Looking for a New Mattress

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
My girlfriend has a dream cloud (the more expensive firmer one). It is awesome, sleep amazing on it. After a few years of sleeping so much better at her house I have no clue why I haven’t bought one yet.
Is it the mattress? ;)

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We have had both of these, Sleep number and a Tempurpedic., I love our sleep number bed, we have the one that is the half split, at the top. My side is very firm, my wife's is less than 50. I like to raise my feet, so both side raise, and then set it too go down a couple of hours later. Best bed we have ever owned, by far.

Tempur-Pedic king, just killed my back, I woke up every morning, stiff as a board, ours was an older model, so you got very hot, kept the body heat in. Sucked for sex, no bounce back at all. Our kids love that bed when they are back, plenty of room, but I hated it.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Anyone have any experience with Zinus mattresses? Good or bad is much appreciated.

ISUConE

Feb 1, 2019

Wife and I have had this memory foam mattress since 2015. It’s the best mattress we have ever had. My kids love it so all of their beds have this mattress now. One of my kids used to have a 10” thick memory foam mattress for a couple years and we hated it.

Reactions: Klubber

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
My girlfriend has a dream cloud (the more expensive firmer one). It is awesome, sleep amazing on it. After a few years of sleeping so much better at her house I have no clue why I haven’t bought one yet.
Best sales pitch so far. Been with her a few years and still hasn’t proposed, just hanging around for the mattress

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Dunno how picky you are with your mattress but I've slept on a Lebeda mattress for over 20 years and they hold up well. Affordable and last longer than a lot of name brands and made in Iowa is a bonus too.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Get something with a guaranteed free trial period.And don't be afraid to use it!

We have used this one for about 4 years and love it, it has a free trial, etc: Sparrow Hybrid by Nest Bedding. Not cheap, but worth it. We have the most firm level, it's still not "too firm," but just right.

(Fair disclosure: I get a refer-a-friend thing (maybe $10??? not sure) if you buy one.)

Good luck. Shopping for a mattress stinks.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Get something with a guaranteed free trial period.And don't be afraid to use it!

We have used this one for about 4 years and love it, it has a free trial, etc: Sparrow Hybrid by Nest Bedding. Not cheap, but worth it. We have the most firm level, it's still not "too firm," but just right.

(Fair disclosure: I get a refer-a-friend thing (maybe $10??? not sure) if you buy one.)

Good luck. Shopping for a mattress stinks.

I almost went with the model that Sparrow replaced (the Nest Alexander hybrid). I don't remember it being anywhere near $2500 for a king the way it is now though.

Back when I shopped there was a store (Sleep Sherpa) up in minneapolis that had a bunch of the online options in their showroom. I happened to be up there and was able to try a bunch of the options I was looking at. Unfortunately it looks like they closed that showroom and moved to San Diego.

Reactions: khardbored

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I almost went with the model that Sparrow replaced (the Nest Alexander hybrid).

Back when I shopped there was a store (Sleep Sherpa) up in minneapolis that had a bunch of the online options in their showroom. I happened to be up there and was able to try a bunch of the options I was looking at. Unfortunately it looks like they closed that showroom and moved to San Diego.
Yes, when we bought it, it was still called the Alexander Hybrid. It's the same thing, just a new name.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Is it just a coincidence that DreamCloud and Nectar have almost identical websites, model structure, and pricing? I feel like they're the same thing.

Thanks for the input from everyone so far. Very helpful!
No, it's not a coincidence. They are owned by the same parent company. I have tried both, prefer the Dreamcloud. Still have one in our guest bedroom.

Anyone have any experience with Zinus mattresses? Good or bad is much appreciated.
Frames = good. Mattresses stink.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
If you like the memory foam mattresses, try Novaform from Costco.

In 2018 we decided to buy a new mattress in 2018, put our (Sealy or Serta) memory foam on the guest bed and bought a hybrid mattress. Hated the hybrid.

Decided to bite the bullet, spend the money and bought a Tempurpedic Coolbreeze. Didn't like it.

That's when we bought the 12" Novaform advanced back support memory foam from Costco. $650
Love it.

FWIW, I've heard Purple is good. We have friends that spent 12k on a new Sleep Number a few months ago. Talked about it a lot before it was delivered, but since they got it we haven't heard anything more.
12K for a mattress? WOW that is living large in my book.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Iowast8isgr8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 28, 2010
Redekers Furniture in Boone sells Kings Down mattresses that are awesome. We have bought several for our home and lake house. Everyone who sleeps in them comments on how comfortable they are.

• Informative
Reactions: BACyclone

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I see OP is no where near here. We were looking at mattresses last year and ended up getting one from L&W Bedding, which is a local guy who makes them in house. After looking all over and not liking anything, we went with theirs. It's pillowtop, but actually has the pillowtop on both sides so you can not only rotate the mattress for better wear, you can also flip it over.

Pricey but for the quality it's worth it for a decent sleep every night. I'm a side sleeper and my hips hurt after about 90 minutes of sleep and I'd have to roll over to my other side. Rinse and repeat all night. With this one I'm good for the whole night on either side.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
We bought a queen size TempurPedic when we first got married, and had it for about 10 years. By then, we had had two kids, and she thought we needed a king size bed (marriage…am I right? But that’s a different topic). We handed the TempurPedic down to our oldest, and bought a king size Stearns and Foster. Worst decision of our ******* lives (we both agree). The S&F is is an OK bed, but it can’t hold a candle to the TP.

I will say, TempurPedic isn’t great for stomach sleepers, but I am a stomach sleeper and I wish every day that I could go back in time. I don’t know if someone could pay me to buy something else once we finally decide we’ve had enough of the S&F. We’re going back to TP.
TempurPedic is the best by far.

Also, I am a side/stomach sleeper and mine worked perfectly. You have to get the softest one they make.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron