Locked On Big 12 Podcast Axed for Playing Huggins Comments

PredominantISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2014
Why wouldn't you bleep out the word itself? Because the whole point is to convey to the listener exactly what was said. I think as long as you provide a prior warning for those audience members who may have delicate ears, there's nothing wrong with playing the recording unedited.
Everyone knows what derogatory term he used. I feel like if his point is was to convey his overall tone in which he said it and the surrounding context that can easily be done without including

the word itself.

In somewhat convenient timing if anyone has seen the latest episode of Ted Lasso on Apple TV the crux of the episode is an angry fan in the stands shouting that word to insult the players on the field. Now obviously, Apple did not include that word, but it was very clear which word was used and the intended meaning of the word to that fan. I would disagree with you that there is “nothing wrong” with including the unedited word and in fact very little value is added by including it.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I didn't even realize there was a LO Big 12 podcast.

I used to listen to some team-centric (NFL) LO podcasts awhile back, but gave them up for some that are much higher quality / interesting. If your interest has literally no other outlet than a LO channel, they are OK I guess.

I do have one pod I listen to occasionally that was technically bought out by the LO network that does NFL draft analysis, but it's only relevant for about 4 months of the year and then I pretty much ignore it.

More to the topic, the reaction to fire the kid is pretty brainless, but considering how I view the management of LO, sadly unsurprising.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Everyone knows what derogatory term he used. I feel like if his point is was to convey his overall tone in which he said it and the surrounding context that can easily be done without including

the word itself.

In somewhat convenient timing if anyone has seen the latest episode of Ted Lasso on Apple TV the crux of the episode is an angry fan in the stands shouting that word to insult the players on the field. Now obviously, Apple did not include that word, but it was very clear which word was used and the intended meaning of the word to that fan. I would disagree with you that there is “nothing wrong” with including the unedited word and in fact very little value is added by including it.

Huggins comment was "it was all those Catholic BEEP".

This incident had just happened shortly before the Locked On podcast was recorded. How could everyone possibly know the word that was edited out? How could everyone understand the full inappropriateness of the comment without knowing the slur that was used? As vulgar as the term might be, it's just a word. As long as a public warning is given before the comment was played, I think that's all that's necessary.

Pardon my frustration, but many people are so overly sensitive these days.

Last edited:

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Agree, but no tolerance is no tolerance. You have to have an understanding of policy. I agree that the policy itself is dumb and lazy.
Sort of like the no gambling, period, policy for student athletes. God forbid a college football player might legally bet $10 on the Red Sox to beat the Yankees.

• Agree
Reactions: chuckd4735

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Must have been looking for a reason to let him go because the reasoning he gave makes no sense at all. You can't fire someone for that, I mean maybe legally you can but logically it makes no sense.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Why wouldn't you bleep out the word itself? Because the whole point is to convey to the listener exactly what was said. I think as long as you provide a prior warning for those audience members who may have delicate ears, there's nothing wrong with playing the recording unedited.

I agree. How is it good journalism to play the entire conversation except the most relevant words? Give a warning and let the listener decide whether they can handle hearing exactly what was said.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I agree. How is it good journalism to play the entire conversation except the most relevant words? Give a warning and let the listener decide whether they can handle hearing exactly what was said.
Especially when a bunch of people on Twitter were saying he didn't say it or he misspoke, I think the fact he said it twice and didn't stutter is kind of central to the story.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron