Large Area of Iowa in Extreme Drought.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It's getting scary out there. Lots of rivers are at all time lows. Having this level of deficit already is a major concern. If we have a dry spring lots of communities are going to have drinking water concerns. Poweshiek Water is already instituting a mandatory conservation order. These are the types of things you see in dry years mid-summer, not mid-march. Here is a map showing the stream flow by watershed in the state. Yikes!

1000001369.jpg

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
It's getting scary out there. Lots of rivers are at all time lows. Having this level of deficit already is a major concern. If we have a dry spring lots of communities are going to have drinking water concerns. Poweshiek Water is already instituting a mandatory conservation order. These are the types of things you see in dry years mid-summer, not mid-march. Here is a map showing the stream flow by watershed in the state. Yikes!

View attachment 125973
I know it just came out but I feel like this is not getting enough coverage.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Not much change since early March despite scattered rain since:

View attachment 127263
Yikes, i figured with the decent amounts of rain the last month that it would be much improved.

I do know the Racoon River in Des Moines is back up again and they are letting more water out of Saylorville now so hopefully that's a good sign.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Yikes, i figured with the decent amounts of rain the last month that it would be much improved.

I do know the Racoon River in Des Moines is back up again and they are letting more water out of Saylorville now so hopefully that's a good sign.
The map is from last week but may well still be accurate.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Yall are welcome down in AZ. :p
If we're all going to go dry, may as well nuke that volcano and start over.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Not much change since early March despite scattered rain since:

View attachment 127263
How do they measure this stuff? I'm guessing the "norm" is based on historical averages? But what do the measure? Water flow in creeks and rivers? Take soil samples at different depths to get moisture content? Or is it just based off rain/snow fall over a certain amount of time?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Is it forecast to be wetter in upcoming months? Drought monitor outlooks show IA drought improving and even going away in spots

They did say yesterday next Monday and Tuesday we have a chance for some heavy rain.

• Optimistic
Reactions: StClone

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Normally it's a sign that he drought is about over when the dryest area is in the Northeast part of the state. Historically droughts have tented to move clockwise from the Southwest, through the Midwest and then Southeast. Looking at the surrounding area though, I'm not as positive just yet for '24.

• Informative
Reactions: NoCreativity

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
How do they measure this stuff? I'm guessing the "norm" is based on historical averages? But what do the measure? Water flow in creeks and rivers? Take soil samples at different depths to get moisture content? Or is it just based off rain/snow fall over a certain amount of time?
The USGS has gauges in every river in the country measuring flow

• Informative
Reactions: Letterkenny

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So supposedly I’m in a severe drought, but my sump pump is running every couple hours. I must have drainage issues or something?

• Wow
Reactions: Acylum

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron