Liberty Bowl with Kids?

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
I always enjoyed going to the Rodeo if you head down early. It's on Tuesday the 26th at 7 p.m.

Reactions: shadow

CycloneEggie

Oct 28, 2011
Science museum as well. (Which might be called city museum now?)

Chase park plaza hotel and Hilton Union Station are cool hotels and union station will have the Polar express light show every hour right now.
The Science Museum and City Museum are different but both good for kids. City Museum and Arch are downtown. Science Museum and Zoo are further west and next to each other and free admittance but not free to park so if you can find street parking and walk they are free. Magic House is another kid friendly place in St. Louis.

Mark Twain Cave in Hannibal is fun for kids too.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Science museum as well. (Which might be called city museum now?)

Chase park plaza hotel and Hilton Union Station are cool hotels and union station will have the Polar express light show every hour right now.

City museum is like the largest playground/jungle gym in the world, “museum” is misleading.

My nephews are in college now and still always talk about when I took them there as kids. It’s an 8 year old’s dream place.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Good info so far. I think we're going to stay a night in St Louis and then come back thru Springfield, MO (stop at new Bass Pro Shop Aquarium and Museum - https://wondersofwildlife.org/) and KC.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
We have been to Memphis with our kids of a variety of ages.

The kid that loves his guitar had to go to the Fender store.

All of them learned a lot at the Lorraine Motel and National Civil Rights Museum.

They all love bbq, Commissary was their favorite.

We took them to their first NBA game there.

One of the older boys who was an ISU student at the time and in various university band groups had to go to parade and various pep rallies for his friends in the varsity marching band.

Will echo suggestions of Arch, zoo, and city museum in St. Louis. Some of my kids interested in architecture enjoyed the Basilica in St. Louis.

My younger ones were in elementary when we went. I have a 10 year spread between oldest and youngest of five boys.

The Lorraine Motel and National Civil Rights Museum is a must! Somber...but very educational!

StLCyclone

Apr 28, 2010
The Science Museum and City Museum are different but both good for kids. City Museum and Arch are downtown. Science Museum and Zoo are further west and next to each other and free admittance but not free to park so if you can find street parking and walk they are free. Magic House is another kid friendly place in St. Louis.

Mark Twain Cave in Hannibal is fun for kids too.
City Museum is great for kids. Its a huge, one-of-a-kind playground.
Zoo is great too. Free admission, has a some option pay upgrades.
Science Center has interactive displays and is free with optional paid upgrades.

Reactions: shadow and ScottyP

TigerFan17

Dec 5, 2017
FYI, I believe all bars are 21 and over. So you can’t take kids in to listen to music and grab a meal.
BB Kings and Blue City on Beale allow kids. My husband (who’s on a local BBQ Team) says Blues City has some of the best ribs in the city, and great food in general.

• Informative
Reactions: shadow and BCClone

BearcatsUc

Sep 9, 2021
Cincinnati
I'd go through St. Louis.

Not on the way, but as an 8 year old 35 years ago, I thought that Graceland was the most amazing home I'd ever seen. Probably not as impressive to kids these days and definitely wasn't impressive when I was 35.
Graceland may have been impressive back in the day, but now it’s nothing more than a very-dated, run-of-the-mill, expensive tourist trap, surrounded by middle-class homes in a very unimpressive part of town.

Don’t know how much the kid liked it, but we didn’t go for him. Scratched that off my bucket list.

Ask the locals where to go for bbq snd fried chicken, and stay away from the touristy spots.

I found the most kid-friendly part about Memphis was The Liberty Bowl itself.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Graceland may have been impressive back in the day, but now it’s nothing more than a very-dated, run-of-the-mill, expensive tourist trap, surrounded by middle-class homes in a very unimpressive part of town.

Don’t know how much the kid liked it, but we didn’t go for him. Scratched that off my bucket list.

Ask the locals where to go for bbq snd fried chicken, and stay away from the touristy spots.

I found the most kid-friendly part about Memphis was The Liberty Bowl itself.
Elvis Presley's Memphis at Graceland just opened in 2017, hard to believe it'd be dated already by now. The Graceland mansion itself may be dated, sure, but they've tried to keep it essentially the same since he died.

https://www.graceland.com/epm

It's a pretty big complex that I wish had been there when I went to the bowl game there in 2012. We visited Graceland back then and there wasn't much to it other than the mansion and the planes. I do agree that the area is not that great.