Let’s talk point guards

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Oh, they do believe it. Had lunch with a few the other day, very complimentary of Billiew but thought Sandfort a better fit for their system and will be around for 4 or 5 years. Overall bigger and better impact. I think theres an argument there about the years thing.

Of course, lol.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
They were certainly high on his ability.
It’s an untold story, mostly because we never saw him this season and don’t know what we are missing.

This team would be so freaking good if they had him. It would sure up a lot of short comings. And would have made it easier to rest grill and the other guards who I worry are wearing down.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
As much as I like Lipsey, the man has to be able to shoot the ball. Having a PG that is no theat to shoot outside the lane hurts this team offensively.

Reactions: Cyclones8824

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I didn’t even read all of this. No I’m not not a hawk fan. I’m seriously wondering who our pg for the future is lol. I get Tamin is a freshman… but there’s zero offense. Honestly I personally think Watson and Eli king will not be a cyclone next year ‍♂️
Watson is gonna be a beast in two years.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Hunter/lipsey combo would have been lethal. Hunter would have won us tech and k state period.
Have you watched Texas play? When it’s been closing time most games Rice is in and Hunter is on the bench.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Oh, they do believe it. Had lunch with a few the other day, very complimentary of Billiew but thought Sandfort a better fit for their system and will be around for 4 or 5 years. Overall bigger and better impact. I think theres an argument there about the years thing.
If Sandfort is actually any good, there is no doubt he'll end up being a better college player than Biliew 5 years from now. He'll make hay in Frans all offense no defense system. But Sandfort is highly unlikely to have an NBA career at all, let alone like Biliew. Both schools know what they're signing up for. The fact that Sandfort grew up a Hawkeye fan and has a brother on the team has a lot more to do with how they landed him than any reason that led to TJ successfully recruiting Biliew

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
It’s honestly a good question. I’m not bashing him. I just think theirs better options. He plays hard. Defends great. But he has mental lapses and has zero offense. When a defensive player doesn’t have to guard him at the perimeter and can shadow someone else thats not a good situation to be in on offense.
You are bashing him though. He’s the best freshman PG in the best conference in America. Sure he’s had a bad stretch with turnovers, but the kid is stuffing the stat sheet every game. Yesterday he had 4 steals, 7 rebounds, 6 assists and 9 points. He had a couple boneheaded plays, but he’s a freshman, playing in the best conference in America, against the #12 team in America who happens to be one of the oldest and most experienced team in the country.

I’m not saying he’s the next Monte or will even be as good as Monte, but Monte’s freshman year he averaged 6.8 points, 3.7 assists, 2.6 rebounds and 1.3 steals a game.

Tamin’s averaging 7.5 ppg , 3.7 rebounds a game, 4.8 assists, and 2 steals - all better than Monte. (But Deandre Kane!)

Monte’s soph year 11.9 ppg, 5.2 assists, 3.4 rebounds, 1.9 steals per game. Tamin’s freshman year stats (on a much less offensively talented squad than what Monte had) are better than Monte’s freshman year, and are more similar to Monte’s soph year, while playing 5 mins less per game than Monte played.

Tamin’s numbers are better than Haliburton’s numbers were as a freshman too, playing 4 mins less per game than TH played. Poor take, my guy.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
1. I think Kane was our point Morris’ freshman year. I don’t think he started until later in the year and then started with Kane.

2. Lipsey A/TO ratio would be a lot better if team shot better overall.

3. As an elderly heterosexual woman, I find it odd that I am the first to suggest JLH is all that can save this thread. Maybe there are a plethora of Clooney gifs out there somewhere.

giphy.gif

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Williams and Lipsey should make for two pretty good ball handlers next year. Maybe we play them together some? Lipsey developing a shot from outside would be big. Don’t forget Williams was to be the starter beginning of the year prior to his injury.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022
If Sandfort is actually any good, there is no doubt he'll end up being a better college player than Biliew 5 years from now. He'll make hay in Frans all offense no defense system. But Sandfort is highly unlikely to have an NBA career at all, let alone like Biliew. Both schools know what they're signing up for. The fact that Sandfort grew up a Hawkeye fan and has a brother on the team has a lot more to do with how they landed him than any reason that led to TJ successfully recruiting Biliew
They say/spin anything to make themselves feel better. Now let’s compare the other recruits coming in, both ‘23 and ‘24…. LOL Poor Hoks.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I get that he's a freshman but he's making errors he wasn't making earlier in the year. It doesn't matter if you have a freshman or senior PG, you CAN'T have one that consistently turns it over 6 times a game. The foot slide was a basketball play, a TO that can happen to anyone but the rest were pretty bad. You can't keep throwing blatantly sloppy passes. It sucks because he is SO good at getting the lane and finishing. He plays good D and rebounds well. But he's costing us possessions AND many of his turnovers lead to transition buckets. It's a double whammy.

One encouraging sign was he did a GREAT job of laying off the boneheaded fouls, something that has plagued him in previous games. What some are missing is we aren't judging Lipsey by some overly high standard, and playing at a level he's not capable of. He is 100% capable of reducing his turnovers. It's a matter of focus and changing some bad habits. Teams know he is prone to throwing lazy passes and are baiting him into those decisions. He needs to adjust.

IMO I'd like to see more from Otz in terms of substitutions when guys are making tactical mistakes, especially when repetitive. Currently we are very scripted with what we do. We often utilize rotations at set intervals and rarely waiver from them, only altering when guys get in foul trouble. Allowing guys to play through their mistakes isn't working. When Lipsey throws a lazy pass pull him out. Talk to him, let it sink in, then put him back in the game. The idea is balancing accountability with confidence.

I think TJ is great with preparation and our guys obviously play/practice hard, but I think the 2nd half collapses speak to our staff inability to positively influence the players/game. Other teams adjust and our team repeatedly shows it's doesnt adjust in return. Losing 2nd half leads happens, but you you prove incapable time and time again of adjusting that falls on the coaches. When you watch us play we do little in the way of change from half to half, or adapt when the opponent makes changes. I think we need more in-game accountability and strategy. That goes for Lipsey and everyone else.