Latest from Orangebloods. Congress may intervene if superconferences take shape...

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Re: Latest from Orangebloods. Congress may intervene if superconferences take shape..

This all makes me sick. And I think it's only going to get worse before it gets better. Mark my words though: We are more attractive if we have a border state neighbor with us (Mizzou) and Mizzou will be the "binder" between the Kansas schools and ISU.

CycloneJames

Dec 1, 2009
Ankeny
Re: Latest from Orangebloods. Congress may intervene if superconferences take shape..

Do you think Denver would put up a bigger fight over adding a network like the Big 10 Network? I know a few people in Boulder and they don't even have cable tv. There is a lot more to do in Denver then watch Colorado suck at football and basketball.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA

It's worse case scenario for Deace. As a Michigan fan, he does not want ND in the league. As an on air sports voice in central Iowa, Deace, Miller, and Perrault all very much want Nebraska to the Big 10 to happen. If it doesn't, Perrault and some of his OWH cronies might be looking for a new job along side Beebe.

And Osborn and the Nebraska lawmakers will have to start paying back the money they already started spending.

I'm no Perrault fan but how in the world do you think this will have anything to do with his or anyone else's job in the Iowa media?

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

Do you think Denver would put up a bigger fight over adding a network like the Big 10 Network? I know a few people in Boulder and they don't even have cable tv. There is a lot more to do in Denver then watch Colorado suck at football and basketball.

This. I brought this up in another thread about adding Mizzou to the Big 10. Does it really bring the St. Louis/Kansas City markets and would people be ready to pay more to watch the Tigers? I suppose basketball wouldn't be that bad...

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

So why does this keep hinging on Nebraska? If Nebraska were to leave, yeah it would hurt for TV purposes but we could just replace them with another school, and Oklahoma and Texas get an easy ride to the BCS for at least the next few years until a new North leader emerges.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008

This all makes me sick. And I think it's only going to get worse before it gets better. Mark my words though: We are more attractive if we have a border state neighbor with us (Mizzou) and Mizzou will be the "binder" between the Kansas schools and ISU.

I don't see how we are bound to anyone. All the other schools could care less what happens to ISU.

If the MWC call up and says "Hey, we will take KU, KSU and Mizzou, but not ISU."
You know what those three schools are going to say. They aren't going to say "We need ISU in the conf."

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

I have retail stores in Denver. Surprisingly, not to many people in Denver really care that much about the Buffs.....

Broncos, Skiing, Rockies, Avs, Nuggets,....Buffs

I'm sure they will count their TV's, but that is a mistake.

I'm sure Zubin could back that up....

I lived in colorado and you are absolutely right, Denver is not a CU town and Boulder barely is either. But, in this case it doesn't matter. The Pac10 will work this the same way the Big10 did. The will get their network on basic cable and a lot of people that don't look at their bill or care or watch CU sports will be paying their 40 cents a month to the pac10 network. In the Big10 model it doesn't matter if you are a fan just that you pay your cable bill...therefore it is driven by number of cable subscribers, which is why Denver becomes important.

CycloneJames

Dec 1, 2009
Ankeny

This. I brought this up in another thread about adding Mizzou to the Big 10. Does it really bring the St. Louis/Kansas City markets and would people be ready to pay more to watch the Tigers? I suppose basketball wouldn't be that bad...

Another thing I dont get is doesn't the big 10 already have St Louis? I was searching the other day and I found an article that said that the big 10 network came to an agreement with Charter Communications to provide the Big 10 Network in St Louis.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

So why does this keep hinging on Nebraska? If Nebraska were to leave, yeah it would hurt for TV purposes but we could just replace them with another school, and Oklahoma and Texas get an easy ride to the BCS for at least the next few years until a new North leader emerges.

As has been mentioned many times before, which realistic NU replacement will bring the following:

$75,000,000 athletic budget
80,000+ seat FB stadium
Top notch facilities for other sports
Strong nationwide following
Decent academics
AAU member

In addition, the conference needs a sweet TV deal to survive. It appears that the sweet TV deal hinges on NU being in the conference. Stinks, but that's the way it is.

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames

I'm no Perrault fan but how in the world do you think this will have anything to do with his or anyone else's job in the Iowa media?

Perrault is arrogant and sold out on this story because Nebraska to Big10 ads value to him in the central Iowa market. If it doesn't happen, he is left standing on a ledge.

Steven Sipple, Sean Callahan, and Lee Barfneck lost all credibility of any type through this process. They should just all dress up as Husker super fan and leave the business.
Maybe it will still happen, and they will all be giddy, but from the viewpoint of the four of them, this has been a done deal for weeks.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

I lived in colorado and you are absolutely right, Denver is not a CU town and Boulder barely is either. But, in this case it doesn't matter. The Pac10 will work this the same way the Big10 did. The will get their network on basic cable and a lot of people that don't look at their bill or care or watch CU sports will be paying their 40 cents a month to the pac10 network. In the Big10 model it doesn't matter if you are a fan just that you pay your cable bill...therefore it is driven by number of cable subscribers, which is why Denver becomes important.

But what if the opposite happens in Colorado that happened in Iowa? Residents in Iowa fought the cable company to get the Big 10 Network on the basic package and were charged more for it. What would residents in Colorado do if they saw that they were being charged more for a service that only a minority of viewers wanted?

ozhawk

May 3, 2010

Sounds like Texa$ (aka Orangebloods... I'm pretty sure Chip has at least an assistant AD feeding him info) is calling Nebby's bluff.
Taking the tax emempt status of COllege sports will be the end of it for the schools who don't belong to the big conferences.

YOu can't make some tax exempt and others non tax exempt...

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

Taking the tax emempt status of COllege sports will be the end of it for the schools who don't belong to the big conferences.

Or it could end college sports as we know it...which would probably be a good thing for ISU.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA

Actually, it can be done pretty easily. If total revenue for your Athletic Department is over X dollars then that Athletic Department no longer enjoys tax exempt non-profit status. This would get at the bad guys.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA

Or it could end college sports as we know it...which would probably be a good thing for ISU.

I'm going to start pulling for this. Would sure make my life a hell of a lot more happy.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

As has been mentioned many times before, which realistic NU replacement will bring the following:

$75,000,000 athletic budget
80,000+ seat FB stadium
Top notch facilities for other sports
Strong nationwide following
Decent academics
AAU member

In addition, the conference needs a sweet TV deal to survive. It appears that the sweet TV deal hinges on NU being in the conference. Stinks, but that's the way it is.

Its all about tv audience, and ability to be 'respectable' in the conference. A big budget\stadium, etc bring nothing to the conference, as we dont have revenue sharing on income or gate sales...

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

Actually, it can be done pretty easily. If total revenue for your Athletic Department is over X dollars then that Athletic Department no longer enjoys tax exempt non-profit status. This would get at the bad guys.

You'd have to structure it so the first $X is exempt and everything above that is taxable.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

With all due respect, if ISU had a very large athletic budget and fan following like say Nebraska, would you consider us "bad guys"?

It has to be everyone, or none at all, IMO.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009

+1, money and college football do not go together, this has got way too out of hand.

hobbes

Feb 20, 2010
Chicago

As a consumer, I think congress should look into cable tv practices and give cable subscribers the ability to opt-out of programming (like the big ten network, texas network, etc.). The FCC could mandate that households finally get to choose the channels that they want to watch and pay for. I only watch a small percentage of the channels that I am forced to pay for. And maybe that would make the Big Ten have second thoughts about Rutgers and Mizzou.