Laser can detect substances at 160ft

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
Gizmodo reports a scanner that could read people at the molecular level has been invented. This laser-based scanner – which can be used 164-feet away — could read everything from a person’s adrenaline levels, to traces of gun powder on a person’s clothes, to illegal substances — and it can all be done without a physical search. It also could be used on multiple people at a time, eliminating random searches at airports.

No more long security lines? Sounds good to me.

New Homeland Security Laser Scanner Reads People At Molecular Level CBS DC

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Gizmodo reports a scanner that could read people at the molecular level has been invented. This laser-based scanner – which can be used 164-feet away — could read everything from a person’s adrenaline levels, to traces of gun powder on a person’s clothes, to illegal substances — and it can all be done without a physical search. It also could be used on multiple people at a time, eliminating random searches at airports.

No more long security lines? Sounds good to me.

New Homeland Security Laser Scanner Reads People At Molecular Level CBS DC

Sounds like the "sensor array" from Star Trek has been invented. Only about 200 years earlier than in the sci-fi timeline.

Cychotiic

Nov 27, 2010
Ames
Sounds horrible to me. if they don't end the war in drugs be ready for 30% of the youth to get arrested for possession. Not to even bring up the amount of mip's

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Inb4 road to 1984 comment. In all seriousness if this works I'll be all for it. The security lines at Ohare are brutal.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I know that this tech has a chance to be abused...but the medical uses could be extraordinary. If they can detect cancer in realtime and this thing is precise enough to detect molecules of explosives...only time before they can destroy those cancer cells from this scanner too. That's some straight Star Trek tech there boyz. (and Angie)

Although the technology could be used by “Big Brother,” Genia Photonics states that the device could be far more beneficial being used for medical purposes to check for cancer in real time, lipids detection, and patient monitoring.