Lakefront vacation spots

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Anyone have any good recommendations for this? Preferably within a 5 hour radius of Des Moines. We've done the Okoboji thing before, so looking for something new. No kids so doesn't need to be family friendly.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Minnesota. Get a little Suck My Wake with this guy...

26463ff64884111ac3c631e04bf73c74.png

Reactions: ruflosn

troyisu

Jan 13, 2011
Waukee
Lake of the Ozarks. Okoboji on steroids. Been going there my whole life. Between the lake front bars/restaurants, partycove, nightlife and golf courses, you can't go wrong. Very reasonable condos for rent all over as well and most come with a boat slip free of charge.

Reactions: Veenker Stinker

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Brainerd Lakes area. It might be a little more than 5 hours but not much more.

Agree with this. Brainerd Lakes isn't crowded like Okoboji with tons of boats condos and lakefront bars. It is much more quiet and the waters are far, far better. My suggestion would be the Whitefish chain if you want a gigantic clean lake with some opportunities for entertainment.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Agree with this. Brainerd Lakes isn't crowded like Okoboji with tons of boats condos and lakefront bars. It is much more quiet and the waters are far, far better. My suggestion would be the Whitefish chain if you want a gigantic clean lake with some opportunities for entertainment.
MTown describes it pretty well. There's still plenty to do there but it's a bit less crowded than Okoboji. The Gull Lake area offers a bit more in the way of entertainment options than Whitefish if that's what you're looking for. If you have any questions, there are plenty of people on here that spend time in the Brainerd Lakes area that would be very happy to help.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Anyone have any good recommendations for this? Preferably within a 5 hour radius of Des Moines. We've done the Okoboji thing before, so looking for something new. No kids so doesn't need to be family friendly.

Lots of ways to go with this. You looking for partying or fishing? More secluded vacation or busy? what kind of recreation activities are you after?

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Lots of ways to go with this. You looking for partying or fishing? More secluded vacation or busy? what kind of recreation activities are you after?
I'm pretty open to different scenes. Nothing really super crazy; just something on a lake in a town or with a town nearby is all I'm really looking for.

• Creative
Reactions: dosry5

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Whitefish Chain. My family has been there since 1990 and its one of the best spots you can visit. There's a reason Fred is on the chain as well. :) If you need any recommendations on entertainment or lodging, feel free to reach out to me.

Reactions: CloneGuy8

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Whitefish Chain. My family has been there since 1990 and its one of the best spots you can visit. There's a reason Fred is on the chain as well. :) If you need any recommendations on entertainment or lodging, feel free to reach out to me.
Next time you're at Reeds or Ace look for the Cadillac with the cyclone plates.

We've been up there since the 80s and so has a brand new Caddy every year.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado

Plus you might get a Hoiberg sighting.. he has a house on the whitefish chain

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I'll keep eye out for you! We're on Daggett.
Not my car, just one ive noticed!!

Parents have a place on Ox and land on Little Pine. They are saving the land for my sister and I to build but unfortunately I cant afford a second house... Especially ones that's 6 hours away.

• Agree
Reactions: RedlineSi

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Any specific lake on Whitefish Chain, or are they all pretty good?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I've seen him a couple times at the Wharf and on their pontoon. A couple years ago he had his entire Bulls staff at the rec center playing basketball.

that's crazy about the rec center. my parents are "two doors down" from Clay Moser, an assistant for the Lakers. Hoibergs bought theirs for about 1.2m and it's worth about 850k. not that it matters but real estate up there still hasn't quite recovered from the crash. my dad did some work on his property that required an in-person stop to the county recorder. let's just say i had some free time and a curious mind.