Long term implications

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
Problem is now that we've made big time college sports a business, fans are now customers, more so than they've ever been. Not solely passionate alumni who happen to show up to games.

Customers are more transactional about the money they give for (in this case) entertainment. If they don't get something in return they'll find better uses for their money. Hard to ask for more and more donations/NIL when the team isn't giving results in return.
I agree.

Winning and losing always affected tv coverage and recruiting. NIL and the Portal are just going to make that worse.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
I Really wonder what happens with NIL donations for football. People donated last year and we responded with 1 WR and a 5th string RB from the portal on offense. If we dont get better on offense it doesnt really matter if we retain players on defense either because the offense will continue to lose games
I'm not sure the fanbase donated enough to afford any more than that to be honest

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Winners and new coaches draw in the best players. Will be interesting to see how this season impacts recruiting classes moving forward. We are only three games in, but a trend has appeared. If this season tanks like last year…we might see recruiting take a nose dive further cementing our nose dive as the KU replacement at the bottom of the Big 16. It’s a slippery slope.
I'm sad. I'm apathetic. I don't envy JP. Wait, he's just as stubborn.

Slow burn.

• Winner
Reactions: joefrog

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
It’s a really bad time in CFB and the new big 12 to be trending down.

CFB transformation isn’t going away.

Long term winners and losers in CFB could be decided in the next 5 years.

I’ll bet JP is nervous, as he knows won’t make a change, in some ways ($$) he probably can’t make a change.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Higgins, Ben Brahmer, and Jackson look like quality big 12 guys. We aren’t using them enough
I mean, I like those guys, but every mediocre team I watch has guys just as good. I don’t think they stand out.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I'm done listening to CMC's pressers. Same repetitive crap like his same repetitive crappy offense. The man is stubborn and doesn't have enough flexibility. Not sure what his offensive philosophies are, but it's terrible to watch, and would be easy to coach against. Give Heacock the job. He's the only one I see using his head out there.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
I'm not giving money to a "collective" when I already pay for tickets to attend events, taxes to support the university, and multiple media platforms to watch games.
That's fine, but the fans of other teams feel differently so don't complain when those teams outperform ISU on the field because they have better players. (This is a generic comment independent of coaching)

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and legi

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
That's fine, but the fans of other teams feel differently so don't complain when those teams outperform ISU on the field because they have better players. (This is a generic comment independent of coaching)

Do they. Did you watch the game yesterday? Did you notice the stadium.....how many fans were there?

Reactions: cyputz and SDClone

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
Does Ohio U have better players because they paid more? From all the funds generated by their huge fanbase and MAC TV deal? The massive donations which come in from their 25K seat stadium? Or their incredible athletics facilities overall. Is this going to be the case for all the Big 12 teams compared to us? Including Houston, WV, KSU, KU, Cincinnati, UCF, ASU, UA and the incredible advantages they have in facilities and large passonate fanbases?

"Buying" better players is not going to fix fundemental flaws in the coaching staff we have seen over the last 8 years. It does not take 8 yrs to field even a mediocre OL, but apparently does at ISU.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
Do they. Did you watch the game yesterday? Did you notice the stadium.....how many fans were there?
I'm not saying lack of resources is the reason ISU lost to Ohio, which is why I included the comment in parenthesis.
Does Ohio U have better players because they paid more? From all the funds generated by their huge fanbase and MAC TV deal? The massive donations which come in from their 25K seat stadium? Or their incredible athletics facilities overall. Is this going to be the case for all the Big 12 teams compared to us? Including Houston, WV, KSU, KU, Cincinnati, UCF, ASU, UA and the incredible advantages they have in facilities and large passonate fanbases?

"Buying" better players is not going to fix fundemental flaws in the coaching staff we have seen over the last 8 years. It does not take 8 yrs to field even a mediocre OL, but apparently does at ISU.
Today wasn’t the day to make my point. But did you see my parenthetical comment or not?

Reactions: legi

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
south-park-mc-mackey.gif

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016

Is that true, or do other teams just have a few more big whales that make it seem true?

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I Really wonder what happens with NIL donations for football. People donated last year and we responded with 1 WR and a 5th string RB from the portal on offense. If we dont get better on offense it doesnt really matter if we retain players on defense either because the offense will continue to lose games
I have no idea how competitive ISU is with NIL, probably not very, but I think there are some opportunities in the portal without having to shell out a lot of many. I can’t remember which game I was watching yesterday where the announcer said one team had brought in 60 new players (not CU). And they said Colorado State brought in 12 new Olinemen, in an offense that looked good running and throwing. In these 2 examples they’re not paying all these guys a ton of money.

That said, it’s possible that we have the talent on offense but just not the coaching. So shuffling the deck may not make a difference. My guess is that this is the case.

Reactions: legi

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron