLL would take a bunch of MAC guys to bolster his roster. I presume he believes they can compete in the B12 and upgrade his locker room as well.
I’m assuming the idea is to bring in players Leipold knows will help to build the kind of culture he wants in Lawrence. What these guys do on the field isn’t necessarily as important as why they do off. Besides, it’s not like KU has a Big XII caliber roster as it stands.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I’m assuming the idea is to bring in players Leipold knows will help to build the kind of culture he wants in Lawrence. What these guys do on the field isn’t necessarily as important as why they do off. Besides, it’s not like KU has a Big XII caliber roster as it stands.
'Culture', yes. But I'd also argue, bringing in people who already know your 'system' will help current players transition more quickly. Just an opinion.

Reactions: Dirt Boy 2

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
'Culture', yes. But I'd also argue, bringing in people who already know your 'system' will help current players transition more quickly. Just an opinion.
Especially with the shortened timeframe he is working with this year.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
A gaping hole suddenly emerged in the Kansas football secondary on Sunday, as starting cornerback Karon Prunty announced he is leaving the program and entering the transfer portal.

Prunty turned into a breakout performer as a true freshman in 2020, when he was one of just three players on the roster to start every game.

KU players to leave since Lance Leipold took over

• Karon Prunty, sophomore CB

• Marcus Harris, sophomore DE (Auburn)

• Da’Jon Terry, sophomore DT (Tennessee)

• Valerian Agbaw Jr., sophomore CB (Charlotte)

Lawrence J-W

Last edited:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
While I think he'll have much more sustained success, there is a bit of similarity to the fast start Mangina got off to.

Through 31 games:

Mark Mangino: 11-20
Lance Leipold: 13-18

• Haha
Reactions: Halincandenza

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
While I think he'll have much more sustained success, there is a bit of similarity to the fast start Magina got off to.

Through 31 games:

Mark Mangino: 11-20
Lance Leipold: 13-18
He's gonna have a lot of suitors.
He'd be perfect at a schools like Michigan St.