Leaves of Green

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
By this time of year, I have usually filled 25 to 30 bags of leaves. To date, I've filled five. There's probably enough leaves in the yard right now to fill one more.

What's with the leaves not falling this year? Most of the leaves in the trees are still green. The majority of the trees in the neighborhood are the same way. On the plus side, I have been enjoyed watching the Clones instead of listening to them on the radio for a change. But if we get a wet snow before these leaves fall, these tree limbs are going to snap off.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We didn’t get a real frost in DSM until last night and they are falling hard today. That cloud cover was nice the last two weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: urb1

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I pray for the southerly winds each fall. Neighbor as a huge ash tree in the front yard and a huge red maple in the back yard. South wind did a pretty good job with the ash tree this fall.

Stupid neighbor just breaks out is mower on the lowest setting and mulches them all. Hard to tell if his front yard is brown from all the mulch or from the dirt due to lack of grass.

I just finished mulching and bagging my yard had about 8 bags and threw it on my garden and tilled it.

Reactions: aauummm

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I have them all over my yard. I've raked them in the past, but I'm just going to mow over them since I'm lazy. Plus apparently it's good for the lawn

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
I am hoping for a North wind, but if my Ash and Red Maple do fall in my yard, instead of my neighbor's, I will just drop the mower real low and mulch them up. My selfish neighbor won't let me put them in his garden so that is the next best thing.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Mulching is the way to go if your mower does a good job. It's not good to just leave the leaves on the yard obviously.

Trees will hold their leaves longer if they get good moisture through the Summer and Fall. Some trees hold out much longer than others. My cottonwoods in the back start dropping some mid summer. Lots of Maples are dropping after the hard freeze last night. Whatever kind of tree that is in my front yard hasn't even turned yet.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Our maples are almost done. I think we're up to 30 paper bags by now. We've tried to mulch them in the past but we end up with 2-3 inches thick of leaves drop in what seems like one day and the mower just can't handle it.

I'm going to try to lay an inch or two of compost down this spring to try and make up for the nutrient loss.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Bathroom contractors have been here off and on for the last few weeks. They ask "So, do you do anything other than fall leaf and yard work?" Me, "Nope, not much else."

Stopped counting at 50 bags. Been stretched out because the leaves have been falling for like three weeks and still not done. Maple, oak and ginko are finally mostly done but the magnolia and crabapple still haven't dumped. Guessing half my leaves are oak. I don't have an oak on my property but neighbors have like a forest of them.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
5 houses ago, in Wisconsin, we had some younger Pin Oaks that would hold there leaves through the winter. Just didn't seem right raking leaves in the spring...

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Meh. It's a lost cause...fourteen years ago we bought a house situated in the middle of three acres of woods...oak, ash, linden, maple, locust, shagbark. MAYBE 2-3 evergreens. Don't rake much, don't bag much. Resistance is futile.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I pray for the southerly winds each fall. Neighbor as a huge ash tree in the front yard and a huge red maple in the back yard. South wind did a pretty good job with the ash tree this fall.

Stupid neighbor just breaks out is mower on the lowest setting and mulches them all. Hard to tell if his front yard is brown from all the mulch or from the dirt due to lack of grass.

I just finished mulching and bagging my yard had about 8 bags and threw it on my garden and tilled it.

I am hoping for a North wind, but if my Ash and Red Maple do fall in my yard, instead of my neighbor's, I will just drop the mower real low and mulch them up. My selfish neighbor won't let me put them in his garden so that is the next best thing.

I'm in the northern winds camp. Southern winds brings them into the yard. Northern blows them into the street behind my back fence, never to be seen again (by me!).

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

Hope your neighbor isn't the type to throw a crushing blindside tackle...

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Hope your neighbor isn't the type to throw a crushing blindside tackle...

Actual footage of Rand Paul & Neighbor . . .

bob_gif_large.gif

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
By this time of year, I have usually filled 25 to 30 bags of leaves. To date, I've filled five. There's probably enough leaves in the yard right now to fill one more.

What's with the leaves not falling this year? Most of the leaves in the trees are still green. The majority of the trees in the neighborhood are the same way. On the plus side, I have been enjoyed watching the Clones instead of listening to them on the radio for a change. But if we get a wet snow before these leaves fall, these tree limbs are going to snap off.
This tweet made me laugh because it seemed every tree on campus this past weekend looked just like this. It was like overnight they took off their summer clothes to join the polar bear club.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have two maples on opposite ends of the back yard. I always just take the leaf blower and scatter them around the rest of the yard, then mulch. It has worked well in years past.

Unfortunately, I have 2 other trees that hang onto their leafs almost into December. I'm lucky if I can get to those before the snow flies.