Kunc in Big 12 Play

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Iowa State is 7-5 without Kunc in the lineup in the Big 12 and 1-4 since he has played. Is Kunc a good player? Not bad. But I think the momentum of the of the team was going good and then it as changed since putting Kunc back in the lineup. Any thoughts?
I think Grill being hurt trumps that theory. Just my two cents.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I agree with the points made about Grill's injury (I think that is most of the reason for our slide), and I would add that it is reasonable to expect that Jaz would take some time to get back into the swing of things, and for our team chemistry to adjust too.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I do feel like Kunc slows down our offense at times. Whne we have both Kunc and Lipsey on the floor at the same time we become pretty damn easy to defend.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I think there are some things to consider regarding style of play without Jaz and now essentially without Grill. Although without Jaz we might well have lost that game against TCU.

BeastCY

Mar 18, 2016
Iowa
www.ToDoCentralIowa.com
I agree with the points made about Grill's injury (I think that is most of the reason for our slide), and I would add that it is reasonable to expect that Jaz would take some time to get back into the swing of things, and for our team chemistry to adjust too.
True. I think I am just trying to come up with some excuse in my mind why we have gotten so bad?! Hopefully we pull it together just in time for Tournament play and forget all about this.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Iowa State is 7-5 without Kunc in the lineup in the Big 12 and 1-4 since he has played. Is Kunc a good player? Not bad. But I think the momentum of the of the team was going good and then it as changed since putting Kunc back in the lineup. Any thoughts?
He beat Kansas at home. He was on fire. If I remember right

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
True. I think I am just trying to come up with some excuse in my mind why we have gotten so bad?! Hopefully we pull it together just in time for Tournament play and forget all about this.
My list would be Grill being hurt, Jaz getting back up to speed, the team adjusting chemistry again with Jaz back but Grill mostly out, and general physical exhaustion. You can skate through some of these lulls in an average conference, but this year's Big 12 is just a bear.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I think Kunc is kind of a glue guy. He's out there rebounding, defending, taking charges etc but he's not really a guy who is going to win games for you other than when he's really hot from the 3. But, he's really streaky in his shooting. Last night when he got elbowed in the face and then proceeded to miss both FT's then WV made both FT's and followed up with a 3 ptr. A 5-0 play for them. That was killer for us. I'm glad to have him on the team but I think we got to understand his limitations.

Reactions: mjhavlo76

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
My list would be Grill being hurt, Jaz getting back up to speed, the team adjusting chemistry again with Jaz back but Grill mostly out, and general physical exhaustion. You can skate through some of these lulls in an average conference, but this year's Big 12 is just a bear.
I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion, but despite how 'bad' WVU and OSU they are matchup disasters for us and those losses are right in this slide. 0-4 against them but 4-2 against KU, KSU, and TCU? It's crazy.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

I don't think there is 1 thing or player we can point to why we are playing so bad lately other than our offense has been terrible. Just like last season it seems when we start playing teams the 2nd time they have made adjustments to how we like to play and we apparently have not made adjustments to counter that. I would assume that we have enough talent to win a game or 2 in the NCAA tournament because we likely will play teams that have not faced us before and will struggle to score against our defense but we just don't have the consistent offense to string together wins right now.

Right now if Gabe and Holmes aren't hitting shots along with a 3rd scorer like Grill or Shoon in the paint we struggle to put up 70, heck even 60 some games lately. Lipsey is no threat to hit 3's or long jumpers right now and if I were a team defending him I would make him beat you on the perimeter and keep him out of the paint where he can drive or dish. Our post offense has not been effective lately either. When we were on our hot stretch this year we were getting good shots in the paint, not so much lately it feels like.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I think Kunc is kind of a glue guy. He's out there rebounding, defending, taking charges etc but he's not really a guy who is going to win games for you other than when he's really hot from the 3. But, he's really streaky in his shooting. Last night when he got elbowed in the face and then proceeded to miss both FT's then WV made both FT's and followed up with a 3 ptr. A 5-0 play for them. That was killer for us. I'm glad to have him on the team but I think we got to understand his limitations.

Not a bad defender, decent rebounder, can nail a set-up 3 sometimes but other than that. Average. Was one of our better free-throw shooters until the whole team shot down the toilet…

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
He's a good rebounder and has the best offensive rating on the team. Mostly because he can handle and pass well for a guy his size, doesn't turn it over much, and is usually a reliable shooter when open.

The problem is since returning, outside of the TCU game, he is shooting 20% from three. Most of the looks he takes are wide open so that is not good. He shot 39% from three last year on almost 100 attempts so is clearly capable but we are also running out of season.

He was shooting 79% from the line until missing those two last key ones last night. Added insult to injury with the shooting slump.

Reactions: Cyclonepride