LB

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I'm not ready to jump off the bridge like most over this season. I think we'll bounce back next year after some coaching changes and hopefully much fewer injuries.

What does scare the crap out of me is the LB position. With the very obvious problem we've been having since Knott went out, I can't believe that the coaches apparently think that White or Seely are worse options than Miller. Heck, at this point, I'd rather see Peters out there. If these guys are not good enough to play this year, they are going to have to make one heck of a leap in the offseason.

As inconsistent as George has been, he is by far the leader of the group. Brackins and Knott are undersized. Where is the big nasty tackling machine coming from next year?

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
I'm not ready to jump off the bridge like most over this season. I think we'll bounce back next year after some coaching changes and hopefully much fewer injuries.

What does scare the crap out of me is the LB position. With the very obvious problem we've been having since Knott went out, I can't believe that the coaches apparently think that White or Seely are worse options than Miller. Heck, at this point, I'd rather see Peters out there. If these guys are not good enough to play this year, they are going to have to make one heck of a leap in the offseason.

As inconsistent as George has been, he is by far the leader of the group. Brackins and Knott are undersized. Where is the big nasty tackling machine coming from next year?

Hopefully this guy will be ready to get some PT:

Alton Meeks - Yahoo! Sports

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Hopefully this guy will be ready to get some PT:

Alton Meeks - Yahoo! Sports

I read someone on here talk about how Meeks is actually outgrowing the LB position possibly and could be moving to the DL somewhere. Any truth to this?

Anyway, I've been thinking for a while now that we need to look at a JUCO LB, but apparently Rhoads said they aren't going to do that. Last Monday on the call in show he said they were looking at a couple JUCO DL and a JUCO DB, but not LB. That has me puzzled.

For next year, we've got Knott and that's about it IMO. Brackens looks more like a safety to me, but the problem is he has trouble in coverage, so that's a big problem. And if Seeley and White were so good, you'd think they would be seeing the field more with our injuries.

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
White looked the part, late in the game yesterday.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
I read someone on here talk about how Meeks is actually outgrowing the LB position possibly and could be moving to the DL somewhere. Any truth to this?

Anyway, I've been thinking for a while now that we need to look at a JUCO LB, but apparently Rhoads said they aren't going to do that. Last Monday on the call in show he said they were looking at a couple JUCO DL and a JUCO DB, but not LB. That has me puzzled.

For next year, we've got Knott and that's about it IMO. Brackens looks more like a safety to me, but the problem is he has trouble in coverage, so that's a big problem. And if Seeley and White were so good, you'd think they would be seeing the field more with our injuries.

Just what we need another dlineman that is small.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
The whole front 7 is a concern to me going forward. Yesterday we started 5 seniors, 5 juniors and one freshman on defense. With the exception of Knott we have 6 freshman and sophomores who have played on the front 7 this year. Currently they have combined for 28 tackles total for the year. If we are to be competitive next year these guys will need to improve dramatically or some of the current redshirting freshmen will have to be great.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Losing is frustrating, but we are playing a ton of underclassmen. We are not OU or Texas, we can not win playing freshmen and sophomores. Hopefully, our program will benefit from this year starting next year. I think finally our talent and experience next year will be on par with the rest of the conference for a change.

I do, however, have the same concern about the linebacker position. It seems like we need more depth and talent at that position. I would think a couple JC linebackers are needed to increase the competition and depth at that position.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Just what we need another dlineman that is small.

I agree with you, but I'm just reporting what I thought someone said on here about a week or so ago regarding Meeks. He's been putting on weight and getting bigger than what they thought he would get. I could be wrong though.

But I do agree with you. At ISU, if you're 6'3" and 245 lbs, like Meeks is, that's too big for LB, so you turn him into an undersized DE. While at other schools, all you see is 6'3" 245 lb LBs. At ISU LB seems to be more like 6'1" and 215 lbs, and then you get pushed around all game long. Unless your name is Jake Knott or AJ Klein that is.

The only reason I could see moving Meeks is if they think he's lost the speed needed to play LB. Otherwise, who cares if he's got good size as long as he can move.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I agree with you, but I'm just reporting what I thought someone said on here about a week or so ago regarding Meeks. He's been putting on weight and getting bigger than what they thought he would get. I could be wrong though.

But I do agree with you. At ISU, if you're 6'3" and 245 lbs, like Meeks is, that's too big for LB, so you turn him into an undersized DE. While at other schools, all you see is 6'3" 245 lb LBs. At ISU LB seems to be more like 6'1" and 215 lbs, and then you get pushed around all game long. Unless your name is Jake Knott or AJ Klein that is.

The only reason I could see moving Meeks is if they think he's lost the speed needed to play LB. Otherwise, who cares if he's got good size as long as he can move.

Knott was listed as 6'3 252 lbs as a Senior and Klein was listed as 6'2 248 lbs.