Lead story on ESPN, 2015 CFB Uni Watch

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
Couldn't agree more, having that big of an article on ESPN is a sign. If we were teams like Michigan, USC, Penn State, etc. I would get it. But we are a team with barely any sort of tradition. Mix it up a little!

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
These uniforms get out of control stupid sometimes. Yes, sometimes they're cool, and I have no doubt that it may indirectly affect perceptions of young people which may include recruits.

But who freaking cares. Play football.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Funny that the reference is to Paul Lukas and Uni Watch.

Maybe the biggest champion of the clean, classic look out there.

Some selected quotes on the ISU identity from that site...

"All in all, not a bad makeover, but it could’ve been a lot better without the red-on-red helmet."

Something many of us share on the board--good attempt, almost there, but too much red.

Iowa State looked sharp, per usual, and the game had a fantastic contrast between the teams.

There was also that awesome Iowa State throwback game yesterday. Most really “old time” throwbacks don’t look great (due to jersey cuts, modern helmets, etc.), but ISU looked great in their Jack Trice-era duds.

Oklahoma State vs. Iowa State: I love Iowa State in two bright colors going up against a team in black pants. OSU looked clean and neat and I like to reward the proper use of orange.

---

That's the last place you should be looking for evidence we should go full paintball with our uniforms.

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
These uniforms get out of control stupid sometimes. Yes, sometimes they're cool, and I have no doubt that it may indirectly affect perceptions of young people which may include recruits.

But who freaking cares. Play football.

Apparently enough people care that ESPN makes it their lead story. That's my point.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
I know, like we need another uniform thread. Some people still argue that uniforms don't matter in recruiting and we don't want the types of kids who are swayed by cool uniforms.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13513118/2015-uni-watch-college-football-preview

Yep, nobody worth our time cares about uniforms. Keep telling yourself that..... sigh

Now let the arguing continue...

Wanting alternates etc and proving they help recruiting are two different things. You guys all want them and you try to claim it will help recruiting.

There is no problem with wanting them but quit acting like not having them sets isu back. There is zero proof of that and anecdotal evidence doesn't support it either.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I love our current uniforms, I just wish we had a better option on the helmet/logo. I wish we would wear the yellow bottoms more often on the road, too, like at Texas last season.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Christmas!

Man, I do not like the oversized logos on the helmets (see new alternates for KU and white/chrome Pistol Pete's at OSU.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
The problem is, no matter what our uniforms look like, the fact that we aren't good always seem to land us on the worst uni thread for some reason or another. Until the product on the field changes it won't matter. FWIW Baylor didn't start to go crazy until they were good enough to not get laughed out of the stadium.

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
Wanting alternates etc and proving they help recruiting are two different things. You guys all want them and you try to claim it will help recruiting.

There is no problem with wanting them but quit acting like not having them sets isu back. There is zero proof of that and anecdotal evidence doesn't support it either.

Sorry, but you are wrong about this.

Definition of "In Denial" - a refusal or unwillingness to accept something or to accept reality.

When players have been quoted as saying that they like to have cool, unique uniforms, and coaches have said that recruits really like their uniforms. I'd say that's more than anecdotal evidence and even if it is, it supports the argument. What more facts do you need? Is a direct quote not enough? How many quotes do you need? How many videos do you need to see of players rolling in the aisles of their meeting room when new uniforms are introduced? They love that stuff. Athletic departments spend marketing dollars to create videos unveiling new uniforms. They hold press conferences, post them on social media. Do you think all of those people have it wrong?

There seems to be plenty of evidence that contradicts your opinion. I'm really confused by people who still think recruits don't care. These are kids. They like cool ****, period. Is it the single most important factor, no or even in the top 5 factors? Maybe not. Nobody is saying that. But let's assume there is a pro and con check list that a recruit makes. I'd prefer to check the box rather than not check it. I do think that the uniforms get a check box, that's really all I'm saying.

CyRann22

May 12, 2015
Omaha
The problem is, no matter what our uniforms look like, the fact that we aren't good always seem to land us on the worst uni thread for some reason or another. Until the product on the field changes it won't matter. FWIW Baylor didn't start to go crazy until they were good enough to not get laughed out of the stadium.

As a fan, I have an automatic appreciation for our uniform/colors. Hell, I even enjoy the all yellow... but I think if you asked any unbiased person who simply had to choose if Iowa State's uniform is good or bad they would choose bad.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Illinois is adding navy to its roster of home-jersey color options:

You know how far this has all gone when they have to make note of a school adding one of their primary colors as a new home-jersey option.

ISUalum2012

Mar 24, 2014
Funny that the reference is to Paul Lukas and Uni Watch.

That's the last place you should be looking for evidence we should go full paintball with our uniforms.

Nobody wants to go full "paintball." Most people on this forum don't even want to go full Baylor/Oregon. Speaking for the masses, we just want another helmet or 2 (read a white and gold option) and maybe a special "throw-back" uniform option once per year.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
As a fan, I have an automatic appreciation for our uniform/colors. Hell, I even enjoy the all yellow... but I think if you asked any unbiased person who simply had to choose if Iowa State's uniform is good or bad they would choose bad.

So then the unbiased opinion would also USC's Unis are bad as well, but yet they are always located at the top of cool uni lists

CycloneRoss

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2010
attachment.php

Above is our best look, IMO. Simple and clean and I love the white numbers and font. And I'm also in the camp that thinks the effect of new and flashy uniforms on recruitment is overrated. Just look at last year's Big Ten recruiting rankings, for instance:

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=Big-Ten

Purdue, Minnesota, Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern, Maryland, and Illinois all have alternate uniforms and they still rank in the bottom half of the league in recruiting. No amount of new uniforms and gear is going to make a recruit from Texas pick us over any of the Texas or Oklahoma schools. Tradition, winning, and coaching will win out.

Attachments

• oldisu.jpg
    oldisu.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0013 (3).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 370

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
So then the unbiased opinion would also USC's Unis are bad as well, but yet they are always located at the top of cool uni lists

attachment.php

Above is our best look, IMO. Simple and clean and I love the white numbers and font. And I'm also in the camp that thinks the effect of new and flashy uniforms on recruitment is overrated. Just look at last year's Big Ten recruiting rankings, for instance:

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=Big-Ten

Purdue, Minnesota, Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern, Maryland, and Illinois all have alternate uniforms and they still rank in the bottom half of the league in recruiting. No amount of new uniforms and gear is going to make a recruit from Texas pick us over any of the Texas or Oklahoma schools. Tradition, winning, and coaching will win out.

Completely agree with the last part. No recruit has said he chose a college for the unforms. 90% say it was due to relationships with coaches and the rest say playing time or local or something similar. Liking the uniforms changes is silimilar to liking other minor things. You like it but it doesn't make your decision.

I can't agree on the best uniforms though. Best is always simple. Stick with two colors and don't add white to home uniforms. I also do not like yellow helmets at all. There is a reason teams with yellow rarely choose that as a helmet color. ( ugly LSU is the exception?

Last edited: