Late Kick Live latest ep. 115

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
He's right about a lot of that.

I disagree that what ISU has done can be done anywhere. I think Campbell and company are elite at identifying characteristics in prospective recruits that enable them to play much better than their rated recruiting position. And then they have the coaching chops to get them there.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and traboh

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

Maybe this has already been posted and I missed it. But it fits Josh Pate's point.

Reactions: 83cy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Pate talks about bad hires as the reason others can't do what Campbell has. I think it is harsh to say that everyone who hasn't done what Campbell has is a bad hire. We learn from our mentors and Campbell had a mentor who understood this at Mount Union. Many other coaches had mentors who only understood "the way it has always been done". They have to unlearn what they have been taught and relearn how to build a program. Good people can still have difficulty doing that in the amount of time they have at a lot of these programs.

Also, good people who want to do the right thing can not succeed with this because as he mentioned many programs and the people around the program don't give him (or hopefully someday her) the time and support to build it right.

I love that he used Tennessee as the example of where what Campbell is doing wouldn't work considering what just happened recently surrounding Campbell and the Vols program.

Reactions: traboh and Die4Cy

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC

Maybe this has already been posted and I missed it. But it fits Josh Pate's point.

This is not new for Campbell... A few yrs back the Athletic did a re-ranking of the 2015 recruiting class. This was Campbell's last class at Toledo. The re-ranking put that class at #13 in the country, the 2015 rank was #84. ISU did not make the 're-ranking' list for 2016 or 2017. We will see if the 2018 class makes the list next year (re-rank is done 4 yrs after the class signs).

(full article here - but need a subscription to the Athletic: https://theathletic.com/797789/2019...rch_query=Reranking the 2015 recruiting class)

I think people get too hung up on the recruiting rankings. You really need a re-ranking of the classes after the players finish their careers to measure how well a school is recruiting.

ISU has not finished higher than 7th in the B12 in recruiting rankings, yet they are 2nd in Conf Win% (last 4 yrs) and tied for 2nd in B12 1st team selections (last 4 yrs)...

Reactions: VeloClone