CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
8lBA.gif

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Quite frankly, I don’t disagree with Kiffin here. He does have a right to kick him off the team. They just can’t pull his scholarship as a result.
agree. The kid should have communicated he is going through something and tried to talk to the staff about it instead of disappearing (if in fact that is what happened). I'm sure if he would have done that, the staff would have tried to find some resources to help him out. But it is Ole Miss, I don't feel bad if negative repercussions come their way. This program has been cheating for decades. When they have been caught, it doesn't really matter, they pay whatever little hand slap price for the violations and just go back to cheating again. And why not? It is helped them win a lot. Now, of course in the age of NIL it is different, but back before NIL, they were paying players like crazy.

Reactions: somecyguy

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Lane Kiffin has been a ginormous preening d*uchebag ever since he became a public figure with his first head coaching job at Tennessee. This episode probably won't cost him his current job, sorry to say, but it does validate why I have always had nothing but contempt for him.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
In the real world this is called "Job Abandonment". It's unfortunate that he didn't even notify any coaches, but in the age of NIL I'm going go agree with Kiffin on this one. If they are 18 and want to be paid like adults then they need to follow rules.

The sad part is they probably would have gotten him some help if he would have simply told someone.

On his side though, since football players are suppose to be big and tough, he might have felt ashamed to talk about it.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Kiffin is a douche. Kid should have reached out but we don't know the circumstances. Kiffin getting mad at the kid for asking why he was being so disrespectful is a pretty good tell why he might not have been ready to talk to him.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Lane Kiffin has been a ginormous preening d*uchebag ever since he became a public figure with his first head coaching job at Tennessee. This episode probably won't cost him his current job, sorry to say, but it does validate why I have always had nothing but contempt for him.

Kiffin can do whatever he wants as long as he wins games. It's the SEC.

The kid left and didn't tell anyone from the sounds of it. I get why Kiffin would be pissed and tell the kid that. The kid owes the coaches and team the respect of telling them why he left.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Sounds like the kid was able to keep his scholarship. It's unfortunate if was having mental health issues, and it's not his fault if he was, but it's still his responsibility to at least communicate with the coaches.

And Kiffin still seems like a douche.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Kiffin yelled at the kid for "not showing up for work". He's gonna regret that comment as his players are not employees.
I think he actually says not showing up to work. I don't think this is the legal gotcha some seem to want it to be. One can perform work or even show up to a place to work without legally being an employee.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I probably need to know more of the back story but was the athlete attending classes and study groups or did he completely vanish?

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I think he actually says not showing up to work. I don't think this is the legal gotcha some seem to want it to be. One can perform work or even show up to a place to work without legally being an employee.
You're right, but I don't think "for" or "to" make much difference. The operative word he used was "work" and I'm guessing the player's lawyer will latch onto that.

While I think the coach was probably within his rights to dismiss a player from the team for going AWOL for 2 weeks, if that player was suffering from documented mental health issues at the time, the university will probably end up having to pay a settlement.

I wouldn't be surprised if the university administration ends up telling Kiffin he needs to reinstate the player.

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Been pretty quiet around Lane for a while so even if the player needed to be better in some way, his brash dooshiness was gonna pop up some time.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You're right, but I don't think "for" or "to" make much difference. The operative word he used was "work" and I'm guessing the player's lawyer will latch onto that.

While I think the coach was probably within his rights to dismiss a player from the team for going AWOL for 2 weeks, if that player was suffering from documented mental health issues at the time, the university will probably end up having to pay a settlement.

I wouldn't be surprised if the university administration ends up telling Kiffin he needs to reinstate the player.
So when a teacher says you need to do better work on your test, it means that junior high and high school kids are now employees of their school?

A statement like this means absolutely nothing.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

His lawyer is going to latch on to the most cliche coaching term ever that’s been said millions of times? Are those lawyers going to come after me for child labor laws because I told my 2nd grade flaggers “let’s get to work” when we started practice?

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
As someone who has had anxiety/depression related mental health issues. The best setup would be to have someone at the athletic department level a student athlete can go to in a situation like this. That person can help them get access to resources and be a liaison with the coaching staff/program. It’s not reasonable that you’re going to have a meeting with a professor, coach, boss, et al in the middle of a mental health crisis/episode. But you should communicate in some way, particularly if there is a reasonably designed mechanism to do so. However, that doesn’t mean the student athlete automatically gets back on the team, that should be up to the coaching staff (while getting to keep their scholarship for the designated period).