Laptop vs Surface Pro

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I currently have 6 year old Dell 2-1 laptop that has developed a bunch of bubbles under the glass. Seems to be an issue with the touchscreens. It’s more economical to get a new computer than to stick $400-$500 in a new touchscreen for my laptop.

I’ve been given the option of a new laptop or a Surface Pro. I currently use my laptop at shows to show videos of our products, don’t have to worry about hauling a monitor/TV with me. Just looking to see what peoples experiences are with the Surface Pro.

Company I work for is letting me chose what I want. I’ve had laptops my entire work career, so a Surface would be something new to me. I know how technology changes daily with computers, so I need to look at options for each. Just want to see what people think of them.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
We use surfaces at work, they used to have some more differences from a normal laptop but the newer gens are basically the same. They are pretty thin and light so good for hauling around, I think they still have just the one USB port. Sounds like a good fit for what you’re describing.

OPCyclone

Dec 4, 2008
Overland Park, KS
I have had a Surface Pro at work for a few years now. I would not buy one for myself as I have had several dock failures and the keyboard has syncing and connection issues. If the laptop is more powerful and will run videos better, then get the laptop. Likely more reliable......

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I didn't like the Surface as a work device, they got finicky for that. I love it as a home usage device. If your workload and requirements for using the Surface are fairly low, I'd go that route. We had problems at work getting them to do multiple monitors, multitasking capabilities, things like that.

Now a device just to poke around on the web, watch videos, etc. on? They're awesome for that.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I have had a Surface Pro at work for a few years now. I would not buy one for myself as I have had several dock failures and the keyboard has syncing and connection issues. If the laptop is more powerful and will run videos better, then get the laptop. Likely more reliable......

Is yours old enough to have the detachable keyboard? I had the same issues until the keyboard finally died and the new one doesn't have any of those connection problems.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I've been through about 3-4 gens worth of surface pro's and love them. They are easy to transport, work great, and I like the look/feel. We had issues on the first couple of gens as they could be finicky with encryption and docks. The 7 at least has been great and haven't had nearly the issues. My wife and I have purchased them for home use as well.

Reactions: CycloneGamecock

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
It depends on how many ports (hdmi/usb/ect) that you think you need. A Surface Pro is pretty limited in that regard from what I've seen from the guys I work with that have one.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
My wife has a Chromebook (which I think is similar in function to a Surface). She absolutely loves it - but it’s not for me, as I do things like play games that require more computing power, and I like having more USB ports.

I would think it depends on what you want to do with the machine you ultimately but.