Long term implications

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Mike Rose was a legit 1st team All-American. His play his sophomore year and junior year was as good as any LB in America. Its a shame his body got destroyed. He was at another level even compared to Jake Knott, Dobbins, Blair or whoever else you throw in there.
It's great we can discuss great players! Wish we could do it more!

Both were great, and Blair did play quite a long time ago. I was very young. I remember him as being pretty awesome though. And he had a long and storied NFL career. To bad his body (brain) was also destroyed over time.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
that's not what we're worried about......we have almost zero offensive talent other than our qb's. Now, even with our current talent, there's no reason the offense should be as bad as it currently is.

Our scheme and OL is a major factor in why we suck right now.
I wonder if the OL would do better if the defense didn’t have a good idea of the play was going to be.

• Winner
Reactions: Die4Cy

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
Still weren't as good as the first 3. Mike Rose was the best LB in ISU history.

I don’t know, AJ Klein was a hell of an Lber and played many productive years in the NFL. I can’t remember the name of the other kid that played at the same time, who honestly had even better college numbers, but flamed out in the pros.

And I would’ve been pretty young then, but if memory serves Dennis Gibson played in the late 70s/80s for Iowa State, and was pretty good to…

Alvin Bowen was also a really good linebacker so was Tim Dobbins… Probably not quite on the level of the others but Bowen also spent several years in the NFL from team to team

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I don’t know, AJ Klein was a hell of an Lber and played many productive years in the NFL. I can’t remember the name of the other kid that played at the same time, who honestly had even better college numbers, but flamed out in the pros.

And I would’ve been pretty young then, but if memory serves Dennis Gibson played in the late 70s/80s for Iowa State, and was pretty good to…

Alvin Bowen was also a really good linebacker so was Tim Dobbins… Probably not quite on the level of the others but Bowen also spent several years in the NFL from team to team
I'm only talking performance in college. If we're going by pro careers AJ Klein was a better LBer than Brian Bosworth.

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
that's not what we're worried about......we have almost zero offensive talent other than our qb's. Now, even with our current talent, there's no reason the offense should be as bad as it currently is.

Our scheme and OL is a major factor in why we suck right now.

Meh…I you have st least 2 Rbers I like a lot especially the freshman from Iowa?! Where’d he play high school Sama. ?

And your TEs have some skill.

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
I'm only talking performance in college. If we're going by pro careers AJ Klein was a better LBer than Brian Bosworth

Yes, I get the concept, thanks…DOH!!

But Knott, (thanks for reminding me) and Klein were fantastic LBers at the same time and if memory serves Klein ran a 4.66, extremely fast at his size (yet there were questions about his athleticism LOL) and was code. Defensive player of the year is junior year and all big 12 his senior year… Maybe Rose had those accolades I honestly can’t remember…..

Reactions: deadeyededric

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Top 5?! Now I get there’s a difference between talent as in future, NFL players and team defense?! But who are the four other teams that have better defensive talent right now?
Texas has more talent for sure. Of course, they are notorious for doing less with more talent!

I was being conservative when I said top 5.

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
Texas has more talent for sure. Of course, they are notorious for doing less with more talent!

I was being conservative when I said top 5.

Right, and yes they recruit well by rankings, but they have 29 players in the NFL, which is a solid number, but not like the B1G boys!

14 of them defenders.

I’d wager OU under Venables will eventually play better D. But you want to hear an amazing stat. They have 33 current NFL players, but only 9 from the defensive side…

Reactions: Cyhig

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Right, and yes they recruit well by rankings, but they have 29 players in the NFL, which is a solid number, but not like the B1G boys!

14 of them defenders.

I’d wager OU under Venables will eventually play better D. But you want to hear an amazing stat. They have 33 current NFL players, but only 9 from the defensive side…
And I think Texas only has 1 player drafted in the first round since 2016…. For any position

Reactions: cmhawks99

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Actually just had some entertainment reading through some old awful takes.
But felt the need to make it known to others.

Listen, most everyone was greatly concerned at the time this thread started. But, I understand it's important for some people to pull receipts for absolutely no reason. It's weird, especially when people are simply voicing their concern on a forum where opinions are supposed to be voiced.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
But felt the need to make it known to others.

Listen, most everyone was greatly concerned at the time this thread started. But, I understand it's important for some people to pull receipts for absolutely no reason. It's weird, especially when people are simply voicing their concern on a forum where opinions are supposed to be voiced.

There’s a difference in voicing concerns, and just downright asinine takes. In September.