Lipsey Shoutout

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Just watched ISU-Oklahoma game highlight. OMG, Lipsey can finish at the rim. Shots that he made were not easy layups. I think he is the best finisher at the rim since Tinsley.

IMO he compares more with Will Blaylock.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Will Blalock was a better shooter but not as strong as Lipsey. He reminds me of Dean Oliver
As much as I hate a hok comp, this one's pretty good. Oliver was a good player. Not flashy by any means, but solid all around.

Reactions: isutrevman

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
An amazing PG stat:

Lipsey has a 2.6 Assist : TO ratio, which is awesome for a FR

But that stat has always seemed weird to me - assists aren't the opposite of turnovers, steals are. Lipsey also has a "positive" Steal:Turnover ratio - 24 vs 22

Two other FR PGs have done that - Monte (46/28) and Haliburton (54/28). Monte went on to achieve that feat all 4 years, while Haliburton just missed his (ill-fated) SO year.

The biggest difference being that both Monte and Hali played behind established PGs their FR years, where Tamin is the main guy. But it's amazing company for him to be in. (of course, both Monte and Hali shot >40% from 3 their FR years as well)

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
Halliburton was the best player on the team from day 1. But Steve Prohm was an idiot.
It's really sad because Prohm sorely mismanaged the teams while he was here. I really liked him and thought he had the personality and prowess to stay here for the long haul. Unfortunately he was unable to succeed at this level. He recruited well but just couldn't manage the egos or put all the pieces together at one time. I've vaguely watched Murray St. This season and it seems he is back to his successful ways. The stage was to big and he crumbled under the pressure. I'm glad he is back at it and happy we have moved on.

Reactions: isutrevman

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Tamin is a true freshman! It’s just mind-blowing the maturation and progress of his game. Going to definitely go down as one of the Ames great’s when it’s all said and done.

Reactions: Ankency

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Where are these people who thought I was crazy when I said Lipsey is a better PG than Hunter?

Right now I would absolutely agree with you. I would like him to be more of a consistent mid-range and perimeter scorer though. If he were to add that, I think you’d have to be worried with him bolting professionally early. But very good decision maker at point. Extremely surprised and impressed.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Other than dribbling to the side line and losing the ball at the end, he had another good game.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Lipsey is better than I expected and I’m probably not alone in that respect. It’s been encouraging to see him get into the lane and finish with those floaters and high-off-the-glass shots. He’s been fantastic on defense and controlling the ball. You would not guess he’s a freshman if you didn’t know better.

Hoping he can develop a decent 3 point shot over the next couple of years. Think that would put him on another level.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Totally agree on the Celtics roster. Just not seeing the Smart/Hunter comp personally. I actually have a hard time finding a comp I like for Hunter so not arguing. To me he's undersized, not a great shooter, not great vision/passing, but high level athleticism. Be hard for him to make it in the NBA IMO but we'll see. Easier now than ever for smaller guys to make an impact in the league.
Is Hunter’s comp Lindell Wigginton? Only maybe a better defender but not as good of a shooter. I think this is a better comp and Hunter will be a G league two-way contract guy with an occasional call up to the NBA.

Whereas Lipsey’s penetration and finishing and passing reminds me of Steve Nash. He constantly probes and keeps his dribble so he can make those bullet passes back out to the open man. However, Nash became an elite shooter whereas Tamin doesn’t have a perimeter shot at all. If he develops a serviceable one at ISU then I think he can play in the NBA. If you’re looking for a pure PG it’s Lipsey not Hunter.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Is Hunter’s comp Lindell Wigginton? Only maybe a better defender but not as good of a shooter. I think this is a better comp and Hunter will be a G league two-way contract guy with an occasional call up to the NBA.

Whereas Lipsey’s penetration and finishing and passing reminds me of Steve Nash. He constantly probes and keeps his dribble so he can make those bullet passes back out to the open man. However, Nash became an elite shooter whereas Tamin doesn’t have a perimeter shot at all. If he develops a serviceable one at ISU then I think he can play in the NBA. If you’re looking for a pure PG it’s Lipsey not Hunter.
I think Lipsey has more refined offensive skills than Hunter. He is a much better finisher at the rim and has a floater. Most of Hunter‘s point come from quickness and 3 pointers, which he does at very low percentage. He doesn’t have step back or creating off the dribble jump shot. Most of his 3 pointers come from passes from other players or stop and pop during transition.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I don’t think the Monte Morris comparisons are way off, but Monte was someone you didn’t leave wide open from 3. His career percentage was not great and fairly steady his four years, but it was upper 30s. And the amount he took/made increased each year to the point he was making one-and-a-half per game his senior year. Other characteristics (assists, turnovers, steals, etc) are definitely similar. I’d say Tamin is a better rebounder, but Monte better shooter.

Like I said earlier, if Tamin could shoot the deep ball he’d be on another level and one of the bigger recruiting wins we’ve had knowing he’s not going to the league early.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic