Kunc expected to use COVID year, return for second season in Ames

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Good deal! Hopefully we can land that big man from Wright State and secure a backup tall man so that Kunc can step out and shoot outside a little more. Dude has a solid stroke, but with a weak frontcourt he wasn’t able to venture out as much.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
He was a 39% 3 point shooter this year. If we get the Wright State guy and they're on the floor at the same time, that should offer some good spacing and allow our guards to drive to the hoop easier.

Reactions: CnG

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Why does the wording on his return say "expected" to return, versus "will" return? Guess I just thought it wasn't usually worded like that.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Kunc is one of those patented "love him if he's on your team, hate him if he's on the other" guys and since he's on our team, I love him. Looking forward to seeing him again next year

Reactions: CnG and isutrevman

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015

CyDawg23

Nov 13, 2017
Great to have him back!
Question - not meant to be dig at him. How do you shoot 39% from 3 and then 42% overall. Don't think you see stats like that very often.
Just looked up Niang’s numbers this season. 39.6% from three. 43.1% total field goals. I know NBA vs college is a stretch, but there’s a percentage base comparison.

Brett44

Nov 26, 2014
He’s a great guy to have who will flash to the ball and he good with the ball against pressure and traps.

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
Not sure of the reason, but Jaz went from really struggling to rebound to becoming arguably our best guy on the glass late in the year. Really stepped up defensively as well. He always brought the energy, but he really put it together starting about when ISU had the late 4 game W streak.
This is great news.
Probably because he changed from immediately trying to tip the ball to someone to going up with two hands to come down with it

Raywswartz

KC Chief
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2006
If you don’t get easy layups the shooting percentage difference between 3s and 2s isn’t as large as you’d think. Also a bunch of Jaz’s 3s were awesome looks where he was pretty open and that’s a higher % shot than a tough 2.

Hoiball stuff, man.
Key there is finishing the easy layups. That along with having the talent to get good 2 looks. We struggled as a team to finish around rim. Kunz just never got those looks close.

exCYtement

Feb 28, 2011
Ames
4 open schollies?

Is Tristan confirmed as heading out, or is that just a technicality due to Gabe being a senior who hasn’t publicly said he’s returning?
This keeps throwing me off too, but I keep forgetting that Javan Johnson, Blake Hinson, and Xavier Foster left so late last year TJ never used those three scholarships this year.

So they have 4 out: Brockington, Conditt, Jackson, Walker
Then they have 4 in: Lispey, Watson, Tre King, Eli King

Even if Gabe comes back, there are still those three scholarships left over from last summer to be used for transfers.

Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The Cyclones have 3 open scholarships, to clarify with returnees/recruits by position:

• PG (2)
    • Hunter
    • Lipsey
  • Wing (4)
    • Grill
    • Kalscheur
    • Eli King
    • Demarion Watson
  • Post (4)
    • Tre King
    • Kunc
    • Jones
    • Enaruna

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Trudie

Mar 26, 2022
Jaz is a high-energy guy who makes a difference every time he steps on the court, even if it doesn’t show up on the stats sheet. His rebound numbers improved as the season went on and I loved the way he’d rip down a rebound, then protect the ball with his body. His leadership and ability to set the tone next year will be available. He’s tough!

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

CyBri

Mar 2, 2012
I do feel like at the end of the season he was putting the ball on the floor from the high post. Hopefully that's another tool he can improve and have in his arsenal next season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron