"Lawless Republic" takes a dig @ ISU

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Odd article.

First, I don't remember anyone associated with Iowa State being particularly negative about BYU. The closest would be Pollard saying things about not expanding period.

Second, our own Chris Williams has been a strong voice for BYU joining the Big 12, but not for the reasons stated in the article ("bringing eyeballs to television"), but because their global fan base is the mostly likely to embrace "subscription broadcasts."

Third, there is nothing in the article that even sniffs at Bowlsby's hints of a different type of conference, such as having a portion be a "premier" league. The notion of the P5 being limited in number to the current 65 is blown away by this concept.

Stupid article, but it did help me to consolidate some of my thinking about conference expansion.

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
melvin-ejim-flips-off-byu-crowd.gif

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I'm not opposed to adding BYU for the record. The main reason for opposition I've read around here is either hating Mormonism or Big 12 defeatists who believe our conference dissolution is inevitable and ISU will get a Power 4 invite so long as we don't create any competition (dumb).

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
The idea of bringing in Boise State along with BYU is so dumb that it renders any of his arguments as ridiculous. The idea of adding football only members to save travel costs for other sports was a little intriguing, but I don't think it will fly.

The article may have held a little more sway last year, but the results this year blow his reasoning away. The Big 12 not only added a championship game for more money, but still had a selection to the CFP, and still only had to carve up our money 10 ways. Years like this are a huge incentive to leave the conference as is.

Sadly, he does have one significant fact correct. If another round of conference realignment occurs, ISU (along with KSU and Baylor) is in a very bad position and one of the most likely to get left out.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Odd article.

First, I don't remember anyone associated with Iowa State being particularly negative about BYU. The closest would be Pollard saying things about not expanding period.

Second, our own Chris Williams has been a strong voice for BYU joining the Big 12, but not for the reasons stated in the article ("bringing eyeballs to television"), but because their global fan base is the mostly likely to embrace "subscription broadcasts."

Third, there is nothing in the article that even sniffs at Bowlsby's hints of a different type of conference, such as having a portion be a "premier" league. The notion of the P5 being limited in number to the current 65 is blown away by this concept.

Stupid article, but it did help me to consolidate some of my thinking about conference expansion.

Seems like we had some issues with their treatment of women...not that this needs to turn into a big political thread.

There was also hurdles of trying to manage 3 times zones within the conference while avoiding Sundays for BYU.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Sadly, he does have one significant fact correct. If another round of conference realignment occurs, ISU (along with KSU and Baylor) is in a very bad position and one of the most likely to get left out.

We're not in a great spot if the next round of realignment plays out like the last and is primarily driven by cable subscribers in the area. However, with cable subscriptions declining and people becoming very comfortable with streaming options, I don't know that that will be the case. Actual viewers may be far more important next time around.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
We're not in a great spot if the next round of realignment plays out like the last and is primarily driven by cable subscribers in the area. However, with cable subscriptions declining and people becoming very comfortable with streaming options, I don't know that that will be the case. Actual viewers may be far more important next time around.

Precisely why aiming for actual fanbases and intriguing matchups could be the driving force next go-round. BYU has a loyal fanbase; luring away the Arizona schools would be a homerun. Hopefully Texas can rise up and win a natty before 2025.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Precisely why aiming for actual fanbases and intriguing matchups could be the driving force next go-round. BYU has a loyal fanbase; luring away the Arizona schools would be a homerun. Hopefully ISU can rise up and win multiple nattys before 2025

fify ;)

• Optimistic
Reactions: CYCLNST8

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Precisely why aiming for actual fanbases and intriguing matchups could be the driving force next go-round. BYU has a loyal fanbase; luring away the Arizona schools would be a homerun. Hopefully Texas can rise up and win a natty before 2025.

I dunno about BYU. They seem to think they're something. I'd be good with it if the Big 12 could land Notre Dame to feature inter-faith showdowns on a regular basis.

The Arizona schools would be intriguing, though. Does the Pac 12 have a grant of rights?

IIRC, the ACC's TV deal and grant of rights are up a year before the Big 12's. The Big 12 is paying out more money per school, so there could be an opening there as well.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
The Big 12 has cast its dice with respect to the next 3-4 years...where everything goes by 2024 has yet to be determined. BYU may get an invite to the PAC, but really doubt it. They are outsiders looking in unless things really go sideways.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I've said it once and I'll say it again but the Big 12 capped out their weirdo allotment when WVU was added, so their simply wasn't enough room for BYU.

We got rid of a whole boatload of weird when A&M left. WV is doing their best, no doubt, but are they really keeping us on that level?

• Funny
Reactions: CYCLNST8

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I chose to continue reading without disabling ad block. Glad they wont get any ad revenue from my reading of that article.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I dunno about BYU. They seem to think they're something. I'd be good with it if the Big 12 could land Notre Dame to feature inter-faith showdowns on a regular basis.

The Arizona schools would be intriguing, though. Does the Pac 12 have a grant of rights?

IIRC, the ACC's TV deal and grant of rights are up a year before the Big 12's. The Big 12 is paying out more money per school, so there could be an opening there as well.

ACC locked in for a while:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...year-rights-deal-lead-2019-launch-acc-network

That's why the Big 12 panicked that summer and announced we were looking into expansion. Pac 12 expires August 2024 I believe.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I've always been against adding BYU simply because OU and UT arrogance is enough to handle. No need to add another school with an oversized opinion of itself.

• Winner
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

"Ok Harris let's not start a holy war here!"