Looking to replace current dishwasher

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Our current dishwasher died yesterday, looking for suggestions for what we should buy for a replacement. We tend to wash a load every night, looking to spend around $800.00. So what is the best brand to buy?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Eharmony.com would be better...

Seriously, anything Bosch.

This. We had a dishwasher that was loud and made it hard to watch movies, so we picked out a Bosch because it was supposed to be quiet. It is. So quiet that we often accidentally opened it during the cycle because we couldn't hear it running.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
This. We had a dishwasher that was loud and made it hard to watch movies, so we picked out a Bosch because it was supposed to be quiet. It is. So quiet that we often accidentally opened it during the cycle because we couldn't hear it running.

Hilarious. This is exactly what happened to us. Our old unit was so loud you had to turn the TV up when it ran. We found a Bosch at Lowe’s on sale for around $450. It’s so quiet that it has a red light that shines on the floor so you know whether it’s running or not.

We’ve enjoyed our Bosch.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Redid some appliances here in about 2015. Looked at Lowes and paid particular attention to the rating/noise data. Bought a GE and am very pleased with it. The unit before was very loud so that was one of the reasons I focused on the loudness.

The combo/stack washer/dryer on the other hand... There weren't a lot of options that fit in the closet and had capacity over a single handkerchief. So that ****** sounds like a jet plane taking off when the spin cycle hits. And the dryer makes a very annoying whine the whole time. Extra slider door gets closed every time the thing gets used.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Was all set to buy a Bosch DW. But the wife liked the Whirlpool Gold series better, and honestly it has been good to us so far. Does a nice job, is pretty quiet. Just be sure you get a metal tub vs plastic. That is one of the keys to quiet dishwashing.

That said if the price difference isn’t much I would get the Bosch.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
We replaced all appliance's about 6-7 years ago went with all Samsung. The dishwasher is quiet as stated above with other brands. Noticed about 3 months ago the top dishes weren't getting clean. Tore into is and there was some plugging and a broken chopper blade. Replaced the blade $15 dollars later and we're back up and running.

Outside of the quiet, the main thing I noticed was the noticeable interior smaller size. More insulation and soundproofing has to go somewhere. No big deal now.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Another vote for Bosch. I had never heard of the brand but our current house we purchased came with it and it's way better and quieter than any dishwasher I've seen before.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
I have good luck with Whirlpool but those were in the $400 range and needed to be replaced after 5 years. I have an $800 GE now and it seems to run fine. Get a decibel rating under 50. My next purchase might be a Bosch with all the Bosch lovers on here.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I have a Kitchen Aid that's 15 years old. Does a great just of cleaning and been reliable (other than the cord/springs for the door) but pretty noisy. Next one will be a Bosch for sure.

Lafaester54

Mar 18, 2011
Colorado/Wyoming
Hilarious. This is exactly what happened to us. Our old unit was so loud you had to turn the TV up when it ran. We found a Bosch at Lowe’s on sale for around $450. It’s so quiet that it has a red light that shines on the floor so you know whether it’s running or not.

We’ve enjoyed our Bosch.
Same experience for us, picked up the Bosch on sale and it is incredibly quiet. One has to see the indicator light to know it is on.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We ordered the Bosch -500 series through Home Depot, they will be delivering and installing it on Friday. It was more than I wanted to give, but we did get 10% off, which was promptly eaten up by taxes and insulation fees.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: khardbored

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I've been leaning towards KitchenAid when I replace mine. A lot of reviews out there on the bosch models that say they're quiet but don't necessarily dry the best.