List of schools with the most early entries into NBA draft.

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
the most interesting thing about this is the one and dones not in the NBA anymore like daniel orton and josh selby

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Shawn Taggart sighting.
I remember that Shawn, a toothpick of a big man as a true frosh in 2005-06 had announced his plan to transfer prior to the McDermott hiring. But I still consider him the first of the Morgan era player exodus, which created the talent vacuum that doomed the McDermott era before it even started. He did well sitting out a year at Memphis, and making a man of himself. Too bad that coach Calipari bailed before his 5th year senior year, when he chose to go pro. That one additional year might have helped him get into the NBA.
The final transfer of the McDermott era was the last true center Iowa State has had in 6-11, 260 lb Justin Hamilton. He forewent his 5th year senior year at LSU for reasons unknown and was last seen hanging around in the D-league.
Between Taggart and Hamilton, the McDermott "transfer out" era was tramatic for Cyclone fanatics everywhere. I actually kept track of those guys for something to do while McD's teams floundered through one Big 12 season after the next. How many were there in the end? It was really absurd. Pretty sure it was into the 30s.
The superstar of the group would have to be Wesley Johnson (on the Syracuse list in the article), who rose to a lottery pick. Mc_D thought he was a cream puff, and T-Wolves fans might agree, but give him credit. He is making his millions.
It will take some time, but Hoiberg's "transfer in" classes will eventually out-shine McDermott's transfer-outs in the professional ranks, although for now, on this list, they trail 2-0. Much is made of how well Iowa State exploits the transfer rules nowadays, but I am amazed at he amnesia about how the reverse was true in the years preceding Hoiberg's arrival.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
The final transfer of the McDermott era was the last true center Iowa State has had in 6-11, 260 lb Justin Hamilton. He forewent his 5th year senior year at LSU for reasons unknown and was last seen hanging around in the D-league.

You mean on the Miami Heat roster

Anyway wtf was that rant about?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Of the 144 highlighted, about 9% were not drafted and a quarter (23.6%) are not considered in the NBA anymore (as mentioned above, they may be on D League contracts).

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Of the 144 highlighted, about 9% were not drafted and a quarter (23.6%) are not considered in the NBA anymore (as mentioned above, they may be on D League contracts).

I realize its only 9% that went undrafted but I find it sad they left the college game to enter the draft just to be left out. Either they didnt do their homework or got bad info on their draft stock

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
The Iowa State list that I can think of would be Fizer, Blalock, Stinson and White. Fizer played 5 years in the NBA, Blalock 23 games, White 3 games (so far) and Stinson none. Could probably include Ernest Brown who signed with ISU then went into the draft - for a 3 game NBA career.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
The Iowa State list that I can think of would be Fizer, Blalock, Stinson and White. Fizer played 5 years in the NBA, Blalock 23 games, White 3 games (so far) and Stinson none. Could probably include Ernest Brown who signed with ISU then went into the draft - for a 3 game NBA career.

Brackins?

vacyclone

Nov 17, 2012

This list only includes the one-and-done era (2006-present), so Fizer wouldn't be on it. Blalock and Stinson both declared for the 2006 draft, so they would be. I think Brackins left after his junior year, so we'd be at 4.