KXNO Sports Fanatics

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Did Ross P at least go to Iowa or is he a Tavern Hawk like Hassel?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I hope that's true, but the platform they're currently on looked pretty permanent based on shots during last night's broadcast.

Moreover, there didn't appear to be an open spot where it "should" be.

My hunch is it's right where it was supposed to go but they didn't give the angle enough consideration and plan to fix it this off-season after facing a ton of immediate backlash.

On the Baylor forum, the camera has been a point of discussion. The consensus is they screwed up to put it where it belongs they will have to pull some seats. Oops.
Their board doesn't seem to have a feel if they will do it or not. Most think it is bad enough that they will have to fix it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Both tavern hoks, but one left Iowa and expanded his identity beyond hok sports ball. Guess which one I prefer listening to?

Hassell and Miller shoot straight re Iowa and particularly Fran. It’s also healthy to hear a little ISU criticism from that source vs just our own homerism.

What makes me vomit is this alternate reality where Fran’s full generation of basketball has been some amazing success. To listen or read any other Iowa media you would think he’s coach K. Give me TJ’s 2.5 years over Fran’s 16.

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
When Memphis ran a trick play before halftime of the Liberty bowl out of the "victory formation" Murph and Andy said that ISU should have been prepared for anything and play until the whistle. They even had a poll about if it was bush league to do.

Flash forward to Monday after the Saints/Falcons game and it was discussed as being decidedly cheap and bush league. Also a good way to get players hurt. Wonder what changed in a few weeks?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
When Memphis ran a trick play before halftime of the Liberty bowl out of the "victory formation" Murph and Andy said that ISU should have been prepared for anything and play until the whistle. They even had a poll about if it was bush league to do.

Flash forward to Monday after the Saints/Falcons game and it was discussed as being decidedly cheap and bush league. Also a good way to get players hurt. Wonder what changed in a few weeks?
Lets try to be at least a little intellectually honest. Those are two entirely different situations. One game was decided and the other wasn't. They are absolutely right, ISU should have been better prepared for that. I was sitting in the stands watching and I was pissed we got caught by that. Great play by Memphis.

The other situation, whatever. I can see both sides of it. However, given Winston went against the call of their coaches it's a pretty bad look for the team.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Lets try to be at least a little intellectually honest. Those are two entirely different situations. One game was decided and the other wasn't. They are absolutely right, ISU should have been better prepared for that. I was sitting in the stands watching and I was pissed we got caught by that. Great play by Memphis.

The other situation, whatever. I can see both sides of it. However, given Winston went against the call of their coaches it's a pretty bad look for the team.
I thought this too until I listened to Woody discuss it on a podcast.
Per Woody: the ref asks the offense if they are going to down it. If they say yes, the ref specifically tells the defense to basically hold up and let them down it.
If that's what happened, that's completely BS by Memphis,

Woody went on to say that next year, since that play is now on tape, opponents can tell the officials that they aren't going to hold up in those situations. They can go full speed every time.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Per Woody: the ref asks the offense if they are going to down it. If they say yes, the ref specifically tells the defense to basically hold up and let them down it.

Woody went on to say that next year, since that play is now on tape, opponents can tell the officials that they aren't going to hold up in those situations. They can go full speed every time.
Hmmmm.... I have lots of thoughts about this. Obviously if that's standard practice then yeah, it's a chicken **** move by Memphis. But I also think if officials aren't prepared to call that a penalty in some way then the officials just shouldn't get involved. And if they are willing to call it a penalty just take the next step and let the offense declare they are downing the ball without snapping it. I don't know, I find it hard to believe this is a common practice for these exact reasons. Officials can't be telling the defense the intentions of the offense and to back off unless they are willing to enforce it somehow.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and rosshm16

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I don’t remember the our coaching staff getting angry over it. Maybe they did and the broadcast missed it. It’s possible our D just assumed and the refs never told them to hold up. If they didn’t that’s on ISU if they did then yes it’s a little bush league.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
High school rules likely vary state-to-state, but I've heard in some you have to announce that you're taking a knee and if you don't it's a penalty, and also a penalty on the D if they blast you. It's a safety thing like fair catch. I don't think it's a rule in NCAA but it should be if you ask me. If you're going to allow teams to fake that then you should be prepared for defenses to go full-speed on all kneeling plays and can't call roughing penalties on them.

• Informative
Reactions: NorthCyd

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019

Entirely different situations? The same formation was used in each to run out the clock. Its the exact same.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Hmmmm.... I have lots of thoughts about this. Obviously if that's standard practice then yeah, it's a chicken **** move by Memphis. But I also think if officials aren't prepared to call that a penalty in some way then the officials just shouldn't get involved. And if they are willing to call it a penalty just take the next step and let the offense declare they are downing the ball without snapping it. I don't know, I find it hard to believe this is a common practice for these exact reasons. Officials can't be telling the defense the intentions of the offense and to back off unless they are willing to enforce it somehow.

Don’t completely disagree, but since Woody (and Grant who also said it was bush league) played at this level I trust their judgment

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
8k o

Meh, this isnt peewee football. Be prepared or get burned, they are grown ass men.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Don’t completely disagree, but since Woody (and Grant who also said it was bush league) played at this level I trust their judgment
They are also just a little biased in this particular case.

• Useful
Reactions: Cyched

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Andy Fales just spent 24 minutes on a Missouri Valley game and a Caitlyn Clark lovefest win over a crap team. Zero mention of ISU women who came back from 19 down in the second half against a ranked team.