Lincoln coach to face possible charges for yelling

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
For all you officiating experts commenting on here, here is the link to sign up. We need good officials to register and there seems to be a lot on here.

https://www.iahsaa.org/officials/

Missed calls, even obvious ones are going to happen. If you think any official chooses to miss a call, you are ignorant. These are people who give up their Friday nights for low pay to be screamed at. They do their best but as humans, mistakes will happen. Every game is filmed and can be reviewed by both the IHSAA and assignors. They are held accountable through post-season assignments and future assignments but I can guarantee most referee's biggest critics are themselves.

See that is the thing that annoys me. Every time this discussion Is had. Someone tells us to be refs. Refs are paid. They are paid mostly to protect players at this age. This is not a Holding call and we are all mad and the coach freaked out. This is a clear head shot and it looks like it was done on purpose.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
For all you officiating experts commenting on here, here is the link to sign up. We need good officials to register and there seems to be a lot on here.

Missed calls, even obvious ones are going to happen. If you think any official chooses to miss a call, you are ignorant. These are people who give up their Friday nights for low pay to be screamed at. They do their best but as humans, mistakes will happen. Every game is filmed and can be reviewed by both the IHSAA and assignors. They are held accountable through post-season assignments and future assignments but I can guarantee most referee's biggest critics are themselves.

So that's it..........sign up or shut up? Please....we are all human and all make mistakes. They aren't getting paid to be perfect. And no one is expecting it. However, if we cannot expect the obvious as a minimum then why have them at all?

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

I’ve said it before and I will say it again if the IHSAA really wants to get more officials then they need to actually recruit them. I intend on eventually doing it but I don’t have enough interest to go out of my way to sign up.

Mistakes do happen and that’s part of life but post season assignments and stuff that isn’t visible to the public doesn’t hold up to the accountability required. It’s a two way street. Officials deserve respect for what they do but then officials have to respect players, coaches, and fans too. If they make a mistake they need to own up to it. If possible make any changes to get the call correct.

iSUCylones

Mar 5, 2012
Des Moines
Curious. How do people want *high school* officials to be "publicly" held accountable? Shamed on the town square? Tarred and feathered? Also, how do you know the official didn't own up to the mistake to the coach later? Too many have unrealistic expectations for people who are barely payed and without them there would be no game despite some who ask "why have them at all."

And yes, put up or shut up because I can bet almost everyone on here criticizing the referee for missing an "obvious" call would also miss a similar if not worse call if put in the same position.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Curious. How do people want *high school* officials to be "publicly" held accountable? Shamed on the town square? Tarred and feathered? Also, how do you know the official didn't own up to the mistake to the coach later? Too many have unrealistic expectations for people who are barely payed and without them there would be no game despite some who ask "why have them at all."

And yes, put up or shut up because I can bet almost everyone on here criticizing the referee for missing an "obvious" call would also miss a similar if not worse call if put in the same position.

We're getting a little far down the rabbit hole in this thread. I think all we're saying is that if an official misses a call it should be OK to threaten to murder him and his family. I don't think anyone here would find that unreasonable.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
It was a 61 - 7 game in favor of Dowling. Very well could have been a 3rd string kid trying to make a name for himself from Dowling, without knowing when it happened in the game its hard to say. I really doubt the Dowling coaches are out there coaching their kids to hit that way, and if they are shame on them.

I would not be surprised by what Dowling does. The reason I say this is I was on their sideline on the chain crew during a sophomore game against Ames, and they had a couple of kids that came off of the field with what looked liked concussion type symptoms by the way they were trying to walk off the field. Overheard a coach asking them, "are you ok?" and the kids responses were "umm...yeah..I think so." They put them back in the next series. Didn't even set them down or anything.

I've been to concussion seminars as they were required if you were coaching in youth football, so I think after having a son go through concussion protocol before, that I would be able to spot it. I just couldn't believe it that they put those guys back in. I would have said something but I had to be impartial being on the chain crew. Didn't want to get chastised by the Dowling staff if I said something.

BTW- After being part of the sideline crew for 5 years, you get a feel for the type of program that each school has and how the coaching staffs work. I hate to say it but Dowling was by far the worst school I've had to be on the sideline for in regards to vulgarity, down right hot headed coaches, and just lack of sportsmanship.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I get it. I've been very "pro referee" on many threads about the declining number of refs due to crazy, ***hole parents. It's a thankless job and I'm sure they hate making mistake too.

But also, you are paid and you are there voluntarily. You have taken on the task of enforcing the rules in order to protect the players. Missing a hold here-and-there, whatever. Missing a blatant target that could have paralyzed the kid? That's a problem. And even if it is a total accident, you can't get too surprised if someone has a firery response in reference to your having missed the call, especially on something that dangerous.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
This story is impossible to judge without knowing what the coach said to the ref. Or his prior history.

Maybe he's been a jackwagon for years and told the ref he'd be waiting for him in the parking lot with machete and an AR-15.

Maybe he's a model citizen who said, "Excuse me sir, you need to realize that children could be getting hurt out there. Please take care to not miss a similar call in the future."

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Can someone explain the hit that Mason Rudolph took from Earl Thomas yesterday? If that is not a helmet to helmet call than what is? He should have been tossed. He just drops like dead weight. Play should have been reviewed. Thinking he just got a roughing the passer call.

Last edited:

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Am I the only one who read the linked article, then clicked on the video to watch the play only to see a story about a 1200 pound pumpkin?

• Agree
Reactions: ljm4cy

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Can someone explain the hit that Mason Rudolph took from Earl Thomas yesterday? If that is not a helmet to helmet call than what is? He should have been tossed. He just drops like dead weight. Play should have been reviewed. Thinking he just got a roughing the passer call.

Compare that to the roughing the passer call against Rashan Gary in the Green Bay/Dallas game.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Zero excuse for any white hat to miss that call.

Zero excuse for any parent or coach to react the way he did.
Even after folks have explained why it was missed there is no excuse?

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

Clonepackof1

Jan 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids

Great response. I scratch my head at the need for accountability in high school athletics for officials, other than the game/season evaluations that occur from coaches and supervisors which can end up in less games or removal from working varsity or upper level games.

Many of the anti-referee responses on here are why I haven't gotten back into officiating. I worked a ton of CIML basketball and baseball games during and just after college. In fact, they were so desperate for baseball officials that I worked over 40 varsity games my first summer (at age 19) - and I had never worked an officially sanctioned baseball game before. Ever. They just didn't have enough umps.

I had to stop once my career and family got going and planned on getting back into after I got more time back. As I've watched my own kids go through rec league, then AAU and now high school, I can tell you there is zero chance I'm going back into it. Listening to parents who don't know the rules scream, and coaches who make a point of grandstanding and embarrassing game officials for judgement calls are just not worth it.

For those who mocked the "sign up or shut up" response earlier, think about that and your attitude toward game officials this winter as you continue to see old, fat, marginal officials failing to keep up with the speed of big school basketball and wonder why there aren't any decent young referees around. It's a direct reflection of the ridiculous fans and coaches who go way over the line more and more. It won't be the officials fault when there aren't enough officials to hold all the games...