LB Rotation

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Apologies in advance if this has been discussed, but why do we refuse to rotate our LB's? From what I saw that position group got abused more than any other yesterday. Yet we stuck with Miller, Meeks & Seeley with a small dose of Drake Ferch, until they got hurt. Brackins came in when Meeks went down and played well. Knott did not sniff the field until Miller got hurt very late in the game.

I know PR said a while back that we would probably see the Meeks/Miller/Seeley combo against power running teams like NDSU, but it was pretty obvious it was not working. Miller is not a good player. Still have hope for Meeks and Seeley, but they never had any playing time before today. Why not get some experience in there with Knott and Brackins even if they are smaller?

Previous years the LB's were the leaders of our defense so it may have made some sense, but not this year.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Our LBs were terrible, the worst position of all. There is just no talent there. Knott should see time, can't be worse.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I thought we were less a sieve in this game. Miller made a few tackles. The eighty yard Crockett run went right through the middle linebacker and changed the game.

Apr 19, 2006
Did Harris even play? Sometimes you just put a guy like that in as he might be a gamer! That and get him playing time as the other guys weren't cutting it.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The fourth quarter was like the end of a bad baseball game. Just swing and get it over.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Did Harris even play? Sometimes you just put a guy like that in as he might be a gamer! That and get him playing time as the other guys weren't cutting it.

I don't believe he played?

I have no idea why though? Did Rhoads think it could get much worse with Harris in there? Especially after Meeks went out. Why not see what the kid can do?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I thought we were less a sieve in this game. Miller made a few tackles. The eighty yard Crockett run went right through the middle linebacker and changed the game.

The 80 yard run happened because the safety didn't fill his gap. When you play gap assignment football everyone has to do their job or it leaves a gap open.

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
AMEN to OP -I've wondered that the past couple of years. If the difference between our LB's is so thin -why not rotate them and at least have fresh bodies making mistakes out there

BigCojones

Aug 24, 2009
Ankeny
Because the game of football has passed Wally Burnham by.

I'd be willing to swap DCs with ND or even UNI right now. I feel like he has had better talent then both those teems and and our D is a train wreck. I absolutely hate when it is 3rd and 3 or 4 and our DB's give 10 yard cushion. That is basically just giving them a 1st down. It was very frustrating to watch their D, or even UNI's, compared to ours and feel good about Wally.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
We have FCS talent on defense, and LB may be the worst position group overall. The players just aren't there. Did Wally forget how to coach in the last two years, or did we just graduate our good athletes that Chizik recruited?

What other BCS schools offered Miller/Meeks/Seeley/Ferch/Brakins/Brackins?

Meeks had a lot of other offers, and we would all agree that he has the most potential of becoming a legit B12 LB.

The rest COMBINED for one other BCS offer (Brackins was offered by Minnesota) according to Rivals.

That's your answers, IMO.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
We have FCS talent on defense, and LB may be the worst position group overall. The players just aren't there. Did Wally forget how to coach in the last two years, or did we just graduate our good athletes that Chizik recruited?

What other BCS schools offered Miller/Meeks/Seeley/Ferch/Brakins/Brackins?

Meeks had a lot of other offers, and we would all agree that he has the most potential of becoming a legit B12 LB.

The rest COMBINED for one other BCS offer (Brackins was offered by Minnesota) according to Rivals.

That's your answers, IMO.

I am pretty sure Knott, Klien and George were all CPR recruits.

Last edited:

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
Miller did not lay a good game from what I watched. You can't tell me Luke Knott wasntm a better option than most of the guys we threw out there

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I am pretty sure Knott, Klien and George were all CPR recruits.

Ok, but look who is replacing them. Either way, we've had some abysmal recruiting since 2011.

Besides Alton Meeks, you have ONE total other BCS offer in our entire LB rotation.

That has to be the worst position group in the entire BCS from a recruiting standpoint.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Miller did not lay a good game from what I watched. You can't tell me Luke Knott wasntm a better option than most of the guys we threw out there

I would like to know what your definition of a good game is. Is it he didn't make a lot of tackles or is it that he wasn't where he was supposed to be?

Just because he may not have a lot of tackles doesn't mean he played bad. From what I saw he played his assignments pretty well.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Ok, but look who is replacing them. Either way, we've had some abysmal recruiting since 2011.

I would disagree with that. Just because players a young and inexperienced doesn't mean they are busts. I guess I am a little more patient than most because I know first hand how long it takes some guys to develop.

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
Its not the tackles at all with me. To my untrained eye he got burnt a lot and our safeties had to make a lot of tackles, which to me means ALL of our LBs weren't making plays.

DesMoinesCy

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
Because the game of football has passed Wally Burnham by.
I agree 100%. I got hammered on the Iowa State boards when I suggested this last season, even though we had the worst defense in the Big XII in nearly every stat.

It is time for Wally to retire after this season. He is 73 years old. When he came to Iowa State in 2009, he was one of the best defensive coordinators in the college game, but the game has passed him by.