Votes: 20 11.2%

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • Not top 5

Votes: 37 20.8%

• Total voters

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I hate the 'if he played in another era' argument but, if Bird had the offensive freedom that today's shooters are allowed, he would be Steph Curry today. But more accurate and more well-rounded.
Any athletic 3 or 4 in today's NBA could guard Bird.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Last edited:

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
There were several in his day. It didn't matter. The circus shots he made were Curry-esque, and he was well-guarded on a lot of them. Put Bird in today's NBA he's a taller Curry, better Curry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVSI1_eVuhs
Bird may have made some crazy shots. But he missed plenty too. His FG% for his career was 49.6% which would rank him 107th this season in the NBA. His 3PT% was 37.6%, which would rank 110th, in between Meyers Leonard and Damion Lillard. But hey, he can shoot like Steph Curry.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Bird may have made some crazy shots. But he missed plenty too. His FG% for his career was 49.6% which would rank him 107th this season in the NBA. His 3PT% was 37.6%, which would rank 110th, in between Meyers Leonard and Damion Lillard. But hey, he can shoot like Steph Curry.

He played in a much tougher defensive era. In fact his FG% compared to today's NBA proves my point. Scoring is so much easier in today's NBA, everyone shoots at a higher clip. It's hard to compare eras.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
He played in a much tougher defensive era. In fact his FG% compared to today's NBA proves my point. Scoring is so much easier in today's NBA, everyone shoots at a higher clip. It's hard to compare eras.
You can say that all you want but it doesn't make it true.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9117632/was-jordan-era-really-more-physical-nba
But overall, in fact, scoring was much easier for most of the 1990s, including Jordan's heyday. (And it was even easier in the 1980s.) Not only was the game played faster, a clear sign that there was relatively little resistance as players went up and down the court and to the basket, but teams also scored a lot more per possession. For instance, in 1992-93, known for a rough-and-tumble series between the Knicks and the Bulls, scoring was at 108.0 points per 100 possessions. This year, it's down to 105.8, which is actually an increase from last season.

Think about that -- when the team had the ball in the 1990s, it scored more than it does now.

That's despite the following: Offensive strategy has evolved in the mathematically correct direction, which is to shoot more 3s and space the floor better. Of course, that's in part because players are more afraid to enter the lane -- watch a Clippers game for the number of times Chris Paul shies away from going to the rim because he knows he'll get hit. He has admitted as much, despite being one of the toughest, most physical point guards we've ever seen.

But defenses are so fast, physical and prepared that, even with much improved outside shooting in the game these days (the 3-point percentage across the league is 35.9, as opposed to 32.0 percent in Jordan's first championship season), scoring is down.

Last edited:

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Any athletic 3 or 4 in today's NBA could guard Bird.

just like any athletic 4 or 5 could stop niang this year. Oh wait, nope.

Problem with these arguments, people cant say for example Shaq was amazing without wilt fans taking it as meaning that Wilt wasnt amazing. If you cant admit that Larry Bird was a once in a lifetime basketball player, you are just stupid. Same thing goes for James.

Its hard to compare players from different eras, if you cant accept that Shaq would eat wilt for breakfast, you are just delusional, that doesnt mean wilt wasnt amazing during his time. Jerry West is an all time laker, kobe would murder him in every way. That doesnt take away from West. The game evolves and changes. I think everyone here would agree that football players from the 60's would probably die getting hit by Ray Lewis, that doesnt mean they sucked. Just diff eras.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I think most peoples opinions on past basketball players have to do with hype, shoe contracts, endorsements etc. Take jordan for example. There is probably 75% of the population that knows he is the greatest ever. When asked why, they dont know, they just know it's true. Larry Bird was before (and during) the nike hype train of jordan therefore, he sucks.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
#1...narcissist. After watching the game 7 postgame...did he even have teammates, a coach or a GM that helped him win that title? Not even a mention of Irving's game winner from James...which subsequently won the series for the Cavs. "I did it, against all odds." Good grief.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
#1...narcissist. After watching the game 7 postgame...did he even have teammates, a coach or a GM that helped him win that title? Not even a mention of Irving's game winner from James...which subsequently won the series for the Cavs. "I did it, against all odds." Good grief.

ever listen to Michael jordans hof speach? Or really, even hear him speak ever?

Stumbles

Feb 17, 2012
Cleveland Heights, OH

Yes, and I don't remeber him saying "I" did it against all ods.

Lebron is the best player on the Cavs and the best player in the league. He teammates know this. His teammates also know that he bears much more of the burden of wining a Championship for Cleveland than anyone else, by far, given that he is the just "another kid from Akron" and given the "Decision". Lebron is a great teammate and was a great leader for the team in the post season. He knows its a team sport. However, this was personal for him. He wasn't bawling on the floor simply because he won another ring, he already had two. It was his mission to do what ever it takes to deliver this championship to the city. You could see that in the dunk attempt he missed at the end of the game. He wanted that dunk more than he wanted any in his career. You could feel it.

My guess is you were a Lebron hater before, and nothing he does will change it.

Stumbles

Feb 17, 2012
Cleveland Heights, OH
Going downtown for the parade. There's already thousands waiting. Expecting 1 million plus to line the parade route. I bet the line at the rapid station at Green and Shaker is a mile long and its at the end of its line.