Kylie Feuerbach in transfer portal

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
I have no insider information but I like your username. ;)

I believe some posters here have a lot of insider information but they can't share with us due to their moral obligations, which is why there are so many speculations on the board.
My username goes back decades before any of the Cyclone sites existed. I first found a Big 12 site and Cyclone was already take, so Psyclone was born.

Reactions: acoustimac

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
I appreciate players like Maddie Wise even more today.
How about Rae Johnson? She goes from starting last year, to dwindling time this year. There were games she didn't even get in. Yet she kept a good attitude and when called on made a difference in some games. You really have to appreciate that attitude. At least how it looked to me from the cheap seats (and occasionally not so cheap seats).

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

When discussing topics related to TOE, I just want you to know people have feelings that can't be comforted by some kind of objective persuasion.

To me, this upcoming CyHwak game is a MUST WIN. We have lost to them five times (not four) in a roll. It's now the time we beat them. I'm sure a lot of fans would share the same opinion.

Yes the Hilton Magic is still there and will only become more fierce than ever when TOE comes.

I know CBF can't block her to transfer to a certain school but some coaches would still ask the players who transfer out not to go to in-state rival schools behind the closed door. I doubt CBF did that.

I admit to being more objective than most when it comes to Iowa due to my family connections and the relationships I’ve developed there.

But don’t kid yourself here—BF didn’t do that and was in no position to do so.

Agree on your conference and stats take. I am cautiously optimistic on Diew, more so than on some of our past "project" recruits, and she did at least get to experience some top competition vs UConn and other ranked teams at Butler. I would think her injuries set her back (2nd ACL) and she was playing out of position compared to where she will play at ISU. She did play her best game (double/double) against #25 DePaul near seasons end. She's seems pretty athletic (blocks) and has the length so might be a bit of a sleeper or late bloomer. We will see, at this point it's mostly unrealized potential but that potential seems to be there and be more that just a hope and a prayer. I am assuming that since she played for North Tartan and HS in Sioux City and Worthington that she's fairly well known to the staff so that adds some to it for me.

^ And none of that is meant as any sort of diss to Feuerbach, just my observation on Diew.

And definitely don’t take my comments to be negative about Diew in any way. Good addition regardless of this transfer.

And for whomever asked about my relationship here, I’m decidedly on the periphery but do have a connection. Close enough to know.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Check out this article from Des Moines Register:

Former Iowa State starter Kylie Feuerbach explains why she's headed to Iowa

"Obviously, Hilton Magic is something special as well, so that will be something missed".

She never even had the opportunity to experience Hilton Magic with the limited attendance restrictions. Hopefully she will experience "real" Hilton Magic in December. Go Cyclones!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I’m sure playing in front of the hundreds at the sinkhole will be just fine.

LOL. You may, or may not know this, but Iowa is #1 in the Big 10 in attendance and is in the Top 10 nationally for WBB. It's pretty amazing for a state as small as Iowa to have two Div I teams with as good of attendance as they do. All the other Top 10 schools are schools you'll readily ID as Final Four type elites.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
"Obviously, Hilton Magic is something special as well, so that will be something missed".

She never even had the opportunity to experience Hilton Magic with the limited attendance restrictions. Hopefully she will experience "real" Hilton Magic in December. Go Cyclones!

It will be interesting to see how attendance is next season. You'd think with a good team and coming off minimal attendance because of Covid that it will be good. However, thought that two years ago and I was disappointed in the attendance at the last game versus Iowa in Hilton. Good crowd by women's basketball attendance averages in the Big 10/12 but didn't even sniff the number claimed. Was disappointed because both teams were coming off being March seeded at #2 and #3 and I was REALLY expecting a boisterous 9,000 or so considering both teams have good attendance.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
LOL. You may, or may not know this, but Iowa is #1 in the Big 10 in attendance and is in the Top 10 nationally for WBB. It's pretty amazing for a state as small as Iowa to have two Div I teams with as good of attendance as they do. All the other Top 10 schools are schools you'll readily ID as Final Four type elites.
Appreciate your objectivity, knowing you bleed cardinal and gold. A lot of posters, including myself can learn from your attitude and way of thinking.

brtltt

Dec 28, 2008
Let's calm down a bit on the bashing of Kylie. We're welcoming Nyamer Diew with open arms; isn't she doing the same thing to Butler that Feuerbach is doing to us? Transfers are going to be more common going forward; let's honor these kids. Maybe her family ties to ISU made her feel obligated to commit here when her heart was elsewhere.

Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Let's calm down a bit on the bashing of Kylie. We're welcoming Nyamer Diew with open arms; isn't she doing the same thing to Butler that Feuerbach is doing to us? Transfers are going to be more common going forward; let's honor these kids. Maybe her family ties to ISU made her feel obligated to commit here when her heart was elsewhere.
And every and I mean every person here knows Bill can be prickly and/or maybe mentally not the right coach for every player.

We still have a young, good core. I wish Bill many more years of health and wins and Kylie to have a successful Hawk career other than when she plays us.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Why should we honor these kids? Respect their decision sure, but why honor them? It's not like they are inventing the polio vaccine.

• Haha
Reactions: dirtyninety

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
And every and I mean every person here knows Bill can be prickly and/or maybe mentally not the right coach for every player.

We still have a young, good core. I wish Bill many more years of health and wins and Kylie to have a successful Hawk career other than when she plays us.

I hope the hawks lose every game every time so if that means a successful career more power to her. Maybe the only time I can sort of hope Iowa doesn't lose is in FB to Pedo State.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Appreciate your objectivity, knowing you bleed cardinal and gold. A lot of posters, including myself can learn from your attitude and way of thinking.

Truthfully I never really used to pay much attention to Iowa WBB even when a co-workers daughter played for Bluder. Changed a little a few years back. Was at The Barn cheering for the Gophers versus Iowa and couldn't help admiring the play of Megan Gustafson even though I was delighted the Gophers pulled out the win. Channel flipping around this season I would pause to watch Clark play. Being a Minnesotan I'd never seen her play in HS and it was new to me. Up here it's been all Page Bueckers for years of HS coverage. I was not cheering for Iowa when they played Maryland or anything like that but it was one hell of an entertaining game and I'll always like Frese for recruiting Megan Taylor.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Truthfully I never really used to pay much attention to Iowa WBB even when a co-workers daughter played for Bluder. Changed a little a few years back. Was at The Barn cheering for the Gophers versus Iowa and couldn't help admiring the play of Megan Gustafson even though I was delighted the Gophers pulled out the win. Channel flipping around this season I would pause to watch Clark play. Being a Minnesotan I'd never seen her play in HS and it was new to me. Up here it's been all Page Bueckers for years of HS coverage. I was not cheering for Iowa when they played Maryland or anything like that but it was one hell of an entertaining game and I'll always like Frese for recruiting Megan Taylor.
Love Megan Taylor. She, Angie Welle, and Stacy Freese have been my favorite players.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I agree with you. All coaches get on the players from time to time and that's fine but CBF in my view has a way that appears to demean them or almost embarrass them. And yes he does have his favorites who escape that type of treatment on the bench. Now how he is in practice, I don't know. Maybe totally different. Hate to lose her. Go Cyclones.

This is one of the reasons why I have a hard time getting into Iowa State WBB. I don’t like it when coaches do this. I think it’s flat out poor coaching to not understand your players well enough that you drive them away from the program.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
A More Sober View of Kylie Feuerbach's Transfer to Iowa
from a Die-Hard Cyclone Fan Who has No Tie to the HawkeyeNation

A further response to @NEICyFan and other posters who share a neutral opinion on this transfer

The discussion of a single ISU WBB player's transfer news has reached an unprecedented level (17 pages long and counting) and I'd like to touch on a deeper issue which I'm more concerned about.

I believe the negative reactions in this thread are never about her being a bad person. As a matter of fact, she's a good person and we still appreciate what she has done to the ISU WBB program. She does have the right to choose what's best for her basketball career and her life. IMO, the nature of those negative reactions is more about her impact on the CyHawk rivalry.

First of all, I respect all of the posters' opinions whether I agree or disagree, as long as they are rational without personal attacks (including hints of sarcasm or humiliation). I understand if the same issue is viewed from different angles, the opinions could be the opposite. I also understand we come from different backgrounds, but we all share the same thing in this community - the love for the ISU WBB program. I believe the diversity in opinions on this board with healthy discussions can help the forum grow because most of the posters here are well-educated and civilized people.

Regardless of where you come from, if you only root for ISU, or if you root for both ISU and Iowa, this thread wouldn't have reached this level if

1) Kylie decided to transfer to a different school other than Iowa

or
2) ISU was at a completely different competitive level than Iowa (like Baylor vs Texas Tech)

In those two scenarios, her transfer would make little to no impact on both programs. Unfortunately, the reality is her transfer has escalated the rivalry between the two programs that have been on a very similar competitive level for a long time.

If you are a fan who has ties to both schools and would root for both programs to succeed, then you are probably OK with this transfer because it's a win-win situation for you or it's not that big of a deal. But for a fan like me who is a die-hard Cyclone fan (as my username suggests) and has no tie to the Hawkeyes, this is a different animal. I'll try my best to be objective here as a women's basketball fan to explain my point of view.

Although I'm a die-hard CycloneWBB fan, I'm not a HawkeyeWBB hater. My hate for the Hawks is more from the men's sports side. On the contrary, Iowa WBB is a likable program and I can hardly find anything I don't like about them. Their games are fun to watch, to be honest. My bottom line is: I just don't root for their success and would stay neutral mostly when they play non-ISU opponents.

As most posters here would agree, ISU and Iowa are very close in competitive level with a slight difference, just like the relationship of big sister and little sister with a year difference in age. But it's that slight difference that frustrates me because in the past 5 seasons, Iowa is just a little better than ISU in every single year record-wise. I'm just sick and tired of ISU being the second fiddle or "1b" of the State, i.e. the "little sis" for half a decade and counting.

I'll just let the facts talk.

1. Regarding the records

Since the 2016-2017 season,

1) ISU has lost to Iowa 5 games in a roll, even though the scores were very close. Lisa Bluder has never won at Hilton before the period, then did it twice in the past 5 years.

2) Iowa had a better overall record than ISU in every season. Iowa had 20 or more wins in each season while ISU only had one 20+ win season (Bridget Carleton's senior year).

3) Both programs have made the NCAA tournament three times. Iowa had one Elite Eight and two Sweet Sixteen, while ISU lost in the Round of 32 twice and hasn't made Sweet Sixteen since 2010.

4) When facing the in-state rival Drake, ISU went 3-2, Iowa went 4-1.
When facing the in-state rival UNI, ISU went 2-1, Iowa went 4-1.

5) ISU has seen two of the program's all-time best players in Bridget Carleton and Ashley Joens in this period, while Iowa raises it with Megan Gustafson, Kathleen Doyle and Caitlin Clark who led Iowa for better records.

2. Regarding the coaching

There are three major aspects to judge how good a coaching staff is.

1) game preparation and in-game coaching
2) recruiting
3) player development

Combine all three, I think Iowa has done a slightly better job than ISU in the past five seasons.

3. Regarding the goal for the near future

Lisa Bluder and Caitlin Clark have both said the goal is to reach the Final Four and compete for the B1G championship in public. While the goal of ISU remains unclear (I have read, watched and listened to every single ISU coach and player's interview that I could possibly find). The closest answer I could find is to compete and meet higher expectations next season.

4. Regarding the fan support

1) Attendance: ISU is still with an upper hand but Iowa is closing the gap fast.

2) Social Media following: Iowa is getting better now since the program gets more national exposure with Caitlin Clark's popularity

3) Fan forum traffic: CycloneFanatic is dominating HawkeyeNation on the WBB forum, which is the one I'm really proud of.

Overall, I don't think either program is capable of suddenly going supernova to reach Baylor or UConn's level. The competition will stay close. I'm a realist fan. What I hope is for the balance to be restored back to the old days, for ISU to at least get back to the same 50-50 level with Iowa so both programs can have a chance of being the "1a" or "big sis" of the State in turn.

To me, this KF transfer thing is a trigger to a much deeper issue about the CyHawk rivalry. Whether she can become a positive addition for the Hawks is to be determined, but it certainly doesn't help ISU in this matter.

For ISU to get back to the even level with Iowa, or surpass Iowa, IMO the ISU coaching staff needs to do the following

1) Develop players better, especially make it a priority to ensure Donarski and Ryan achieve close to Ashley Joens level. A team with three legitimate stars usually can go very deep in the postseason.

2) Change or optimize player usage with more options. Can't always rely on Ashley Joens exclusively. Need to get other players involved in crunch time, be more unpredictable.

3) Recruit better players at the high school level and from the transfers, especially good post players. I understand we can develop freshman posts but they need time to become P6 level players but there's only one or two years left for Ashley Joens, so the quickest route is to get a better one through the transfer portal. Iowa doesn't have a problem recruiting good post players, neither should ISU.

If ISU can improve more than Iowa in the foreseeable future, then I guess losing KF to Iowa isn't really a big deal after all. You may treat my previous passionate takes in this thread as being out of the envy or jealousy of the Hawks being more successful than ISU did in recent years.

In conclusion, I have nothing personal against Kylie. As a Cyclone fan, I want ISU to get back to its glory days and achieve as much as Iowa did in recent years.

Peace.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
This is one of the reasons why I have a hard time getting into Iowa State WBB. I don’t like it when coaches do this. I think it’s flat out poor coaching to not understand your players well enough that you drive them away from the program.

Even without knowing the "real" reason for the transfer, I think it is safe to say that conflicts/personality issues occur in all sports. The new transfer rule makes the decision a bit easier for athletes as evidenced by the high numbers in the portals.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron