KXNO Sports Fanatics

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I am not trying to pile on, but she truly is horrible, in fact that entire show is. I have never heard a single thing come out of anyone's mouth on that show that was remotely compelling or interesting. We talk about cops in dsm, some dude's wedding, and regurgitate other news stories with no original take or analysis. I end up randomly listening here and there by accident, and then turning the station. I used to listen to the afternoon show every day.
To be fair, there isn't a whole lot of things going on right now (NBA and NHL playoffs just got finished) and the local baseball teams all stink except for the Twins. June and July are the slowest times in Des Moines sports talk radio.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

hobbsfan27

Jun 6, 2008
Muscatine
My biggest gripe is how much Sean plays the victim card about being a Chicago sports fan. He acts like the white sox have just been absolutely horrible for his whole life, and often talks about how hard it is being a sox fan. I am always tempted to call in and ask him what he thinks losing 18 straight playoff games feels like. (Twins fan here)

Must be tough for him to see his team win a World Series, a Stanley cup, win 6 NBA titles while he was a kid…. Good things he also like the giants in football, maybe one day they will win one too…

Reactions: MJ29

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
To be fair, there isn't a whole lot of things going on right now (NBA and NHL playoffs just got finished) and the local baseball teams all stink except for the Twins. June and July are the slowest times in Des Moines sports talk radio.
Baseball is the thing that Sean knows the most about. This should be the busiest time for him with MLB and CWS going on.

• Agree
Reactions: 4theCYcle

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
Look, it's clear that KXNO has backed themselves into a hole talent wise that isn't winning them listeners in the ISU market segment. BUT. There isn't any way they have the resources to make any staff changes that would make it right with cyclone fans. So instead of going after the hosts on Twitter making them feel bad, just don't listen. There's absolutely no scenario where KXNO going away is a net positive for ISU, or the state of Iowa for that matter.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Heard Heather make some comment before going to break yesterday "we have some topics to cover in the next segment that should hopefully please the we need to talk more sports crowd." Yeesh, she isn't a little butthurt over some of the feedback they've been getting huh?
Heather has a voice pitch that makes her very difficult to listen to for any length of time (for me anyway). It would be good for them to get a few sports guests and let them do the talking. Sean spends so much time producing/hustling ads that I have tuned him out long ago. Probably don't need the local afternoon show as they provide very little sports coverage.

Reactions: Walden4Prez

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
My biggest gripe is how much Sean plays the victim card about being a Chicago sports fan. He acts like the white sox have just been absolutely horrible for his whole life, and often talks about how hard it is being a sox fan. I am always tempted to call in and ask him what he thinks losing 18 straight playoff games feels like. (Twins fan here)

Must be tough for him to see his team win a World Series, a Stanley cup, win 6 NBA titles while he was a kid…. Good things he also like the giants in football, maybe one day they will win one too…
Fellow minnesota sports fan. I'm just numb to it at this point. I have yet to see a championship in my lifetime. I have a friend that moved here from Texas. They were complaining to me about being a Spurs fan and how much it sucks this season. I was like are you crazy?!, the Spur were a dominate team for years winning multiple championships. I would happily trade places if you told me the Timberwolves went through what the Spurs did from the 2000s to today. People get spoiled with winning that once it doesn't go their way, they think the universe is out to get them.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
To be fair, it doesn't matter what season it is. Maybe this is all unfair harsh criticism and that's not what people should do, but maybe in order to improve the show people are making suggestions. I'm sure she'll read this thread since she references CF in the past, but something needs to spark more creative talk on that show, or it'll continue turning people the other way and turn people off. It's just so bland and predictable. Spice it up. Create some new games, list off some topics on twitter to get people engaged, sports betting (I know they talk about it). You have your local talk, regional talk, national talk, worldly talk. I don't know, but what they're doing just doesn't seem to be it.

Unfortunately what was working for KXNO, Chris had to take a step in a different direction and I get it. But it hasn't been the same since, it's stale.

• Agree
Reactions: Cypwr and Acylum

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Fellow minnesota sports fan. I'm just numb to it at this point. I have yet to see a championship in my lifetime. I have a friend that moved here from Texas. They were complaining to me about being a Spurs fan and how much it sucks this season. I was like are you crazy?!, the Spur were a dominate team for years winning multiple championships. I would happily trade places if you told me the Timberwolves went through what the Spurs did from the 2000s to today. People get spoiled with winning that once it doesn't go their way, they think the universe is out to get them.

Yeah I don't really sympathize with Sean's frustration with his teams when they've won titles in his lifetime. I'm a Cubs, Bulls (not so much into NBA now as I was growing up in the 90's) and Chiefs fans and other than 2016 its been a rough go to be a Cubs fan over the year and also went through a lot of rough seasons as a Chiefs fan prior to the Mahomes era. Don't even need to mention how much suffering we go through as Cyclone fans over the years either. I can sympathize with the frustration over the Bears as they have been a mess for a long time but it's not like the Bulls and White Sox have been horrible forever

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The show is actually decent when Heather is off. I remember posting how surprised I was when it started but that happened to be because she was gone a lot at first. And I actually don’t mind the Hawk personalities because they’re upfront about it at least. It’s the hosts that are trying to pass themselves off as neutral that bothers me. Just admit you favor Iowa over ISU.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Look, it's clear that KXNO has backed themselves into a hole talent wise that isn't winning them listeners in the ISU market segment. BUT. There isn't any way they have the resources to make any staff changes that would make it right with cyclone fans. So instead of going after the hosts on Twitter making them feel bad, just don't listen. There's absolutely no scenario where KXNO going away is a net positive for ISU, or the state of Iowa for that matter.
Fair take.

I also think that if AD was a cyclone, the reactions would be the same the other way.

Reactions: CyPhallus

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
She gets butthurt about EVERYTHING
I don’t know if anybody remembers but their producer was a holdover from the Fanatics and he was terrible. Fanatics had like two sounders total and CW would try his hardest to get him to play the breaking news sounder without being obvious and he never caught on. Anyway he finally quit or was fired and Hines was on for a spot during bball season. So Heather introduced him but for some reason they couldn’t get his audio to work. When they finally did he started off with “Is Caleb back?” Which I thought was hilarious but Heather jumped on him to the point it was uncomfortable.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Emery Songer and Sean today. Completely different show. They screwed up letting Emery get away.
Thought the same...Emory is solid ...and Sean is so much better as the dialogue stays relevant and pretty informed

Seems like with Heather (and back with Travis) any attempt for Sean to be legit/professional sounding, they make him the "dumb guy". Heather does it all the time. Often he says something normal and she will correct him...when he didn't need corrected. Then she's like "oh, well, i thought I heard (insert twitter or message board fodder)"

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

It’s not my job to watch or talk about sports and I haven’t watched much this week but off the very top of my head, here are actual sports topics this week:

Baseball
SEC 8 game vs 9 game schedule
Big 10 schedule release
SEC schedule release
NFL futures
1st NBA Nuggets title
Vegas wins Cup in 6th year
US Open
Field of Dreams game not returning
A’s fans pissed while they win 7 in a row

“It’s the summer and there is nothing to talk about” is the LAZIEST excuse of all time. Might as well say “I’m so bad at my job, I can’t be the least bit creative and think of sports topics to talk about.”

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
The loss of CW to KXNO can't be understated. I used to listen almost all my work day, now its all pod casts. Outside of the extra hour of Dan Patrick its all been downhill.
Boy has it done downhill.

KXNO is so Hawkeye heavy/biased and they're so blind they can't see it.

Have to look no further than the NCAA Tournament where the first 90 minutes of Ross and Travis were talking about the Hawkeyes, and then Travis stopped to say "Oh by the way, Iowa State plays Pitt today. OK, we talked about Iowa State. Now back to the Hawks." That was literally the only mention of Iowa State. Was their next show entirely dedicated to talking about Iowa State losing in the first round? Of course not.

Miller and Condon is like listening to nails on a chalkboard. They really think people care to hear that Condon is 6 and the hook in the Northwest Wisconsin State at Milwaukee State game?

Then you have the program director and producer who uses terms like "us" and "we" when talking about the Hawkeyes on air, and only uses plays from past Iowa wins for the play of the day leading up to the CyHawk game. Then Murph & Andy are absolutely dumbfounded by Cyclone fans feeling like there's Hawkeye bias on their show.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Thought the same...Emory is solid ...and Sean is so much better as the dialogue stays relevant and pretty informed

Seems like with Heather (and back with Travis) any attempt for Sean to be legit/professional sounding, they make him the "dumb guy". Heather does it all the time. Often he says something normal and she will correct him...when he didn't need corrected. Then she's like "oh, well, i thought I heard (insert twitter or message board fodder)"
I'm not a huge Sean fan either. He's gotten better now that he's a co-host of a show but he brought on a lot of the "dumb guy" reputation himself but speaking before he thinks. The guy lacks common sense sometimes. There was a show when Travis and Heather were on the Morning rush that they had him convinced that you had to pay to renew your marriage license every year. This went on for for over 10 minutes I bet before they finally caved in and told him they were yanking his chain. That's just 1 of many moments where he got caught with his pants down on live radio because he was so gullible.

Reactions: CapnCy

every_yard

Aug 25, 2006
I'm not a huge Sean fan either. He's gotten better now that he's a co-host of a show but he brought on a lot of the "dumb guy" reputation himself but speaking before he thinks. The guy lacks common sense sometimes. There was a show when Travis and Heather were on the Morning rush that they had him convinced that you had to pay to renew your marriage license every year. This went on for for over 10 minutes I bet before they finally caved in and told him they were yanking his chain. That's just 1 of many moments where he got caught with his pants down on live radio because he was so gullible.
That sounds like terrible radio. How did you listen to 10 minutes of that?

• Haha
Reactions: CYdTracked

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
That sounds like terrible radio. How did you listen to 10 minutes of that?
This is this the first hour of today’s The Morning Rush. Try to listen to the first 5 minutes. Seriously. Try. Keep in mind it’s a sports talk station. And this is normal.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron