LCD TV Help

cyhobby

Apr 14, 2006
Looking to purchase a new LCD TV in the 40-46 Inch range. Would appreciate some tips on what to look for, don't know much about MHZ #'s etc, or other things to look for. Also would appreciate opinions on some good brands and Model #'s to look for. Don't want to spend a ton of money, but also don't want to buy some cheap thing? Thanks!

ubuntuCAT

Oct 4, 2007
I have a 42" Insignia (Best Buy's exclusive brand) that I've been really happy with. Not top of the line but I don't care. 1080p, I got it for $500 and they come with a 2 yr warranty that includes IN HOME service if needed.

Last edited:

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I have a 42" Insignia (Best Buy's exclusive brand) that I've been really happy with. Not top of the line but I don't care. 1080p, I got it for $200 and they come with a 2 yr warranty that includes IN HOME service if needed.

$200? :skeptical:

I was all set to buy an LG until I went to the store. They had them sitting right next to the sony's (which were more expensive by the way). I came home with a sony. The LG's model looked surprisingly poor. At least that particular model anyway

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Just a FYI my Samsung plasma has a great picture (50inch, 720p) but it gets pretty hot, and in the summer, it can really heat up the room. Be aware of that if you are looking at TVs.
Also If a plasma is close to windows, you will get some glare back.
We have a Westinghouse LCD (32" 1080i) in the bedroom, probably had it for 4 years. It's been a very solid tv at an economical price point.

If you are looking at having this be a focal point of a home theater, don't let a couple hundred bucks stop you from getting a quality Samsung or Sony.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Looking to purchase a new LCD TV in the 40-46 Inch range. Would appreciate some tips on what to look for, don't know much about MHZ #'s etc, or other things to look for. Also would appreciate opinions on some good brands and Model #'s to look for. Don't want to spend a ton of money, but also don't want to buy some cheap thing? Thanks!

Really depends on what you want to spend. Look for the best value. I wouldn't buy anything less than 1080p and 120hz. If your budget is bigger you can go 240hz or LED. You can find good brand 42-46 inch 1080p and 120hz for $800+. I remember seeing a 46-inch Sharp Aquios 1080p and 120hz at Best Buy for between $800-$900, maybe a week or two ago. That's a really good value.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008

I'll let others help you with the brand, but do yourself a huge favor and go bigger. I think the No. 1 complaint I've heard from friends and other posters after they've bought a new LCD, especially if it's their first HD TV, is that they wish they would have gone bigger. I got a 52-inch Sony for just under $1,000 and I'm sure you could find one online where that price would include tax and shipping and handling. But even though that TV is more than big enough for my living room, I can't help but wonder what a 60-incher would look like in there. And now my 37-incher in my bedroom is looking mighty puny too.

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
I will let others comment, but do yourself a huge favor and consider a plasma. LCD, even with LED non-edge lighting, is an inferior technology to plasma. Unless you are in a bright room, concerned about heat (not a big issue), or power usage (also not that big of deal anymore), get plasma. Also, anyone who mentions burn-in has not looked at a plasma since 2004-05. Doesn't matter anymore, unless you put the espn logo dead center for 100+ consecutive hours.

Once you look at plasma, go panasonic first, and samsung second. In my experience, (haven't looked at this year's models) LG's a cheaply made and lack quality processing. A $1200 Panasonic plasma will blow out a $2000 Sony LCD (except in the instances listed above).

This may sound pompous, but do some independent research and you will likely agree. Note I said likely.

LittleStu79

Aug 5, 2009
Consumer Reports

www.consumersreport.org. 46-47 inch models: Recommended. Samsung UN46B7000 Rating 77. Samsung LN46C630 Rating 74. Toshiba REGZA 46SV67OU Rating 72. Samsung UN46C7000 Rating 72. LG47LD450 Rating 72. Sony is not checked for the CU Most Recommended but the Bravia KDL46XBR10 is rated a 77 at the top with the Samsung.

40-42 inch models: Recommended Hitachi Ultra Vision L42S502 is rated a 73. Toshiba REGZA Cinema Series 40XV645U is rated 71 and Sony Bravia 40EX500 is rated a 71. These are not checked as the CU Most Recommended by the Samsung UN40B7000 at rated a 75. Samsung LN40B650 is rated 74 and Samsung LN50B750 is rated 73.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Amazingly, I have found that LG makes a pretty good TV.

Amazon.com: LG 47LD520 47-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV: Televisions & Video

You could probably go to Traviss Audio/Video as well and learn about the LG model as I believe they sell it very well. I have the 32" version of this and it works great!

This. I've got a 47" and a 55" LG from Traviss and I love them. At least go and talk to them. They have been selling TVs for a long time and there's a reason they push LG.

2009FA1

May 27, 2010
What is the price range you're lookin at? TVs in the size can go from 500-1200. If you have a blu-Ray, get 1080p, if that's not an issue, easy to go cheaper with 720p. I just got a 1080p 37" Panasonic Viera for $650. Great picture, only 2" thick, plenty of inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I will let others comment, but do yourself a huge favor and consider a plasma. LCD, even with LED non-edge lighting, is an inferior technology to plasma. Unless you are in a bright room, concerned about heat (not a big issue), or power usage (also not that big of deal anymore), get plasma. Also, anyone who mentions burn-in has not looked at a plasma since 2004-05. Doesn't matter anymore, unless you put the espn logo dead center for 100+ consecutive hours.

Once you look at plasma, go panasonic first, and samsung second. In my experience, (haven't looked at this year's models) LG's a cheaply made and lack quality processing. A $1200 Panasonic plasma will blow out a $2000 Sony LCD (except in the instances listed above).

This may sound pompous, but do some independent research and you will likely agree. Note I said likely.

I did a lot of research and came to exactly the opposite conclusion. Plasma is a dying technology. I'm not going to get into the reasons why it's dying, but it is. Fewer manufacturers are making plasma units and the ones who are still making them are making fewer.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I did a lot of research and came to exactly the opposite conclusion. Plasma is a dying technology. I'm not going to get into the reasons why it's dying, but it is. Fewer manufacturers are making plasma units and the ones who are still making them are making fewer.

The reason you are seeing fewer and fewer of these things made is because the technology has matured and as such, prices have fallen and the margins aren't that great. These companies are in the business to make money first and foremost, not necessarily to get you the best bang for your buck. As such, you don't see many plasmas on the shelf anymore.

Any plasma you find on the shelf today will provide you as good or better colors and black levels, and a faster refresh rate than even the most top of the line 240Hz LED LCD. It will also look fantastic from every angle, where an LCD fades if you are sitting off center. And it will do all this at a fraction of the cost of a similar LCD. All these new LCD bells and whistles they keep coming out with and charging an arm and a leg for still haven't caught up to the abilities a plasma had years and years ago.

The disadvantages of the plasma such as heat, power consumption, and image burn in have been resolved over the last few years, and are now on par with an LCD. Keep in mind, an LCD will also burn out after a time and while it doesn't have burn in so to say, you can have a similar problem known as "image retention".

The only issue that plasma really falls down on is screen glare. If you have a lot of natural light in the room that you can't block out, this could cause you some issues. But if this thing is going in your man cave in the basement, plasma all the way.

If you decide plasma is the right thing for you, Panasonic and look no further. For LCD I would look at Samsung and Sony. I used to hear lots of good things about Sharp Aquos (stay away from the cheap Sharp line), but it sounds like Sharp build quality has fallen off the last couple years.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

QFT

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

This is the same argument that you used in another post. All technology is dying. LCD is being replaced by LCD/LED, which is being replaced by OLED, which will be replaced by some 3D technology, and so on.

If you want the best picture today then you'll go with plasma.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I have an older HP 720p 37inch LCD and love it. I think basically it is a Sharp unit. But my parents got a 50 inch 720p Panasonic plasma and it blows my tv out of the water. Not just size but pic quality, blacks, everything. The plasma just pops out.
If you are in VERY brightly lit room, LCD might be the way to got. But for your money the plasma will get you the bigger screen and excellent picture. A Panny or Samsung 50 can be bought for $800 or so pretty easily.
Assuming price on LEDs don't drop in the next 6-12 months, I will buy a 50 inch plasma for our new house.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I probably have the same 50" plasma that your parents have. I've had it about a year and have no regrets. If a baseball hit it today I'd go get another one tomorrow and not bat an eye. The newer tecnologies are overpriced and frankly, still a work in progress.

Help Support Us

Become a patron