Not open for further replies.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Is this just a once a season preview or 4 issue/year?

If it is multiple issues, I'd include some articles on other Iowa State sports to broaden the interest. Or team member interviews.

One football preview annual. That is it.

I think a lot of people are responding thinking that it would be monthly, quarterly or something like that, which is not the case.

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
I don't think there's anything you could put in print form that isn't already easily accessible either on the website or in well-established preseason magazines. It's a neat idea, though. If you think you can make it worthwhile, I would probably buy one just to support the project and see what you guys can put together, then judge if I would buy it again.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I don't think there's anything you could put in print form that isn't already easily accessible ...... in well-established preseason magazines.

Have you read any of the "reviews" they put out for ISU? I'm more than certain that CF writers could put something together that blows the "well-established" out of the water with respect to ISU coverage and knowledge.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
One football preview annual. That is it.

I think a lot of people are responding thinking that it would be monthly, quarterly or something like that, which is not the case.

When I said $20 price point I was picturing hardcover, almost like a yearbook. The first half would break down last year's season with all of the pictures, game stories, etc then the second half be the season preview. I would LOVE that on the coffee table in my mancave! Then I could start a series going forward.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
As a lot of others, I'm sure, have mentioned, this is kind of a risk, but if done well, I and I'm sure many other CF'ers, as well as regular Cyclone fans, would be very interested. I'd buy one for sure.

It'd be nice to have something dedicated solely to happenings in the Cardinal and Gold world, rather than a two paragraph byline written by someone who knows as much, or less, about our f-ball program than the average fan does.

After you get an idea of the format and content, I'm pretty sure you could find at least local advertisers, and maybe even more, to help defray the cost and offset some of the financial risk.

Put me down for an issue!!

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
The goal of the print publication would be to make more profit for the company overall so that we can afford to pay people like Ben to write on the site on a weekly basis. Without charging subscriptions here on CF and relying on advertising alone, we have a pretty fixed budget for that sort of thing as it is.

Do we need to have a CF bake sale? I would donate scotcharoos if we could get a weekly Ben Bruns take.:v_SPIN:

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
The key would be original content never seen on this website nor ever added to this website later. Limiting it to just football may be a mistake just from a content perspective.

Ideas for content:
* Where are they know articles/interviews on former athletes (Fizer, Dobbins, Cato, Troy Davis, etc.)
* Coach interviews
* Sport update for all major sports (yes even women's basketball and Volleyball)?
* Current player interviews
* Outside articles/interviews about each team's up coming season.

All in all it could work. I agree with the pre-order idea with an outline provided before of what the content would be. $10 price range is probably more realistic starting out to get a stronger committment.

Remember a lot of people were burned by Deace and is Cyclone Nation publication that never seemed to be printed and delivered at all or at the very best 2 months later which contained articles read on-line the month prior.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
When I said $20 price point I was picturing hardcover, almost like a yearbook. The first half would break down last year's season with all of the pictures, game stories, etc then the second half be the season preview. I would LOVE that on the coffee table in my mancave! Then I could start a series going forward.

This type of publication is the idea that we're currently tossing around.

motorCYcle

Jun 18, 2008
Ames, Iowa
As others have said, I don't want it to detract from the content on the site. It sounds like that is not what you are suggesting, so I am ok with that. Would I buy it? Maybe. I'm not sure what you could work out with the university, but I know I would definitely be more apt to buy it if I saw it sold in Jack Trice. As some others have said, a hard cover with Wesley pictures, exclusive coach & player interviews, and ~ $15 would be great.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006

This type of publication is the idea that we're currently tossing around.

This idea and then maybe some reference material for during the season with player/coach bios (if you're allowed to do that)...I'd like that and it would be a good thing to get my Dad since he's really not of the computer generation...something he could reference throughout the season.

I think if you stick with that and original material from people like yourself, Bruns, AA, etc. it would be a pretty good deal...and as you said it's a one time/year thing (which many on here don't seem to grasp) so the fear of keeping it going $$ wise on a periodic basis isn't there.

I think if your put as much effort into that as you do this site, you'll be sitting in butter my friend...it will be successful...

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
I would be for it! especially me being in Minnesota during football season.

Couple questions:
cost?
Printer? Only reason i ask is, if you have not chosen one yet PM me chris my dad is in the printing business.

ISUSwimmer

Sep 9, 2010
Ames
Chris,

I would stay away. You said it yourself. U cannot lose money. Unless you HAVE to take the risk for some reason( my impression is that you don't) then don't take it. Only jump into a situation like this when you CAN lose money once you are in a better financial position to do so and at that point decide if it is something to pursue.

Everyone you talk to will say that they would be interested in buying one, but none of them have a vested interest. YOU do!

Printers will tell you that this is a slam dunk, but again, they do not have a vested interest. They don't stand to lose anything. YOU do!

Look at the costs, set some goals to get to a point where you CAN risk losing money and reasses at that time.

Probably more advise that you were looking for but advise none the less. Good luck with your decision.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I would buy it, but I'm that crazy person who still likes real newspapers.

As far is if it is feasible.....I have no idea how many you have to print. I also wonder if you could get them in the bookstores in Ames? Maybe HyVees?

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
The content would only be available in the print publication. It would not be re-posted on CycloneFanatic.com.

I may be a cheapskate, but this is what I am worried about. I do think it would take content away from the site and make it for sale. I guess that is probably the goal?

I don't know. I'm just a busy person who doesn't really have time for a print thing, but will look at a website a couple of times a day for a few minutes when I have the chance. I realize it is basically the same thing, but there is something about it that seems different that will likely make me not buy a print edition. Just me.

clonecard

Oct 21, 2006
New ventures have a common thread.....they are capital intensive and lose money. Additionally, print is becoming more problematic with each passing day. So why lose $ on a buggy whip technology? You have said you dont want to lose on this venture and it seems to me you are in an excellent position to do just that.
5 cents please

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If you're ever in need of writing contributions for free, I can give you my phone number. :wink:

I think that's one key: Plenty of knowledgable contributors on CF — both "official" contributors and a few message-boarders who have niche expertise. If you have minimal overhead in that regard, it could help.

Al 4 State said (reiterating earlier post): "As someone else said, what is it going to have that we can't get here? That would be a sticking point for me. That and cost."

Yes, we get a ton of (free) info here. The key to a publication would be, how unique is the content.

An advantage of a print pub: I'd bet a lot of frequent consumers of CF would like having that sort of thing all in one place, in physical form. It depends on how it's presented, what's included.

Question is — would it be marketable enough to ISU fans who aren't in the online community mode?

Sorry if my comments on this post are scattershot — thinking on-the-fly about the value of such a publication, at the fringe of what seems obvious (an annual magazine doesn't seem worth the risk in the digital age).

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If it is anything close to what I have come to expect from you, I would pre-pay for my copy right now.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
My suggestion is refundable pre-order. This way you know if it will be a success or not without the risk. If you don't have enough purchases to make money before production begins then you refund the money.

People will always say "I'll buy" but then back out, which would could become a big loss for the site.

Set a time limit for the decision so anyone that pre-orders know in advance when the decision will be made with their money "invested". At that point either you have enough people and produce it or refund the money.

Also, a page with advertisements for CycloneFanatic supporting/advertising businesses would be a good way to remind us who keeps the site free. That way we know who else to support.

Good ideas. Make sure that you have pre-sold enough copies to fit your business plan so that you know you don't lose money. And have advertising. You might also want to sell online access to digital copy that is not print-friendly.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
You realize half of the content will be hashed out on here or other websites. Why buy the cow when you can drink the milk for free.

I wouldn't be a buyer.

You could have a "best of CF" section. If nothing else, quote some of the most egotistical CFers because you know they will buy copies!

Status
Not open for further replies.