KXNO Podcasts

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
I am a podcast addict and I love all three local shows on KXNO. I subscrbe to all three and haven't missed a minute for years. But sometime a while back, for some reason, a KXNO podcast subscription started delivering redundant content. I am guessing it happened around the time Andrew Downs became the boss, but that may have nothing to do with it.

Anyway, all my podcast are downloaded automatically and when I hit listen it plays one right after another. But for some reason they have decided to not only post each hour of each show in one hour segments, but they also take some of the special interviews and break them out and those are also delivered with the subscription. It drives me crazy when I'm driving and start to hear repeated content and have to fumble around to stop that from playing and delete it or mark it as played.

If KXNO wants to put just those special parts up on their website, that's great. But please keep them out of my subscription. They are irritating a loyal listener and are turning a big fan of these shows into a dissatisfied customer.

I have communicated with Andrew Downs on this and was hoping to see a change happen. But the repeat content keeps coming pretty much each day. Many days there are multiple parts that are repeated.

I love they way they handle the Cyclone Insider and Hawkeye Insider podcasts as separate subscriptions. That way I can get the Cyclone podcast, and not the Hawkeye podcast.

I am currently subscribing to 23 different podcasts and KXNO is the only one that abuses the customer with redundant content. (Before someone asks how I have time to listen to 23 podcast - only the KXNO podcasts are daily - most are weekly or less.)

I hope Chris reads this and can influence Andrew Downs (or whoever is responsible) to fix this. Chris does a great job with the podcasts from this site.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: jaj040 and Dopey

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
https://kxno.iheart.com/contact/

You'll want to navigate to the section that reads: "Prize Pickup Instructions & Directions"
I have already contacted the station and ended up communicating with Andrew Downs. That was a number of weeks ago now and nothing has changed. So the next thing I did was to give all three shows a bad podcast rating and explained why. I figure they need good ratings to help their podcasts climb up in the pecking order. So I tried to inflict some pain to generate action.

Did I mention before I think some of this double posting of content is a way they use to inflate their downloads? They won't admit to that of course. So I turned to posting it on here in the hopes Chris would read it and try influence whoever is doing this. I expected some smart a$$ responses from those that don't listen to or subscribe to podcasts. But it was all I could do to continue to escalate this issue.

I suppose the next step if nothing happens is just to quit subscribing, which means quit listening for a guy that lives in Cedar Rapids. When the frustration level is such that it exceeds the enjoyment I get from listening to these shows, it's the natural thing to do. I've got 20 other podcasts to occupy my time and they won't abuse their subscribers

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Just use the iHeartRadio app and pull down the podcasts as you want to listen to them. That's what I do. It's obvious which ones are "double posted content," as you call it, and which ones are the full hourly segments.

And btw, shame on you for supporting the KXNO Morning Rush show. The worst "sports" show I've ever heard on local radio.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Damn man you listen to that much Des Moines sports radio? Even in major markets there is a lot of time to fill. Do you drive for a living?

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Just use the iHeartRadio app and pull down the podcasts as you want to listen to them. That's what I do. It's obvious which ones are "double posted content," as you call it, and which ones are the full hourly segments.

And btw, shame on you for supporting the KXNO Morning Rush show. The worst "sports" show I've ever heard on local radio.
iHeart doesn't have all the other Podcasts I listen to. Nor all the features. Its not an option. I used to use the Overcast app on my iPhone, but I recently switched to a Galaxy S9+ Android phone and am using Pocket Casts as my player. Both of those players have features that eliminate silent periods to speed up play. They also both had good resolution on speed control. Some podcast I play in real time. Some I play at faster than real time.

I like the Morning Rush. Travis can piss me off because he has a bias against Iowa State that is part of his DNA. I do like to listen to him though partly because he grew up in Minden, which is real close to where I grew up in Oakland. Living in Cedar Rapids, I like when he talks about Omaha and southwest Iowa because it brings back memories from years gone by. I like Heather also, except when she gets too condescending toward Sean.

Murph and Andy is my least favorite of the three shows, but that isn't a big knock on it. I like it, but don't have much interest in some of the regular features they have. The movie thing does nothing for me. I'd rather have more talk about what to watch on Netflix than what movie to go see. My GF loves the birthday guessing game.

I really like Sports Fanatics. Chris is a natural, but I've really come to like Ross a lot.

Reactions: khardbored

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I actually like the broken out sections. I won't ever download the Murph and Andy podcast, but I'll usually download the smaller podcast. But I also manually download through my podcatcher, since I can't listen to every minute of every podcast I subscribe to.

Sorry, guys like me are probably making it worse!

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I actually like the broken out sections. I won't ever download the Murph and Andy podcast, but I'll usually download the smaller podcast. But I also manually download through my podcatcher, since I can't listen to every minute of every podcast I subscribe to.

That's me as well. I am subscribed to a bunch, but then pick and choose what I want to actually download.

I don't think it makes sense for KXNO to split them into different podcasts to satisfy the OPs need, I think it would hurt a lot more people than it helps. KXNO can't help it if you have it setup to autodownload everything that the broken out pieces are included.

• Disagree
Reactions: Psyclone

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006

If you manually download podcasts then this discussion doesn't really apply to you. I automate my downloads and playback, and I don't like to be forced to intervene. If I wasn't a power podcast listener, I probably wouldn't care how it was split up or delivered. I subscribe and shouldn't have to pick and choose each episode to download, or worse to deal with it when you are driving and you discover you've heard this podcast already.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
That's me as well. I am subscribed to a bunch, but then pick and choose what I want to actually download.

I don't think it makes sense for KXNO to split them into different podcasts to satisfy the OPs need, I think it would hurt a lot more people than it helps. KXNO can't help it if you have it setup to autodownload everything that the broken out pieces are included.
I fail to understand how splitting out the repeated content into a different KXNO subscription would hurt anyone. If you pick and choose what you listen to you can do that with a subscription to full content and a subscription to special content.

I have seen no other podcast that repeats content under a single subscription. There may be some out there, but it just doesn't make sense. It would be like subscribing to a newspaper and getting the full issue delivered and the sports section delivered again separately. Maybe that's not a good analogy, but its the best I got.

• Informative

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
There’s a new Hardcore History out. Like 4 straight hours.
Thanks for the tip. I loaded the podcast and was hoping to listen to the first episode to determine if it was a keeper or not. Unfortunately the first 49 episodes were not available for download. I'll check on later to see if they show up. I'd prefer to start at the start.

One of my favorite non-sports podcasts is Business Wars by Wondery. They put together about a half dozen episodes on different business rivals. It started with Nike vs. Addidas. The most recent series of episodes were Ford against Chevy, which is interesting if you grew up in an era where you were either a Chevy guy or a Ford guy. Few crossed over. The publish one or two episodes a week. They just introduced Business Wars Daily. They are only a minute or two long and just started this week It's not near as good as the main series though. Not much you can do in a minute or two that distinguishes the broadcast from normal new bites.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Damn man you listen to that much Des Moines sports radio? Even in major markets there is a lot of time to fill. Do you drive for a living?
I'm retired but do spend quite a bit of time in the car running around doing errands or going places. I pretty much listen to podcasts all day. When I'm home during the day, the television is rarely on. You can listen to podcasts on a Bluetooth speaker and still get some things done running around the house.

My favorite time to listen is when I'm mowing the lawn. I put the wireless earphones in and cover my ears with an ear protection headset and listen without distractions. The phone is tucked away safely on the rider, streaming away and monitoring my mowing with the John Deere app. It really pisses me off when repeat podcasts happen during mowing as I have to stop, park the mower, get off, dig out the phone from it's safe spot and delete the offending podcast.

I suppose that's not as bad as when a repeat happens when I'm in the pool. The phone is inside a three season porch, connected to Bluetooth speakers by the pool. Frustrating to say the least. First world problem indeed.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

I literally have no idea how anybody listens to Travis. I've never encountered somebody who thinks they are so funny...and isn't.

• Disagree
Reactions: Psyclone

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
There’s a new Hardcore History out. Like 4 straight hours.
I am almost done listening to Show 62 - Supernova in the East. By far the longest podcast I've ever listened to. These would be great for a history buff. This is not a good one to listen to if you are running around doing other things and the distractions that come with that. It would be great when mowing the lawn, but my normal 2 or 3 hours of mowing time is now half of that with my new ZTrak mower. So it would take a few mowings to hear it all. This particular podcast is a 4½ hour marathon.

I found a Geek podcast, which although I could have been considered a geek myself, was a bit too much for me. It did link me to another more mainstream and short geek podcasts which might be interesting. They analyzed the statistical probability of the World Series going 4, 5, 6 and 7 games with both teams being equal. Then they checked their results with 50 years of history and the numbers weren't even close.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
They were talking about my 1 star rating on Murph & Andy. But they quickly discarded my opinion like many on here did. What people fail to understand is the different use cases for different people and situations. Most people that aren't power podcasters won't understand those of us that are.

I pretty much play podcasts all day and even listen to them as I go to sleep. They load and play automatically without user intervention as I go through my day. It is equivalent to turning on the radio and leaving it on all day as you do stuff around the house or while driving around. Mine may be a unique use case, but I'm sure I'm not alone. Repeat content is a real nusaince in my use case. To fix the problem they could create a unique subscription & call it highlights or something.

It's not rocket science. I haven't run in to any other podcast that duplicates content under one subscription like KXNO does. I blame the Hawkeye, Andrew Downs for just not getting it. A Cyclone would never screw up something so simple like this. :D

Last edited:
  • Informative

Help Support Us

Become a patron