Liberty Bowl postgame thread

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
What was the problem with players in the Pro Bowl? Bad players? Weren’t mentally tough enough? No…didn’t matter. They got rid of the game, not the players.
If we have players that don’t even care about showing up enough, so that they don’t look like they don’t belong (OL) then we don’t need those players.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
You should apply for a job on this staff... because it appears you'd fit right on.
You could give Campbell's post game media recap after every Iowa game.
If you guys want to sit here and be bent out of a shape about the Liberty Bowl, go ahead. I’m going to hang out for a little while longer while I ride and then will go about my evening.

Reactions: Cyhig

Clones2023

Sep 16, 2023
All of our NIL money needs to go to basketball. Seriously. Do we really think we can compete in NIL in football? We had a freaking walk on starting on defense and overall looked very untalented against an AAC school. Let the football players get their NIL money from local business commercials. The real money needs to stay in men's basketball. That is where ISU will be successful.
Couldn’t agree more

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
If we have players that don’t even care about showing up enough, so that they don’t look like they don’t belong (OL) then we don’t need those players.
Is that what you feel? And are you going to go share your opinion with them?

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I'm personally not embarrassed for myself or anything but getting boat raced by a G5 school on ESPN is a pretty bad look.
I think the general college football fan has already forgotten about this mid level bowl game and they didn’t care at all about ISU losing to a G5 school. They’re now looking forward to the Cotton Bowl.

It’s really not as bad of a look as people think it is

Bob f

Nov 9, 2019
Iowa
Almost as embarrassing as the loss was CMC’s half time quote of them having an interim defensive coordinator so we couldn’t adequately prepare as we didn’t know what they would do. That’s a ******* pathetic excuse.

Yes, we’re a young team and there was growth this season, but it’s absolutely unacceptable for any Big 12 team to lose to G5 teams twice in a season.

I understand the excuse people say of - it doesn’t really matter, it’s basically an exhibition game. But recruits watch these games. Possible donors watch these games. Possible season ticket buyers watch these games. Position coaches make career decisions partially based on a program building them up or embarrassing them.

Our recruiting has not taken the step it needs to take and our lack of ability to get needed positions via the Portal only further hurts those things in the future. If you’re a recruit prospect and you’re looking at what team can compete for a conference title, be competitive every game, and develop you for the future, games like this can cause serious pause.

The sky isn’t falling, but there has been zero momentum built off of the Fiesta Bowl season and games like today when the eyes are on you start to create narratives for opposing recruiters.

Good post, and why a lot of people are upset. Conference realignment is all about perception. us getting owned by a G5 school isn't a way to attract recruits and donors and doesn't give the B12 any weight in a world where a handful of teams in the SEC/BIG want to kick out the bottom feeders and form their own league. when you lose to Ohio and Memphis, you don't help yourself in any of those conversations.
Is there more important things to worry about in the world? of course, but this is an ISU message board. so there is going to be over reaction.

You take care of business against Memphis and Ohio and you are a 9 win team and that is a much easier sell recruiting and with donors, etc.
Well said. Hate to say it, but this is a black eye. Still can't believe how bad our lines got dominated today. Have at least a little pride

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
"Losing to a G5" team is technically correct but disrespectable and not accurate the way it is brought up. We lost to Memphis, one of the top teams that happens to be in a G5 conference.
And a team that was considered for big 12 expansion

Reactions: NENick

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
What was the problem with players in the Pro Bowl? Bad players? Weren’t mentally tough enough? No…didn’t matter. They got rid of the game, not the players.
The Pro Bowl doesn’t have any recruit/transfer implications for one. Recruits see games these and it could/will be a factor on where they want to go play.

Reactions: quasistellar

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Got our butts kicked, big time, start to finish.
Hope this grinds on everyone and we start the season off well.
I'm not gonna melt down about this game though.
Me either. It’s still a successful season. I’m growing tired of the 3 man front. You can rush 3 when you have Will McDonald. We do not have a will McDonald anymore. A 3rd and 8 with a quarter to go and we really needed a stop we rushed 3 again, and got burned again. That sucked.

Reactions: riceville98

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
"Losing to a G5" team is technically correct but disrespectable and not accurate the way it is brought up. We lost to Memphis, one of the top teams that happens to be in a G5 conference.
agree that memphis is actually a really good team, but again, in the fragile CFBALL world we live in, its a bad loss for ISU. Life goes on, but ISU has to figure out how to wake up against these schools. its like ISU doesn't play the favorite well or something.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and tzjung

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
No because I’m not an A-hole. I can however voice my frustrations with the AD within my means.
That’s fine I guess- better than the alternative. I really encourage you and others to read the Dabo Swinney article on ESPN about fans and unhinged expectations though. There’s something to be said for having realistic expectations and appropriate responses to losses.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021
Probably an unpopular take in this thread, but I really wouldn’t object to the players going into this game just wanting to have fun…like a little vacation. Winning a bowl game like this obviously wouldn’t be bad, but it’s hard to convince me it really matters.
"I Tried" ribbons gift bags all around!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron