License plate cover conspiracy

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
I got a ticket last night driving home because my licence plate cover over my back plate is illegal. I've had it on two seperate cars for the last 6 years and have got pulled over a few times for other violations, but have never been told this. The county and registration sticker is about half covered, but you can still see it. Needless to say, It's an Iowa State cover, so I'm guessing the trooper is not a fan. I'm going to court to see if I can get it dropped because it should have been a fix-it warning instead of a 63 dollar ticket. So much for watching my speed.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I'm just waiting for the first time a Maryland State Trooper gets behind me and notices mine covering things up...

I put the Stickers on so they aren't covered by it, but it's not a Terapin or Redskins cover so it's bound to cause trouble down the road...

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
you should have bribed him/her with a jelly donut, that usually works to get out of a ticket. If you just throw the donut on the ground they are like a dog going after a ball. Then you just peel out of there.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Lemme guess......State Trooper?

Usually city cops don't give a rip about stupid stuff like that. If it was indeed a State Trooper, you're lucky you didn't have even a small hint of window tint, because he would have ticketed you for that too. And no front plate.....the STUPIDEST law of them all.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007

Usually city cops don't give a rip about stupid stuff like that. If it was indeed a State Trooper, you're lucky you didn't have even a small hint of window tint, because he would have ticketed you for that too. And no front plate.....the STUPIDEST law of them all.

No, but city cops do use it as an excuse to pull you over, especially in Marion... :wideeyed:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

The windows on my car are sooooo illegal, I still cannot believe I have had them for 8 years and have not been pulled over yet.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines

It was a trooper, and the ironic thing about it was he originally pulled me over because my tag wasn't current. The registration was, I just hadn't put the tag on yet. Funny how he could see it good enough to pull me over.

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
The windows on my car are sooooo illegal, I still cannot believe I have had them for 8 years and have not been pulled over yet.

You'll be ok in Ankeny...I had to remove mine in Ankeny after I got pulled over for doing 55 in a 35. The officer pretty much gave me a choice of speeding ticket or removing the tint. I accepted removing the tint. I had driven around Ankeny for 3 years with the dark tint before that.

Nov 9, 2008
In Iowa it is a no no to have your county and tag even partially covered with a frame....its a law most dont know about and why would you as plenty of car dealerships will have frames on the car when you buy them that are against the law due to covering up that information. Its prety tacky to call someone on/pull someone over if thats their only driving offense thats for sure.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I got pulled over once for the same thing. Funny thing was is I was just leaving a bar and had literally one drink the whole night and the cop kept telling me I was wasted. He made me take the full sobriety test and the whole time his partner kept telling him it was a waste of time and I was perfectly sober. After breezing through the test the guy says, 'well i just got this new breathalizer and want to try it out' and the other cop looks really annoyed like it's a waste of time. So I have to do the breathalizer and it is literall flickering back and forth between 0.00 and 0.01...

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA
It was a trooper, and the ironic thing about it was he originally pulled me over because my tag wasn't current. The registration was, I just hadn't put the tag on yet. Funny how he could see it good enough to pull me over.

Then he had a legitimate reason for pulling you over in the first place. Giving you a ticket for the cover is a d-bag move to get something out of stopping you. He should've made you put the sticker on right there and sent you on your way.

Troopers don't like the out of date stickers. I got pulled over once for that. Funny thing is I had put my sticker on the plate, but it had fallen off. The trooper didn't believe me. He gave me a ticket, which I got dismissed after I got a new sticker.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Then he had a legitimate reason for pulling you over in the first place. Giving you a ticket for the cover is a d-bag move to get something out of stopping you. He should've made you put the sticker on right there and sent you on your way.

Troopers don't like the out of date stickers. I got pulled over once for that. Funny thing is I had put my sticker on the plate, but it had fallen off. The trooper didn't believe me. He gave me a ticket, which I got dismissed after I got a new sticker.

Not that I doubt you, but how did THAT happen? It usually takes a razor blade an disintegration of the old sticker just to get it off...

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA
Not that I doubt you, but how did THAT happen? It usually takes a razor blade an disintegration of the old sticker just to get it off...

I got a bad sticker. Seriously. When I got a replacement sticker, the woman said they must have gotten a bad batch because a bunch of people had the same thing happen. You're right that doesn't usually happen. I had a fun conversation with the trooper:

Trooper: What happened to your registration sticker?
Me: Isn't it on the license plate?
Trooper: No.
Me: Uh, I put it on. It must've fallen off.
Trooper: That doesn't happen. Those don't just fall off.
Me: It did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wesley

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
I had a trooper pull me over one night because snow was covering the sticker. How in the hell can they do that? I didnt get a ticket but he sure wanted to give me one. He searched my truck for 20 minutes. I had a keg tapper and a shotgun in the truck. Both not illegal but he gave me some kind of lecture like he was my dad. Really torqued me off.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
Same thing happened to me about 2 years ago with an ISU plate cover coupled with a speeding ticket. I paid both tickets but did not remove the cover. Haven't had any problem since.

It happened around Lake Delhi which is Iowa biased. Never thought it could be Hawkeye motivated but suppose it could be. I was speeding however, but the officer could have tacked it on I suppose due to being a Hawk fan.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Same thing happened to me about 2 years ago with an ISU plate cover coupled with a speeding ticket. I paid both tickets but did not remove the cover. Haven't had any problem since.

It happened around Lake Delhi which is Iowa biased. Never thought it could be Hawkeye motivated but suppose it could be. I was speeding however, but the officer could have tacked it on I suppose due to being a Hawk fan.

Remember the name of the officer?

Reactions: NobodyBeatsCy

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
Everyone talking about stickers--please tell me that you "stack" your stickers on top of each other every year. I know it's none of my business, but I get annoyed when I look at the car in front of me and see 15 stickers around the border of a license plate.

Reactions: Me State