Lawsuit: Iowa illegally marked up liquor prices for years

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This is what I was thinking too because even at those deep discounts Hy-Vee still has to be making some profit off it. Ridiculous that they can sell 750ml of Captain for $9.99 which normally is like $17.99 and one of the biggest discounts I found then was Maker's Mark, normally $34.95 was $19.99 on that sale. Crazy mark ups! My uncle from IL said the same thing over Thanksgiving when he went to buy some stuff, he shops at Binny's too and commented how high our prices were to what he pays for normally there.

The retailers are absolutely losing money on certain liquor deals. They will treat them as a lost leader to get people in the door.

• Agree
Reactions: Nothingman

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
The state has nothing to do with that sale. Some of the suppliers put together "rebates" for large case quantity buys but I can tell you that large spirits sale in October is a loss for the Urbandale HyVee wine and spirits. It's more so a get people to come to our store type tactic.
Urbandale HyVee liqour DOES make money on that sales event because of the volume they move that weekend plus the rebates they are getting from the liqour companies.

If anyone wants to know what a store pays the state for booze you can go to abd.iowa.gov and look at the prices the state charges. State is charging $26.25 for a bottle of .750 Makers Mark in December.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Anyone got a secluded acreage somewhere? Maybe we could start making our own brand of CF moonshine, lol

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

Yes, I do. Plus, I live very near a road called Whiskey Ridge. I'm pretty sure this is how it got its name in the 20's. I just don't like liquor all that much.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Urbandale HyVee liqour DOES make money on that sales event because of the volume they move that weekend plus the rebates they are getting from the liqour companies.

If anyone wants to know what a store pays the state for booze you can go to abd.iowa.gov and look at the prices the state charges. State is charging $26.25 for a bottle of .750 Makers Mark in December.

Wine and beer sales help offset the losses they are taking on the liquor sale but out the door they are maybe right around the break even point but must likely losing money...

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Yeah....when I go home (Wisconsin), it's like a free-for-all. Examples: Windsor 1.75L, Iowa Hy-Vee $18.99, Woodman's in Madison $11.99. UV Vodka 1.75L, Hy-Vee $18.99, Woodman's $9.99. It's pretty eye-opening.

Of course, Wisconsin makes tax revenue on liquor simply by volume. :p

Gotta live up to that drunken sconnies reputation somehow! :D

Dec 16, 2019
Not surprised. Busch light is way over priced here in the Ames area. When I went to Illinois they had 30 racks for $12.99. We don't even have 30 racks, we have cases and they are $20.

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

CyBlock

Oct 1, 2019
Every time I visit friends in Illinois I stock up on handles of captain. $20 at Jewel Osco compared to $37 here in Iowa. Absolutely insane

You got that right!! I stock up here in Illinois for my family in Ames before heading back home to visit. Saves them at least $15 a bottle, and about $6-$8 for a case of beer. The only bad thing is they probably can't return the empties to get their 5 cents back....

Edit: Plus, Not 100% sure, but isn't the alcohol volume on beer in Illinois still higher than Iowa?

Last edited:
Reactions: CloneFan4

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Iowa's just trying to keep you all from being fat alcoholics. Per the Casey's pizza thread and the "Help! I'm Fat" thread I know you're already fat. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
You got that right!! I stock up here in Illinois for my family in Ames before heading back home to visit. Saves them at least $15 a bottle, and about $6-$8 for a case of beer. The only bad thing is they probably can't return the empties to get their 5 cents back....

Hmm...save $6 or get $1.20 in can returns. Tough call. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: STATE12 and CyBlock

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Not surprised. Busch light is way over priced here in the Ames area. When I went to Illinois they had 30 racks for $12.99. We don't even have 30 racks, we have cases and they are $20.

Pretty surprising, considering the shape Illinois is in. I would have figured they would be taxing the hell out of almost everything by now.

CyBlock

Oct 1, 2019
Pretty surprising, considering the shape Illinois is in. I would have figured they would be taxing the hell out of almost everything by now.

They do, but not alcohol for some reason? Tobacco is about $2.50 a pack higher in Illinois vs Iowa. If you want to talk about real estate taxes, then you would definitely stay in Iowa!!!

• Informative
Reactions: SCyclone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
They do, but not alcohol for some reason? Tobacco is about $2.50 a pack higher in Illinois vs Iowa. If you want to talk about real estate taxes, then you would definitely stay in Iowa!!!

I have a cousin in Crystal Lake, IL who bought a boat last summer from a private individual. He got a call from the state this spring.....they were disputing the amount he paid for the boat! (Apparently the value determines the amount of tax paid.)

They were demanding he prove the amount. I've also heard Illinois is considering an extra tax on people who are selling their homes to move out of state.

The lesson to be learned from this is that inefficient government leads to taxpayers getting gouged. Bend over, baby.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If you're paying $37 in Iowa, you're overpaying. Normal price is probably $28-29 in a supermarket. Costco is probably $27 and supposedly you can buy liquor at a warehouse store without a membership.

But I was stunned to be at a Costco in Minnesota maybe five years ago and saw their typical price for the same thing was $20.
We buy cases of liquor at Costco in Minnesota for our RAGBRAI team every year before the ride. The savings are significant.

Reactions: Trice

CyBlock

Oct 1, 2019
I have a cousin in Crystal Lake, IL who bought a boat last summer from a private individual. He got a call from the state this spring.....they were disputing the amount he paid for the boat! (Apparently the value determines the amount of tax paid.)

They were demanding he prove the amount. I've also heard Illinois is considering an extra tax on people who are selling their homes to move out of state.

The lesson to be learned from this is that inefficient government leads to taxpayers getting gouged. Bend over, baby.

Haven't heard that about Illinois, but not surprising. The last number I saw, Illinois was 1st or 2nd in the nation in "defections". You know its bad when the last election cycle, the governors of Indiana, Wisconsin, and maybe Missouri had a TV ad thanking Illinois for sending them high valued workers to help their economic growth...

Dec 16, 2019
From the article:

Seriously, people buy Hawkeye Vodka more than one time?
Gross, I'll never touch Hawkeye ever again, even if I can get a handle of it for $12. The only acceptance use for Hawkeye is using it for a jungle juice. Also **** Black Velvet, smelling that **** makes me want to throw up.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Why are y'all drinking so much crappy rum tho?

The only Rum I like is the stuff I brought back from Dominican Republic. I even went to a local liquor store to see if they could get it for me but they said they couldn't.