Lawn Question: Crabgrass Killer?

CycloneCJ

Jan 21, 2008
Plymouth, MN
Hi all, hoping to tap the collective lawn care knowledge of CycloneFanatic. I'd like to find a good post-emergent crab grass killer. I've already used a pre-emergent fertilizer but still have several spots of established crabgrass I'd like to kill.

I've looked online and several sites recommend Drive XLR8 but I can only find it via Amazon and it's very pricey.

Wondering if anyone has recommendations or can confirm that Drive XLR8 is worth it.

Thanks in advance!

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Drive does work. Spot treat the bad areas with Drive now and continue in the spring with pre emerge.

Or you can use this....

ncclone

Apr 12, 2006
Drive is very good. I would recommend going to Lowes and look for something that has quinclorac in it. That is the active ingredient in Drive. Just look on the ingredient list. The bottle usually says crabgrass killer. Much cheaper and you don't have to buy 10 years worth.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Are you sure it's crabgrass? I really doubt there's much crabgrass in MN right now. It's just not warm enough. Right now you'd probably be seeing more tall fescue which is a perennial and would explain why your pre-emergent isn't preventing it.

CycloneCJ

Jan 21, 2008
Plymouth, MN
Are you sure it's crabgrass? I really doubt there's much crabgrass in MN right now. It's just not warm enough. Right now you'd probably be seeing more tall fescue which is a perennial and would explain why your pre-emergent isn't preventing it.

I just assumed it was crabgrass. Any thoughts on how I can tell for sure? If it's tall fescue what can I use to get rid of it?

CycloneCJ

Jan 21, 2008
Plymouth, MN
I just assumed it was crabgrass. Any thoughts on how I can tell for sure? If it's tall fescue what can I use to get rid of it?

Did some research online and I think you're right. What I have looks more like tall fescue. Any tips to remove without killing my other grass?

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Did some research online and I think you're right. What I have looks more like tall fescue. Any tips to remove without killing my other grass?
As ajk mentioned, Roundup is an option. The alternative is to dig it out. Digging it out is more work but leaves you with an area where you can throw down a little topsoil and some seed and have it looking good fairly quickly. Roundup will leave dead clumps of grass where new seed won't germinate very well.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
As ajk mentioned, Roundup is an option. The alternative is to dig it out. Digging it out is more work but leaves you with an area where you can throw down a little topsoil and some seed and have it looking good fairly quickly. Roundup will leave dead clumps of grass where new seed won't germinate very well.

This worked in my back yard.

In our front yard I had a huge area which I just sprayed with some round up. Dug it out. and resodded it.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
This worked in my back yard.

In our front yard I had a huge area which I just sprayed with some round up. Dug it out. and resodded it.
I had a huge area in my back yard which I hit with Roundup and then went over with a slit seeder and that seemed to work well, also.

CycloneCJ

Jan 21, 2008
Plymouth, MN
Unfortunately mine is in little clumps mixed in around the yard. I tried pulling some out last year but it didn't seem to do any good. Maybe I'll try brushing on a bit of Round-up very carefully...

Help Support Us

Become a patron