Ku's Cliff ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
"The NCAA has alerted us to an issue that could affect Cliff's eligibility," Kansas athletic director Sheahon Zenger said in a statement. "As a precautionary measure Cliff will not take the court until we have resolved the issue."

Zenger said Kansas would have no further comment until the issue is resolved.

“I haven’t heard anything other than the fact that it involves Cliff, not a KU situation, but a Cliff situation,†Self said. “So the NCAA, obviously they’ve got to get to the bottom of it and figure out what’s going on. We understand that. Hopefully, it’s done in a timely manner so that we’re not left in limbo and the kid’s not left in limbo.â€

“When the NCAA is trying to find out whether kids are eligible in late August before the football season starts, they give it priority. And here’s a situation that is happening in the most crucial time of our basketball season,†Self said. “I’ve got to believe it’s going to be given priority. Even if it’s given priority, that doesn’t necessarily mean everything happens fast, because I’m sure there’s things they have to do to be comfortable. I don’t know how long it’s going to take, but I certainly hope it’s sooner rather than longer.â€
SI.com reported Saturday that Alexander’s family hired a Washington, D.C.-based lawyer to help with the issue, and Self was in favor of the family’s decision.
“I would think that’d be the smart thing to do without question,†Self said. “That’s not an admittance of anything. I think you should always be represented when you have any type of legal issue.â€
When asked if Alexander’s participation could affect previous KU results this season - in terms of KU having to potentially vacate wins - Self said he thought that was unlikely, repeating that the matter involved Alexander but did not involve KU.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Cliff is a player out of Chicago, right?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
If this was ISU they would declare the entire athletic dept ineligible. KU will get their stars back in time for the big12 tourney.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I would hope that KU went above and beyond when doing its diligence on a highly-recruited Chicago kid. If they missed something they could have or should have caught, they deserve whatever punishment comes.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
"Self said he thought that was unlikely, repeating that the matter involved Alexander but did not involve KU."

Ummmm... Has Alexander played for Kansas this year? If the answer is anything other than "No" it involves Kansas Bill.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I would hope that KU went above and beyond when doing its diligence on a highly-recruited Chicago kid. If they missed something they could have or should have caught, they deserve whatever punishment comes.

Apparently you haven't been paying attention. ku usually gets the championships first, then goes on NCAA probation.

Kansas1956-571--
Kansas1960-61 – 61-6221961-622
Kansas1972-73119731
Kansas1988-89 – 90-91319891
Kansas2006-07 – 08-093--

https://sportsdelve.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/ncaa-probation-and-division-i-college-basketball/

PullnPray

Feb 26, 2013
If this was ISU they would declare the entire athletic dept ineligible. KU will get their stars back in time for the big12 tourney.

Damn, if only the NCAA had gotten the memo that KU is to receive preferential treatment back in 2012. Instead, when we played Kentucky in the National Championship game, we had two walk-ons in our 8 man rotation since Ben McLemore and Jamari Traylor were ineligible that year.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Question is, if he is ruled ineligible do they then forfeit every game he participated in?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
"Self said he thought that was unlikely, repeating that the matter involved Alexander but did not involve KU."

Ummmm... Has Alexander played for Kansas this year? If the answer is anything other than "No" it involves Kansas Bill.

Self is an expert at spin control when dealing his 'recruits.'

images

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
It would seem that Kansas took action once they were aware of the situation. I think that shields them from punishment unless it it revealed that they knew of it before the NCAA notified them.

Based on the rumors of agents, I doubt he's back this season and it'll probably drive him to go pro if it isn't settled before the deadline to declare of the NBA.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Outside of a couple performances, he's been a huge disappointment. Wouldn't be surprised if Self and KU 'encourage' Cliff to take a shot at the NBA.