Local Media Covering the Big 12 Title Game

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Does anyone know what local media will be in Dallas to cover ISU in the title game? Keith Murphy said on his show today they will not be there to cover the game. I didn't know if the other stations would be in the same boat. WOI and Directv are fighting so the game may not even be on Dirctv locally. I want to support and watch the stations that do their job and cover ISU.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Dish and Nexstar which owns WHOTV is currently fighting so it's blacked out on Dish right now but there is no reason why every local TV, Radio, and newsprint outlet in central Iowa does not have at least 1 person on the ground in Dallas for this game. Pretty sure they would all send someone if Iowa was in the Big 10 Championship game so it is BS that the biggest game in the history of the land grant university in Iowa is not getting in person coverage.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
They send someone to Big12 media days or to KC for the Big 12 BB Tournament even in years we suck so why would they not have someone on the ground to cover the biggest game in the program history?

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
I don't think many of you realize how stringent policies have become because of COVID, both events and stations.

You can't do anything face to face anyways, so no need to send someone live. Unnecessary cost to an industry that has been hit hard with loss of advertising.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I don't think many of you realize how stringent policies have become because of COVID.

You can't do anything face to face anyways, so no need to send someone live. Unnecessary cost to an industry that has been hit hard with loss of advertising.

They blamed it on Covid. For something like this though you have to find a way to make it work. Cost has never been a factor when it comes to coving Iowa in bowl games.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
They blamed it on Covid. For something like this though you have to find a way to make it work. Cost has never been a factor when it comes to coving Iowa in bowl games.

Well... Are they lying?

Does it seriously make a difference to hear someone stand at the stadium to talk about it vs someone in the studio saying the exact same thing? The only thing is you get to see the sparkly Jerry World. Players won't be able to talk, coaches. No one. Everything is remote. What's the point?

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
I don't think many of you realize how stringent policies have become because of COVID, both events and stations.

I had a stream of political ads on tv for a year so i don’t buy the poor man theory. What is ironic is keith Murphy hammers local media for canceling local content (e.g. kggo morning show).

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
I had a stream of political ads on tv for a year so i don’t buy the poor man theory. What is ironic is keith Murphy hammers local media for canceling local content (e.g. kggo morning show).

It was a lifeboat no doubt... Really a timely boost in revenue. No clue on how DSM is doing... my shop is operating in the red. I worry about the viability of my station in the long term.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Well... Are they lying?

Does it seriously make a difference to hear someone stand at the stadium to talk about it vs someone in the studio saying the exact same thing? The only thing is you get to see the sparkly Jerry World. Players won't be able to talk, coaches. No one. Everything is remote. What's the point?

It probably doesn't make a difference in the end. I am sure they can find some stories to do while they are there though.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I flew thanksgiving, I don't know about how overblown this flu has been on the soyboy media side. The world is collapsing to china and people are letting it happen, and it's pretty sad. If you are not homeless from being dumb from this covid hype in a few years, you'll look back and regret how scared and stupid you were.

This seems unnecessarily aggressive to me based on the post it quoted.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
It is the Hawkeye channel, of course they are not.

Probably doing a tribute to KF overcoming his racism again during the game.

Have not missed the WHO blackout on Dish one bit. Digital antenna gets Sunday night football and ND games fine. That is the sum total of all that I watch on WHO.

• Winner
Reactions: irish